Problem with keeping female axle wheel tight

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2012 8:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2012 8:02 PM

I ordered an Eastern Venus rear wheel with female axle from Vein. When I got it, it looked pretty solid. I put it on my bike (2012 Kink Transition) but I couldn't get the wheel to stay tight in the dropouts. It would seem tight but when I would ride it, just pedal pressure would make it slip and the chain would go loose. I even took it to the LBS where I bought my Kink and they tried to tighten it and even they couldn't get it to stay tight. I called Vein and they said to send it back and they would send a replacement. I just receive the replacement today (and now the hub is silver instead of black so it no longer matches the front but that's a different story) and I still cannot get it to stay tight. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? I am using the washers that came with the bolts and I have the ridged part of the washer facing in towards the dropout. I also made sure that the bolts could thread all the way into the axle so I know it's not short threaded. Any advice would be welcome.

|

11/29/2012 8:18 PM

After much careful thought and consideration I have determined your problem: you bought eastern wheels.

but srs, just crank it to cunt.

|

11/29/2012 8:41 PM

mrjimyjohn wrote:

After much careful thought and consideration I have determined your problem: you bought eastern wheels.

but srs, just crank ...more

word

|

11/29/2012 8:52 PM

mrjimyjohn wrote:

greenbastard wrote:

word

please give me a solid reason as to why Eastern wheels suck. I'd be willing to bet neither of you have actually ridden one.

|

11/30/2012 2:10 AM

Tighten the shit out of it is the only advice i can give you

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

11/30/2012 2:35 AM

are you sure it's the wheel ?

|

don't overthink it just do it !

11/30/2012 2:57 AM

Just tighten it as much as you can. This generally happens to female axles, especially on the rear.

|

11/30/2012 7:56 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

please give me a solid reason as to why Eastern wheels suck. I'd be willing to bet neither of you have actually ridden one.

You would loose that bet, I owned one at the start of the year. Was in a pinch and wanted to ride. Wasn't the worst wheel I have ever bought but it was shit. Bearings were junk after little riding and driver pawls chipped and broke.

|

11/30/2012 8:01 AM

cut your chaijn so that your wheel is slammed in your drop outs (all the way foward) that way it cant loosen the chain

|

11/30/2012 8:16 AM

Get some wheel slammers or just tighten that mother fuck like there is no tomorrow. You could also try sanding your drop outs where the bolts contact the dropout.

|

Refs: Wade. Beastassdick. ScramHype Lee_Rager(x7) Spikez5 TCBmx Dolphin
With seller feedback and ref on Bmx-forum.com and PBNation.com. WhiteKinght

11/30/2012 8:26 AM

is it the right axle or bolt size? it should work...

|

Text For Faster Response (727) 218 4305
Follow Me On Instagram - @Marcog_727
Refs–
Sold : Mrhavoc1988, Skubasteve, Joe_Martinez, -Havok-
Bought : ii Krxfted, Tomdon, SnM An1mal, ScramHype, Ecuadevil, TheHorrorContract
Traded : Wolfen, Kevin_Burnett, The_Bmxist, Wilberto_Mora, Mobking, Joe_Martinez

11/30/2012 8:28 AM

mrjimyjohn wrote:

greenbastard wrote:

word

sundaybmxRR wrote:

14mm aluminum axle = piss weak
Tiny ass bearings = piss weak
Forged 6061 hub shell = piss weak.

There's 3.

|

11/30/2012 8:31 AM

return that shit and get a Ezra wheel

|

Text For Faster Response (727) 218 4305
Follow Me On Instagram - @Marcog_727
Refs–
Sold : Mrhavoc1988, Skubasteve, Joe_Martinez, -Havok-
Bought : ii Krxfted, Tomdon, SnM An1mal, ScramHype, Ecuadevil, TheHorrorContract
Traded : Wolfen, Kevin_Burnett, The_Bmxist, Wilberto_Mora, Mobking, Joe_Martinez

11/30/2012 8:52 AM

Marco_Gonzalez wrote:

Fuck that, return it and get a fucking Odyssey Antigram wheel.

|

11/30/2012 8:53 AM

Droogskull wrote:

Get some wheel slammers or just tighten that mother fuck like there is no tomorrow. You could also try sanding your drop outs ...more

I think I've read someone mention sanding the dropouts before so I'm going to try this and see if it helps.

|

11/30/2012 9:05 AM

greenbastard wrote:

word

sundaybmxRR wrote:

mrjimyjohn wrote:

There's 3.

Well, you're wrong about the axle, it's Chromoly. (There is an optional aluminum axle available.) Even the Cult Match and Profile Mini use 6061 for their hub shells. As for the bearings, there's 4 hub bearings as opposed to the 2 in the Match or even the Ratchet.

So now you're left with 0.

|

11/30/2012 9:14 AM

Marco_Gonzalez wrote:

Droogskull wrote:

I don't plan on spending $250 for a cassette wheel as I am considering getting the new Eclat freecoaster. If anything, I may just buy the Blind and have it laced to the Diode rim from this Venus wheel.

|

11/30/2012 9:31 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

mrjimyjohn wrote:

There's 3.

chuckt808 wrote:

Well, you're wrong about the axle, it's Chromoly. (There is an optional aluminum axle available.) Even the Cult Match and ...more

The ratchet also uses very high grade over sized bearings, there is no need for 4 bearings.

|

11/30/2012 9:44 AM

Marco_Gonzalez wrote:

Droogskull wrote:

chuckt808 wrote:

I don't plan on spending $250 for a cassette wheel as I am considering getting the new Eclat freecoaster. If anything, I may ...more

If your going to get a Blind coaster don't lace it to that shitty rim, at least get something decent.

|

11/30/2012 9:50 AM

chuckt808 wrote:

Well, you're wrong about the axle, it's Chromoly. (There is an optional aluminum axle available.) Even the Cult Match and ...more

The Cult Match is a lower end hub so I'm not sure why you're using it as an example for a strong one, and Profile uses 2000 series aluminum for all their hubs, so i'm not sure where you got that from.

Tiny ass bearings are still shit, adding more of them doesn't change anything.

|

11/30/2012 10:01 AM

mrjimyjohn wrote:

There's 3.

chuckt808 wrote:

mrjimyjohn wrote:

The Cult Match is a lower end hub so I'm not sure why you're using it as an example for a strong one, and Profile uses 2000 ...more

Cult match is not a low end hub..... As much as I hate cult the match is just a rebranded primo mix, one hell of a hub.

|

11/30/2012 10:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/30/2012 10:10 AM

mrjimyjohn wrote:

greenbastard wrote:

word

sundaybmxRR wrote:

ive ridden eastern wheels and they dont stay put and about 6 months in the bearings literally turned to dust. never buying any moving parts from them again. had their dragon bars and reaper frame those were fine

what i did to keep them in place is use a dremel and grind some lines in the dropouts and your washers. problem solvedddd

|

11/30/2012 10:15 AM

Droogskull wrote:

Cult match is not a low end hub..... As much as I hate cult the match is just a rebranded primo mix, one hell of a hub.

I never said it was bad, I actually recommend it to a lot of people, but at $120 it is a low(er) end hub.

|

11/30/2012 10:19 AM

mrjimyjohn wrote:

There's 3.

chuckt808 wrote:

mrjimyjohn wrote:

The Cult Match is a lower end hub so I'm not sure why you're using it as an example for a strong one, and Profile uses 2000 ...more

You're obviously ignorant. First of all, the bearings aren't "tiny". They are 6902s. The Ratchet uses 6904s. You can continue to drink the marketing kool-aid and act like you know what's up but i guarantee that 4 6902s will deliver the same, if not better, longevity than 2 6904s. And that's not a bash of any sort against the Ratchet.

As for the 2000 series comment, you might want to read up on Aluminum alloys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_alloy

Profile (cleverly) doesn't mention what their hub shells are made from on their web page but Danscomp does:

https://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/426067/Profile_3|8_Mini_Cassette_Hub.html

And before you give me some shit about Danscomp being idiots, here's another source:

http://www.sourcebmx.com/product/wheels-etc/bmx-axles-amp-drivers-etc/profile-rear-hub-shell/878.shtml

I didn't want this to turn into brand bashing, but obviously that is where all of your self worth is. Ironically, you keep opening your mouth and looking like more of an idiot.

|

11/30/2012 10:22 AM

Droogskull wrote:

chuckt808 wrote:

I don't plan on spending $250 for a cassette wheel as I am considering getting the new Eclat freecoaster. If anything, I may ...more

Droogskull wrote:

If your going to get a Blind coaster don't lace it to that shitty rim, at least get something decent.

Here we go again. The diode rim is extruded 7000 series aluminum. Double walled and welded. If it's not a good rim then neither is a 7K-A.

|

11/30/2012 10:23 AM

justin vogelsberger wrote:

cut your chaijn so that your wheel is slammed in your drop outs (all the way foward) that way it cant loosen the chain

I considered this but I think that this would just make my chain more prone to breaking from the pressure.

|

11/30/2012 10:27 AM

biobruce wrote:

ive ridden eastern wheels and they dont stay put and about 6 months in the bearings literally turned to dust. never buying any ...more

And this was the Venus wheel? I keep hearing people bash Eastern and their wheels but no one has ever actually ridden the Venus. If it's not the same part, it has no bearing on this conversation. Also, all 6902 bearings are the same whether they are in an Odyssey Hazzard or Cult Match (which, by the way, both only have two instead of four.) If you wore out 4 6902 bearings in 6 months, you are either the most badass rider here or the worst.

|

11/30/2012 10:38 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

biobruce wrote:

ive ridden eastern wheels and they dont stay put and about 6 months in the bearings literally turned to dust. never buying any ...more

chuckt808 wrote:

And this was the Venus wheel? I keep hearing people bash Eastern and their wheels but no one has ever actually ridden the ...more

haha no it wasnt venus but it was eastern. they lost my trust. given it was on my drive side and i grind but still i havnt had that problem since i gave up on eastern.

say what u want all i know is if i gotta replace bearings in a wheel 2 times in a year im not buying or recommending that product to anyone again. not tryin to be a dick just givin my opinion like u asked. if u r just gonna bash everything we say to help u u can just suck my salty balls haha like seriously we r here helpin u out n u r just making arguments to all our comments and suggestions. what is up your ass my friend? O.o

|

11/30/2012 10:48 AM

biobruce wrote:

haha no it wasnt venus but it was eastern. they lost my trust. given it was on my drive side and i grind but still i havnt had ...more

I think it's obvious what's up my ass. I asked a simple question and all I get is a bunch of Eastern bashing. You had a bad experience with Eastern. Point taken. But let me ask you this: Eastern doesn't make the bearings and generally the bearings come from the same handful of Asian companies so who are you really mad at?

Now, if you have some advice on keeping a female axle tight in the dropouts or have a way of proving that this is somehow caused by a bad design on Eastern's part, that would be greatly appreciated, though I doubt their female axle and bolts are much different from any other companies'.

|

11/30/2012 10:56 AM

chuckt808 wrote:

You're obviously ignorant. First of all, the bearings aren't "tiny". They are 6902s. The Ratchet uses 6904s. You can continue ...more

First of all, there is a MASSIVE difference in strength, but more importantly durability from 6902s to 6904s. Simply adding more bearings will not change this fact. If you refuse to believe this, I feel sorry for you.

I'm unclear what you're trying to prove with that Wikipedia link. Are you trying to say that 6061 is comparable to 7075? Or are you saying that 2000 series alloys don't exist? In either case, I would say that it is you, in fact, who needs to learn more about aluminum and its alloys.

Admittedly I was wrong about the Mini Cassette, but the Totem hubs and mini front both use 2024 shells, that I am sure of.

|