Problem with stem need help !

Related:
Create New Tag

7/13/2018 11:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/13/2018 11:23 AM

Hi guys sorry for my english im not a good writer but ok ive got a problem with my stem, ever since i gott my new bikenot too long ago ive noticed that its a bit of play somewhere i have tightened it i have taken it apart and put it together multiple times just to notice the same play later on ive gotten the play smaller cus it started really noticebal but now i can just feel it a little bit and im worried that something brake if i dont get it tighter! Annyone got an advise or had the same problem??

|

Street yes please

7/13/2018 11:29 AM

Stems can't really have play; they're simple clamps and you just tighten them until they're tight. It's more likely to be your headset. Sit on the bike, turn your bars sideways, hold onto the dustcap and frame headtube with one hand and use the other to hold the bars steady. Then, try to move the bike back and forth. If there's play between the dustcap and frame, you just need to tighten your headset further.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

7/13/2018 11:38 AM

4piecenorway wrote:

Hi guys sorry for my english im not a good writer but ok ive got a problem with my stem, ever since i gott my new bikenot too ...more

It’s 99% not your stem. It’s your headset. Loosen the clamp bolts on the back of the stem. And tighten the compression cap more, it’s the middle of the stem that goes into the forks. What you want is to tighten it up till your bars don’t want to turn much easily. Then back off the tightness till you feel the bars spin and turn pretty smoothly. Then look at the stem again and look and see if you have any space between the stem and headset or spacers. If you do, that means you need to add a spacer under the stem and repeat the same steps as above.

Tip- Always keep some extra headset spacers around. I have probably 10-20 extra of multiple different heights from 2mm- 4-5mm. That way you can really get everything setup perfect when you change stems, forks or headsets

|

7/13/2018 12:10 PM

Thx guys imma try when i get a chance

|

Street yes please