Problem with freecoaster, need help!

Related:
Create New Tag

8/20/2018 1:33 PM

hello folks i have a problem with my hub it's a freecoaster and it makes grinding sounds so i took it apart and checked but found nothing what can it be ? It just makes noise when i stop pedaling bit it may make noise when im pedaling too i know nothing about freecoasters so im thinking about buying a cassette instead what should i do and do u know what can be wrong with it ?

|

Street yes please

8/20/2018 1:37 PM

When did you get it? if its only making noises when you stop pedaling it could be the clutch disengaging, if it's new it needs to bed in, otherwise needs grease.

|

8/20/2018 2:30 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

When did you get it? if its only making noises when you stop pedaling it could be the clutch disengaging, if it's new it needs to bed in, otherwise needs grease.

Ive had ot for 2-3 months it had alot of greas it sudenly happned never heard it do that before

|

Street yes please

8/20/2018 2:40 PM

What were you doing when it first started making the noise?

Are the bearings OK?

Have you cleaned out the old grease and regreased? After a short while of bedding in, you can get little metal shavings in the grease that act as an abrasive.

Are there any other problems?

Pictures?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/20/2018 4:13 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

What were you doing when it first started making the noise?

Are the bearings OK?

Have you cleaned out the old grease and regreased? After a short while of bedding in, you can get little metal shavings in the grease that act as an abrasive.

Are there any other problems?

Pictures?

I just had just started riding when i notised that it made an ugly sound so i put it upside down and pedaled it both ways and stopped the sound was like creaky grinding and the backwheel was moving from side to side so i tightened the thing on the none drive side u know the half cirkle kinda thing woth two indents for a wrench and the sound got alot worse ive tryed fixing it and it got a little better but not good at all i dont know what to do and i cant take ot to a shop cus they probably dont know what a freecoaster is most shops here only know how to fix a old ladys bike ??

|

Street yes please

8/20/2018 4:21 PM

Old lady bikes(at least here) quite often have backpedal brakes, which are quite a similar system to freecoasters. It's not a unique design purely used in BMX and it's not nearly as complicated as people seem to think; it's used in a lot of things and it's really quite simple. Any mechanic worth their salt should be able to understand and fix it.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

8/20/2018 4:24 PM

Also, if you could disassemble it and get photos of everything, we could probably diagnose it pretty easily. If you're just going to tell us it's making a grinding noise without pictures, it's going to be very hard to diagnose.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/20/2018 4:25 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Old lady bikes(at least here) quite often have backpedal brakes, which are quite a similar system to freecoasters. It's not a unique design purely used in BMX and it's not nearly as complicated as people seem to think; it's used in a lot of things and it's really quite simple. Any mechanic worth their salt should be able to understand and fix it.

Last rime i had my bike in the shop to change a chain (i didnt hace a chaintool)
They broke my brakes and half the other times i took it to a shop they couldent find the problem no mather what it was so i dont trust them

|

Street yes please

8/20/2018 4:25 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Also, if you could disassemble it and get photos of everything, we could probably diagnose it pretty easily. If you're just going to tell us it's making a grinding noise without pictures, it's going to be very hard to diagnose.

Might do it tomorrow

|

Street yes please

8/20/2018 4:28 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

4piecenorway wrote:

Last rime i had my bike in the shop to change a chain (i didnt hace a chaintool)
They broke my brakes and half the other times i took it to a shop they couldent find the problem no mather what it was so i dont trust them

Fair enough. If you're not going to go to a shop, we'll definitely need pictures. A video containing the sound and whatever you're doing to make it happen(or not happen) would be very, very useful too.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/20/2018 6:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2018 6:05 PM

Yeah. Thats why i went back to cassette. My Clutch V2 started making weird noises and really started pissing me off.. so i can ride coasters and cassettes equally well so i figured fuck it lol

And yes. I maintained that hub very well... cleaned and regreased it 2 times in the 4-5 months i had it... so it wasnt because i cant maintain coasters lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/20/2018 11:25 PM

A suddenly appearing sideways slack sounds like something broke or went out of place. Or then you just need more grease in there

|

8/20/2018 11:32 PM

Forgot to mention that it was hard to crank it both ways

|

Street yes please

8/21/2018 3:50 AM

So yeah i took it apart and couldent find any damage. But here is two pics so u could see, ingaded and uningaded Photo
Photo

|

Street yes please

8/21/2018 3:59 AM

Did you pull it out like that with no grease on it? Because if it had no grease in it then that's your problem lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/21/2018 3:59 AM

4piecenorway wrote:

So yeah i took it apart and couldent find any damage. But here is two pics so u could see, ingaded and uningaded Photo
Photo

Check your driver bearings and the large hubshell bearing. Is this a Cult freecoaster? If so, the 2 non-driveside cone nuts are used to tension the taper roller bearing so cranking them down will cause grinding in the bearing. You'll need to back off the outside cone nut, set the bearing preload with the inner cone nut and then tighten the outside one against the inner one to lock them in place.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/21/2018 4:26 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Did you pull it out like that with no grease on it? Because if it had no grease in it then that's your problem lol

No i took it apart a couple times last night and wiped them of now ive greased them but i cant get the bearing in to the wheel for some reason

|

Street yes please

8/21/2018 4:28 AM

4piecenorway wrote:

Photo

p1p1092 wrote:

Check your driver bearings and the large hubshell bearing. Is this a Cult freecoaster? If so, the 2 non-driveside cone nuts are used to tension the taper roller bearing so cranking them down will cause grinding in the bearing. You'll need to back off the outside cone nut, set the bearing preload with the inner cone nut and then tighten the outside one against the inner one to lock them in place.

When i have the cone nut just a little bit loose the wheel moves from side to side

|

Street yes please

8/22/2018 2:30 AM

What kind of hub is this?

|

8/22/2018 6:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2018 6:43 AM

Have you looked inside the hub shell itself? Perhaps see if something is scraping the inside?

You mentioned it got worse when you tightened your cone nuts, might be something to do with the bearings. One of your bearing balls could have broken perhaps? Causing it to be hard to pedal both ways.

Try spinning the inner ring of your bearings not mounted to anything to see if they have more resistance than normal.

|

8/22/2018 10:25 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Have you looked inside the hub shell itself? Perhaps see if something is scraping the inside?

You mentioned it got worse when you tightened your cone nuts, might be something to do with the bearings. One of your bearing balls could have broken perhaps? Causing it to be hard to pedal both ways.

Try spinning the inner ring of your bearings not mounted to anything to see if they have more resistance than normal.

To me, it looks like a Cult freecoaster, which has a taper-roller bearing. When taper-roller bearings are over or under tightened, they make all kinds of horrible noises which is probably what's happening here.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/22/2018 10:30 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

To me, it looks like a Cult freecoaster, which has a taper-roller bearing. When taper-roller bearings are over or under tightened, they make all kinds of horrible noises which is probably what's happening here.

Yes its a cult, did i forget to say that?

|

Street yes please

8/22/2018 10:33 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Ive checked everything and its working perfectly when dismounted but when i put it together suddenly its messed up could it be that the bearing is a bit large and gets pressed by the hub shell?

|

Street yes please

8/22/2018 11:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2018 11:09 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

4piecenorway wrote:

Yes its a cult, did i forget to say that?

The problem is the taper-roller bearing; it's not preloaded correctly. You need to hand tighten the non-driveside inner cone nut until there's no slop but it still spins freely. Then, hold that cone in place with a cone wrench and crank the non-driveside outer cone nut down against it. It's pretty similar to preloading a looseball hub.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

8/22/2018 1:43 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

The problem is the taper-roller bearing; it's not preloaded correctly. You need to hand tighten the non-driveside inner cone nut until there's no slop but it still spins freely. Then, hold that cone in place with a cone wrench and crank the non-driveside outer cone nut down against it. It's pretty similar to preloading a looseball hub.

Thx im gonna try that

|

Street yes please

4/23/2020 5:19 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Yo I got this problem (the noises that sound like metal grinding) with the cult free coaster and I don’t really know what a lot of these bolts in the hub are called but if you could dumb it down for me that would be great.

|

4/23/2020 8:59 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

arthur.jenkz631 wrote:

Yo I got this problem (the noises that sound like metal grinding) with the cult free coaster and I don’t really know what a lot of these bolts in the hub are called but if you could dumb it down for me that would be great.

Congratulations, this thread is old as hell and you revived it to ask a question that isn't even related to the topic (same part doesn't mean same topic)
Plus, if you don't even know the name of the parts you're taking apart, then you probably need to just cut your losses and go to a bike shop. Hub work is stupid cheap and you won't get your hub trashed.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/24/2020 6:09 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

arthur.jenkz631 wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

Congratulations, this thread is old as hell and you revived it to ask a question that isn't even related to the topic (same part doesn't mean same topic)
Plus, if you don't even know the name of the parts you're taking apart, then you probably need to just cut your losses and go to a bike shop. Hub work is stupid cheap and you won't get your hub trashed.

He actually has the same part and mentioned the same kind of grinding metal noises...which puts it into the same topic entirely based on that info.

Hub work isn't stupid cheap at most shops, they would charge for a hub overhaul just to open it up and look-which would be 20-40 bucks without parts. Parts would obviously cost more, and they likely would need to order them in unless they are a Cult dealer and/or a BMX specific shop.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/24/2020 12:54 PM

arthur.jenkz631 wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

He actually has the same part and mentioned the same kind of grinding metal noises...which puts it into the same topic entirely based on that info.

Hub work isn't stupid cheap at most shops, they would charge for a hub overhaul just to open it up and look-which would be 20-40 bucks without parts. Parts would obviously cost more, and they likely would need to order them in unless they are a Cult dealer and/or a BMX specific shop.

I found what it was, which is that I over tightens my drive side cone nuts but we good now

|

4/26/2020 11:47 AM

Clutch style freecoaster need alot more grease then standard hubs its also common to hear that pop when you stop peddling if you dont constantly grease it before I got a z coaster I greased my greyhound every week for years

|

I believe in hub guard protection