Problem with wheel size

Related:
Create New Tag

1/19/2018 11:27 AM

Hello! I'm back again

I've bought recently a second-hand united KL40 expert but this is what happened

Photo

So, i was riding with that cover size 20" and 2.10. Can I change it for a 20" and 2.25 with the same rim???

Thanks!

|

1/19/2018 11:30 AM

Yes. Any 20" tire that is larger than the rim width will work. Your rim width is likely 1.75", so a 2.25" will work great.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/19/2018 11:30 AM

Yes as long as it's 20 diameter it can be 20 by 1.95 all the way to 20 by 2.5 but it's all preference

|

Hmmm

1/19/2018 11:35 AM

Hmmm... as I'm a beginner and I like cruising and jumping around in the streets. What do you recommend?

|

1/19/2018 11:37 AM

I reccomend a fat tire up front and a skinny tire on the rear...

|

1/19/2018 11:44 AM

whitewidovv wrote:

Hmmm... as I'm a beginner and I like cruising and jumping around in the streets. What do you recommend?

It's all preference. Keep in mind that a bigger tire will feel more sluggish and absorb more impact, & a smaller tire will be lighter and quicker.

I personally ride 2.25 Donnasqueaks since they're tall enough to absorb a lot of impact, but thin enough to not feel sluggish. I've had 3 sets in the past few years, they're light and super durable for street riding.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/19/2018 11:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 11:47 AM

whitewidovv wrote:

2.3 back and 2.4 front or a pair of 2.4s. It's all personal preference.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/19/2018 11:49 AM

Ok! I'll keep all that in mind and I will have to wait until monday to go and buy another tires... FUCK!

|

1/19/2018 11:51 AM

Just be sure they will fit into your frame and fork! Some 2.4 tires inflate larger than that & some frames (older) weren't designed for larger tires.

|

1/19/2018 11:59 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Just be sure they will fit into your frame and fork! Some 2.4 tires inflate larger than that & some frames (older) weren't ...more

It's so easy to forget that when you have Odyssey forks and a Soundwave! I could probably run a 2.5 slammed in both!

OP: You'll definitely want to check the tyre fit first.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/19/2018 1:12 PM

Make sure you have the space in your frame and or fork for the tire width.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/19/2018 1:15 PM

Just get 2.25's. Anything wider and you might hate it. Get used to 2.25's then think about going wider when they've worn out, if you really feel you want to go that wide. It's a personal preference thing, and personally, I don't like anything wider

|

1/19/2018 2:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 2:42 PM

Don't go bigger than 2.25, anything larger, and you start to feel all the negative aspects of riding fat tires. It's best to start in the middle, and work your way up or down as you progress, tire size, geometry, whatever it is. I'd rather have tires that are too small, then tires that are too big, and trust me 2.25 isn't too small at all, if anything I think it's a little too large for my taste. I'm riding 2.15 front and back right now, and they feel awesome.

|

1/19/2018 2:43 PM

I will try to get 2.25 in the front wheel and 2.1 in the back one then!

|

1/19/2018 3:03 PM

I used to ride 2.10 rear and 2.25 front. I know it used to be a pretty popular but I personally prefer to ride matching tires now. It feels so much better imo.

Riding a larger tire in front will raise your front end, tilting your bike back a bit. This makes your Head Tube feel functionally mellower.

What I really couldn't stand was how squirrelly my rear end felt, with a more stable front end. To me it made my bike feel too unpredictable. I'd rather it be equally stable front & rear, & also level. Feels a whole lot better to me that way anyways.

My advice is to get some good mid-sized tires front and rear. Anything 2.15-2.3 inflated would be appropriate.

That's another thing you need to consider when tire shopping; Inflated Width.
The labeled size on the tire actually means nothing. There is 2.25 tires that inflate to 2.4, and 2.3 tires that only inflate to 2.25. Read the detailed specs on any tires before buying them, so you don't end up with something larger or smaller than you expected.

I recommend BSD Donnasqueak 20x2.25s because they inflate to 2.28 (smaller than most 2.2/2.25 tires inflate.) They also have the diameter of most larger tires, so they still offer a lot of shock absorption without feeling super sluggish.

I've been running Donnasqueaks for about 3 years (3 different sets) & they are incredibly grippy and durable for all kinds of riding. They also have the new DonnaSTREETs that are essentially the same tire with a slicker tread for those that are into that.

|

1/20/2018 12:38 PM

Hello! I've been looking that Donnasqueak but are too expensive and I can't afford them right now. Have you heard about Eclat escape or they are as bad as fuck!?

I'm buying pegs also but I think pegs are not a reallly important part of the bike... I will buy this ones

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/es/es/peg-blank-compound/rp-prod154407

|

1/20/2018 1:00 PM

Forget it. The price difference is not that high. I'm buying the Donnasqueak. 2.25 in both wheels

|

1/20/2018 1:01 PM

whitewidovv wrote:

Hello! I've been looking that Donnasqueak but are too expensive and I can't afford them right now. Have you heard about Eclat ...more

Here is some Donnasqueaks on sale. You can get 10% off at check out this month with code JANSAVE10 aswell.
|

1/20/2018 1:05 PM

Epic man. Thanks a lot! Just opened a new thread to see which color would you guys choose. I think my bike is beautiful as fuck and I loved the old tires ... sad

|