Problems committing....

Related:
Create New Tag

11/29/2014 12:46 AM

If you know me, this is probably like the 6th or 7th topic I've made discussing my habit of not committing while riding. I started riding "kinda seriously" starting like mid 2012, but starting actually getting on a bike mid 2011 and barely riding. I find that I hesitate A LOT, more than usual, and with my OCD and the trouble of anxiety with the ground, etc., I find it super hard to ride some days. But in general, things like spins and stuff make me nervous as hell. More like things that would result in worse injuries, etc. People keep telling me "What's the worst that could happen?" And with me being super pessimistic, I could easily find like 10+ possible scenarios within a split second. I've been riding for almost a full 3 years now and I find that my skill level is intermediate at most. Off days are one thing, but me being a pussy is as real as it gets. I seriously just can't get a grip on "growing a pair" and I view myself like 5-6 years from now still barely being able to do something like a tailwhip or barspin. I mean, KIDS nowadays younger than me or my age (17 atm) are KILLING it out there, not even just park rats. Feel free to comment on this.. This type of stuff will never grow old with me and I've had it with the just "have fun". Yeah, having fun is definitely one of my major aspects in riding, but I want to get better.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

11/29/2014 12:50 AM

Some things I have an issue with committing to, but I keep a helmet, kneepads, and shin guards in my car at all times. So if I feel nervous about it I pad up to the point where I can do it. A helmet is the biggest thing.

|

11/29/2014 1:08 AM

Crit wrote:

Some things I have an issue with committing to, but I keep a helmet, kneepads, and shin guards in my car at all times. So if I ...more

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Yes, I do wear a helmet almost more than half of the time, especially when I do something I feel uncomfortable trying or doing. I do need to get knee or shin pads, not sure of which.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

11/29/2014 1:28 AM

I have some shin guard/knee pads built in one that strap around your leg, but unfortunately I figured out the hard way that they shouldn't be used as knee pads, they like to slide around your leg and the knee piece doesn't cover much, so I got knee pads separately.

It's kind of like learning nose manuals, the first thing you need to learn is how to hop over the bars when you go too far forward. So if that helps try to screw up whatever trick you're doing on purpose first so you know how to walk away from it.

|

11/29/2014 1:38 AM

Crit wrote:

I have some shin guard/knee pads built in one that strap around your leg, but unfortunately I figured out the hard way that ...more

That's what I try to do I guess, particularly going forward over the bars or something. What should I do if I tuck up my spins too much and land too back heavy and end up flying off in a manual way? I've done that and busted my ass or barely hit my head tons of times.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

11/29/2014 2:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/29/2014 2:05 AM

I've always been able to just step off when that happens, 120 pounds 5'7 so I'm pretty quick on my feet. I guess if you notice your bike is running away in a manual that you can't keep try to pull back on the handle bars, pulling the bike out from under you, and hopping off the pedals. That should give you a little bit of extra time to not fall, but it'd be in bad practice for the idea of committing.

A lot of times when I do stupid stuff I assume I'm going to fall, over the years I've learned how I 'want' to fall. Like where I want to land on my body. If I can I try to take a hit just a little bit behind my right hip or flat on my shoulder.

Earlier I tried a tail tap out of a halfpipe for the first time and ended up falling back in, in that situation I pushed my handle bars forward to keep my bike a certain distance away so I could run it off without the front or back pegs catching me.

|

11/29/2014 7:51 AM

Insta-balls
Back in the day when I was on a sketchy redline and riding terrible dirt jumps, I jumped the 14 foot gap. 100% noodle legs pedaling as fast as I could up to it and after the landing, it was like I wasn't even there. Took me like 5 minutes to get back into my head. I had so much adrenaline going through me, I could'be broken both legs and walked home.

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

11/29/2014 8:03 AM

Dont give yourself time to get scared. Just go for it.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

11/29/2014 8:58 AM

Helmet, knee pads and shin guards. DO IT.

I rock a helmet and knee pads every time I ride, even if just in my parking lot at home.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/30/2014 9:44 AM

Yeah, sometimes you've just gotta relax and send it and if it's something big enough, sliding out, getting a shinner, or putting your foot down won't even hurt because of how much adrenaline you have and then you'll get up and say "Wow, that wasn't that bad. I am going to land it now."

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

11/30/2014 9:56 AM

It sounds like you might have General Anxiety Disorder
I do at least, as well as ocd, and it used to make riding a lot more difficult
i would recommend pursuing help if you haven't already, your anxiety might not be something that can be overcome with "instaballs and adrenaline"

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

11/30/2014 10:47 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

It sounds like you might have General Anxiety Disorder
I do at least, as well as ocd, and it used to make riding a lot more ...more

lol

|

I ride to stay on two wheels and have fun!
BIKE CHECK

11/30/2014 11:24 AM

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

11/30/2014 7:27 PM

I used to be the same way when i lived in the city. Had thousands of spots to ride, so i would just learn to 180, 270, 360, feeble, and footwhip everything i saw. I was afraid to try other tricks, so i just chose not to since i could just ride spot to spot and do the same things just in different places.

Well then i moved to a town out in the middle of nowhere. My only spots are a couple grind ledges and a few half assed inclines. This pushed it for how i was used to riding. I faced the problem of riding one spot literally all day long and doing the same trick over and over. After a few months, it got old to the point where my internal "fuck it" drive overpowered my fear and i just started sending shit that i never thought id do.

I also started going to a park with some sweet bowls and fell inlove with bowl riding and just going extremely fast around the bowls. Easy and fun. That has slowly turned into simple things like manualing quarter to quarter, gapping hips over coping, half assed tables over hips, etc.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/1/2014 8:56 AM

get some pads. and just say fuck it.

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "