Profile Elite Profit

Related:
Create New Tag

12/19/2019 8:12 PM

I have been thinking about this for a while: the profile mini obviously has a more complex hubshell than than the elite, which is just smooth vs with cutouts. The elite costs alot more than the mini and the things that are changed are the rachet ring, driver, and internals but the hub shell probably takes less time to machine. Does that mean that the elite costs the same or less to make vs the mini? Or am i missing something? It seems you're paying 100+ bucks just for the sound and name.

|

I like riding my bike.

12/19/2019 9:04 PM

bmxmanboy wrote:

I have been thinking about this for a while: the profile mini obviously has a more complex hubshell than than the elite, which is just smooth vs with cutouts. The elite costs alot more than the mini and the things that are changed are the rachet ring, driver, and internals but the hub shell probably takes less time to machine. Does that mean that the elite costs the same or less to make vs the mini? Or am i missing something? It seems you're paying 100+ bucks just for the sound and name.

The time spent in research and development is costly. Engineers aren't cheap. Still overpriced though.
They sound cool as hell, but there are several options now with 100+ points of engagement. I doubt I could tell a bsd swerve apart from an elite from feel alone

|

12/20/2019 7:10 AM

R&D is expensive. im building up a TI set for my ti bike im building.

|

12/20/2019 9:02 AM

Profile definitely one of the most over rated and over priced brands in bmx

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

12/20/2019 10:56 AM

profile makes all of their products in house , they have their own cnc machines , all they have to do is do the first initial design then punch it in to the machines computer and it does the rest , the only way one would cost more than the other to make would be if one takes more time for the machine to make uping the electric bill

|

12/20/2019 11:21 AM

eskimojay wrote:

profile makes all of their products in house , they have their own cnc machines , all they have to do is do the first initial design then punch it in to the machines computer and it does the rest , the only way one would cost more than the other to make would be if one takes more time for the machine to make uping the electric bill

Well also if one piece is in the machine longer that ties the CNC up longer which decreases the number of products you can send out which would increase the cost. But yeah that should be a fairly minor part of the cost.

The other thing to consider is the assembly time. If it takes more time and labor to assemble the Elite versus the Mini, that would add to the cost. Also I am willing to bet about anything the cost of the internal components is far higher then the hubshell.

|

12/20/2019 1:42 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

|

fack off

12/20/2019 2:41 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Spoken like a true Eskimo..

It's not just the electric bill or hydro bill as you guys say..

Someone has to change the parts and load stock. The stock is also first cut to size, each piece, by a person on a band saw before the quarter million dollar CNC machine even gets near it.

The different tools the machine uses to make the cuts have to be kept track of and changed out on a schedule by parts count. Someone has to regularly check the parts (all dimensions) to make sure they are all within tolerance specifications. Parts often need to be deburred by hand once they come out of the machine. Also the parts have to be removed, deburred, and reloaded to machine the other side as well. Those machines don't add their own grease, clean clean themselves, or get their own coolant when levels get low either.

It's far more complex than you initially described..

Maintaining a helicopter is actually much simpler.

|

12/20/2019 2:47 PM

Also forgot to mention..

If the Elite is a lot bigger than the Mini, it could take twice as much initial stock to start with and three times as much waste, which can raise the price considerably too..

|

12/20/2019 3:03 PM

|

12/20/2019 3:09 PM

Yep

|

12/20/2019 3:12 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

They're made in house blah blah blah, still has the infamous profile wobble. They really should get that shit sorted not just oh add some shims, fuck off machine your hubs properly, get the tolerances right. Other than that I still like em.

|

12/20/2019 3:28 PM

I’ve had minis and elites titanium upgraded , never had the wobble I always hear about

|

12/20/2019 10:44 PM

Yah ikr, they should sell them for like $10 lol.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

12/21/2019 2:28 AM

2 weeks ago I was looking at hub spares. I wanted fresh springs and pawls for my collection of cult match and primo mix hubs. These hubs are interesting as the driver design is the same as the profile mini.

Now get a load of the pricing to do one hub.

PRIMO
Bag containing 4 pawls and 4 springs $25.00
Total $25 AUD

Springs $8.50 EACH
Pawls $17.95 EACH
Total $104 AUD

That's a pretty substantial difference for racing pedigree. I do love how they have good selection of spare parts available. They are/amongst the best in the industry for parts availability imho. It's just frustrating how expensive they are.

I ride profile mini front hub and have had no problems in three years. It was the most expensive freestyle front hub in the shop, but I liked the machining. If I remember correctly it was 20-25% more expensive than the top Odyssey offering at the time.

|

12/26/2019 8:28 AM

Beamex wrote:

2 weeks ago I was looking at hub spares. I wanted fresh springs and pawls for my collection of cult match and primo mix hubs. These hubs are interesting as the driver design is the same as the profile mini.

Now get a load of the pricing to do one hub.

PRIMO
Bag containing 4 pawls and 4 springs $25.00
Total $25 AUD

Springs $8.50 EACH
Pawls $17.95 EACH
Total $104 AUD

That's a pretty substantial difference for racing pedigree. I do love how they have good selection of spare parts available. They are/amongst the best in the industry for parts availability imho. It's just frustrating how expensive they are.

I ride profile mini front hub and have had no problems in three years. It was the most expensive freestyle front hub in the shop, but I liked the machining. If I remember correctly it was 20-25% more expensive than the top Odyssey offering at the time.

I ran into that back in the day, and got the Primo set for like 12 bucks USD.

Worked perfectly.

But now I have a Demolition Rogue hub.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura