Problem with Odyssey Director Forks

Related:
Create New Tag

2/23/2018 9:23 PM

Bolted the forks down w/ the compression cap and the bars won't even turn - its like it's really stiff. Any reason to that? Do I need another spacer or something?

|

2/23/2018 9:42 PM

Your headset spacer is probably rubbing on your frame. Put a small, 1mm spacer under the head set cap.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/23/2018 10:51 PM

Headsets usually come with a thin silver spacer that goes under the cap. If you don't have one, file the cap down a bit on the bottom

|

2/23/2018 11:12 PM

When you turn the bars, is the headset cap supposed to turn w/ the bars/forks/stem as well? Cause the cap is literally right on the frame.

|

2/23/2018 11:29 PM

Raffy wrote:

When you turn the bars, is the headset cap supposed to turn w/ the bars/forks/stem as well? Cause the cap is literally right ...more

Yes. Put a thin spacer under it.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/23/2018 11:36 PM

Raffy wrote:

When you turn the bars, is the headset cap supposed to turn w/ the bars/forks/stem as well? Cause the cap is literally right ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Where can I get one?

|

2/24/2018 12:02 AM

Raffy wrote:

Where can I get one?

I'd first call your local bike shop and ask if they have any 1mm 1-1/8th headset spacers, or you can get them from ebay for 2.95 shipped, or pretty much any online bike store.

|

2/24/2018 7:20 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Raffy wrote:

Where can I get one?

Bryan91 wrote:

I'd first call your local bike shop and ask if they have any 1mm 1-1/8th headset spacers, or you can get them from ebay for ...more

This. You may even need two of them.

|

2/24/2018 7:42 AM

1mm will be more than enough. Providing the headset has been put together properly

|

2/24/2018 7:45 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

1mm will be more than enough. Providing the headset has been put together properly

Mine needed two on my Mothership X BSD headset. I had another set up once that did too, don't remember which. All depends on the headset cap/frame.

|

2/24/2018 12:57 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Mine needed two on my Mothership X BSD headset. I had another set up once that did too, don't remember which. All depends on ...more

You seem to love disagreeing with me. All I can say is that must be pretty poorly manufactured frame if you need 2mm of spacers under the headset cap. I've never once needed any more than the silver spacer that comes with headsets

|

2/24/2018 1:06 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Mine needed two on my Mothership X BSD headset. I had another set up once that did too, don't remember which. All depends on ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

You seem to love disagreeing with me. All I can say is that must be pretty poorly manufactured frame if you need 2mm of ...more

Lol I only speak from experience.

Sure, maybe I've ended up with poorly manufactured stuff twice, or maybe some parts are just made differently from others. Couldn't tell you what it is tbh, but fact of the matter is that sometimes two is necessary.

|

2/24/2018 1:32 PM

Maybe in your experience. But 10 or so frames with integrated headsets of my own, and over 15 years as a bike mechanic, I've never seen it.

|

2/24/2018 1:38 PM

Ditch the headset cap

|

It’s all bmx

2/24/2018 1:42 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Ditch the headset cap

Yeah headset caps are too heavy anyways...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/24/2018 2:03 PM

Headset cap, compression ring, blown bearing, bearing inner race could be unseated. Top cap might be too tight. Thats all i can think of at the moment.

|

2/24/2018 2:08 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Maybe in your experience. But 10 or so frames with integrated headsets of my own, and over 15 years as a bike mechanic, I've ...more

I'm not saying that you have. Just saying that if it can happen to me twice in the course of 10 or so bikes, it can certainly happen to the OP. In fact, for all we know, he already has one in there and just needs another. Who's to say but OP himself?

As I said in my original comment, You may even need two. Not that every bike will need two. Calm ya tits.dizzy

|

2/24/2018 2:11 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I'm not saying that you have. Just saying that if it can happen to me twice in the course of 10 or so bikes, it can certainly ...more

I use 2 on mine so it's just flush with the frame but I've been using the same compression ring since my first integrated headset and it's a little worn.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/24/2018 2:33 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Maybe in your experience. But 10 or so frames with integrated headsets of my own, and over 15 years as a bike mechanic, I've ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I'm not saying that you have. Just saying that if it can happen to me twice in the course of 10 or so bikes, it can certainly ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I use 2 on mine so it's just flush with the frame but I've been using the same compression ring since my first integrated ...more

Which very well could be the case for OP too.. Just pointing out possibilities and trying to help. Not sure why some feel the need to get so defensive about it.

|