Problems with freecoaster engaging.

Related:
Create New Tag

11/16/2017 5:54 PM

My freecoaster takes over a half crank to engage. Here's the thing though, it only happens when the temperature outside is below 30. I've never had a single problem with coaster engagement except during the winter months. My question here is has anyone had the same problem and is it do to the cold causing the spring to slightly contract and not having enough pressure on the inside of the clutch?

|

11/16/2017 8:52 PM

It could be the grease. I don't have that problem with my freecoaster but I noticed that my cranks don't spin very fast in colder weather when i try to crankflip.

|

11/16/2017 8:59 PM

sean_gillis wrote:

It could be the grease. I don't have that problem with my freecoaster but I noticed that my cranks don't spin very fast in ...more

You think the grease being thicker in colder weather would cause it to not engage properly. It takes about a half crank more than normal and that throws me way off.

|

11/16/2017 9:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/16/2017 9:04 PM

sean_gillis wrote:

It could be the grease. I don't have that problem with my freecoaster but I noticed that my cranks don't spin very fast in ...more

NateBrown62 wrote:

You think the grease being thicker in colder weather would cause it to not engage properly. It takes about a half crank more ...more

I think thats definitely part of the problem. The cold makes everything more sluggish, brittle and harder to work with.

My brake lines dont work very good when its cold out...my tires grip less, my hands hurt more, past injuries feel more present.

I like weather change but I have to say, im not looking forward to this coming winter...

I have zero experience with a free coaster btw, just chiming in for support.

|

11/17/2017 8:16 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

My freecoaster takes over a half crank to engage. Here's the thing though, it only happens when the temperature outside is ...more

That's kind of weird with the problem only happening at that temp, but Sean is probably pretty close to the reason. Things like hydraulic oil, grease, motor oil, etc all gets thicker and more viscous in that kind of weather.

Do you have any spacers/washers inside the hub? I like a freecoaster with almost instant engagement so I have like 4 washers in there.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/17/2017 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2017 1:41 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

My freecoaster takes over a half crank to engage. Here's the thing though, it only happens when the temperature outside is ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

That's kind of weird with the problem only happening at that temp, but Sean is probably pretty close to the reason. Things ...more

I run max slack. If the grease is thicker then i imagine would possibly make the clutch twist onto the driver slower. It might be a combination of that and the spring steel in the springs contracting just enough to not hold enough pressure on the clutch so that the driver can twist into it. I'm not certain but it has only ever happened in the winter time. I will try and degrease it and add only a small amount or maybe a different kind and see how it does then.

|

11/17/2017 1:12 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

That's kind of weird with the problem only happening at that temp, but Sean is probably pretty close to the reason. Things ...more

NateBrown62 wrote:

I run max slack. If the grease is thicker then i imagine would possibly make the clutch twist onto the driver slower. It might ...more

Im just nit-picking but thicker=more viscosity not less.

|

11/17/2017 1:41 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Oh haha right on. I feel retarded now.

|

11/17/2017 2:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/17/2017 2:30 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

I run max slack. If the grease is thicker then i imagine would possibly make the clutch twist onto the driver slower. It might ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

wink

Not giving you a hard time, just wanted to clear that up!
|

11/17/2017 3:26 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

NateBrown62 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote: wink

Not giving you a hard time, just wanted to clear that up!

I appreciate it. I've been outta school for 9 years now so I forget basic things from time to time. I appreciate all the input I've gotten.

|