Profile Mini cassette hub

Related:
Create New Tag

12/8/2017 8:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2017 8:02 AM

Ok so I know this is a good hub... I'm looking to get a new back wheel to spoil myself for Christmas lol... but the one thing I'm wondering... do the Profile Minis have instant ingagement? I know the Elites have instant ingagement but I don't want a hub with instant ingagement becasue you have to have to start pedaling backwards before you start moving backwards, or it'll buck you off... so all I'm wondering is, do they have instant ingagement? That is only question I have, Thanks guys!smile

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

12/8/2017 8:33 AM

I rode a mini for years , never had an issue with fakies with them

|

12/8/2017 8:37 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I rode a mini for years , never had an issue with fakies with them

Ok cool... so then the ingagement is not instant then?

|

12/8/2017 8:39 AM

Nah, they've got perfect engagement imo. The instant engagement and horrible noise is what put me off elites. I've just got a totem rear hub. It looks like an elite but with mini internals (the amount of over machining with mini shells kind of bugs me). They're fairly awkward to get now, but I got mine direct from profile (and got a massive kick in the balls on import tax)

|

12/8/2017 8:44 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Nah, they've got perfect engagement imo. The instant engagement and horrible noise is what put me off elites. I've just got a totem rear hub. It looks like an elite but with mini internals (the amount of over machining with mini shells kind of bugs me). They're fairly awkward to get now, but I got mine direct from profile (and got a massive kick in the balls on import tax)

What exactly do you mean by "perfect ingagement"?

|

12/8/2017 8:50 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Not sure it would work but why didn't you just have someone else buy it & send it to you? I don't know if that would fix the issue but it seems plausible.

|

12/8/2017 8:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2017 8:53 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "perfect ingagement"?

I think he means the engagement is perfect as in it is very similar to, if not the same, as a regular cassette hub.

|

12/8/2017 9:50 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Not sure it would work but why didn't you just have someone else buy it & send it to you? I don't know if that would fix the issue but it seems plausible.

Nah, unless they lied about the cost, then if they go missing in the post I miss out sad

But yeah, there's a little bit of give with the engagement. If you use a 28t sprocket you'll struggle to spin out, but you still have time to land when you land fakie

|

12/8/2017 10:54 AM

4 pawl engagement, it engages quicker than a 3pawl hub but not instant like the Elites.

IMO, you can get a much better hub for way cheaper. Profiles are decent but you're really only paying for the name and the colorway. The Primo Mix and Cult Match hubs use the same driver and bearings as the Profile hubs, with similar axle choices, for half the price. The new Primo Remix v2 even has a 14mm female axle with the same 4pawl style driver, for cheaper than a Profile (and the matching N4FL front is better and cheaper than a mini front hub too.)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/8/2017 12:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/8/2017 12:08 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

4 pawl engagement, it engages quicker than a 3pawl hub but not instant like the Elites.

IMO, you can get a much better hub for way cheaper. Profiles are decent but you're really only paying for the name and the colorway. The Primo Mix and Cult Match hubs use the same driver and bearings as the Profile hubs, with similar axle choices, for half the price. The new Primo Remix v2 even has a 14mm female axle with the same 4pawl style driver, for cheaper than a Profile (and the matching N4FL front is better and cheaper than a mini front hub too.)

Yeah I know you can get good hubs for cheaper, I just really like Profile... and for the front hubs Im not getting a new front hub just a new back wheel probably....

|

12/8/2017 7:05 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The drivers aren't the same, similar style though, but the Profile uses 4 driver bearings & a shim in the middle. The Primo uses 2 bearings on the backside and a needle bearing, with a shim in between that and another one on the back side of the driver.

I do agree that he can get a better hub for the price though. Profile hubs for street really aren't all that special. If you still choose to go that route, just make sure you get a chromoly axle. I've seen enough snapped aluminum female axles

|

12/8/2017 8:07 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

The drivers aren't the same, similar style though, but the Profile uses 4 driver bearings & a shim in the middle. The Primo uses 2 bearings on the backside and a needle bearing, with a shim in between that and another one on the back side of the driver.

I do agree that he can get a better hub for the price though. Profile hubs for street really aren't all that special. If you still choose to go that route, just make sure you get a chromoly axle. I've seen enough snapped aluminum female axles

Yeah I definatly won't be getting the aluminium axle... if I do actually get it I will be getting the solid chromoly male axle...

|

12/9/2017 10:20 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

What hub would you recommend? Been riding coaster since forever but i'd like to get a cassette aswell.
I ride alot of street tho and even when im in a park i spend more time doing tech stuff on rails/curbs then going high on quarters.

|

12/9/2017 10:48 AM

Alright! I just bought a Profile Mini Black RHD to a black Gsport Ribcage! Super stoked! Now if anyone is interested I now have a LHD Shadow Raptor cassette (with a solid chromoly axle, I replaced the old hollow one becasue it sucked) laced to a black Gsport Bridcage... I'm looking for $110 + shipping... just if anyone is interested...

|

12/9/2017 5:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2017 6:31 PM

Also one more question.... I've seen in some old threads that the Mini develops a wobble to it... but the threads were from a long time ago (like 2010 or so) is this something that Profile has fixed with their hubs? Thanks!smile But I'm not to worried about this as I know they sell shims for like 5 bucks and they have a slightly larger bearing to put in the hub to stop the wobble which aren't too expensive either... but I'm just wondering if after all these years they've fixed it lol

|

12/10/2017 8:33 AM

It can still happen over time. But it takes years of landing sideways. You have to remember that these hubs first came out in the early/mid 00's and the one's that were flairing in those old threads were probably new when they first came out. Chances are they've changed the shape a little to help prevent it

|

12/10/2017 8:52 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Also one more question.... I've seen in some old threads that the Mini develops a wobble to it... but the threads were from a long time ago (like 2010 or so) is this something that Profile has fixed with their hubs? Thanks!smile But I'm not to worried about this as I know they sell shims for like 5 bucks and they have a slightly larger bearing to put in the hub to stop the wobble which aren't too expensive either... but I'm just wondering if after all these years they've fixed it lol

Seems to still be a problem even with newer hubs.

From my understanding, Profile doesn't do the best job of machining out their bearing seats. They are just a tiny bit larger than they technically should be, so installing the bearings isn't such a pain the ass for them. Because of this, over time, the bearing is gonna start to wiggle around in its seat and kinda "stretch" the hole out even more, then you have a wobble and need to "shim" your bearing back into place.

Sue me, but it seems to be pretty typical for American made parts to be made in a way that is in the manufacturer's best interest, and not the rider's. Not just with hubs either, I've seem some pretty ratty chromoly parts come from S&M and Profile. To the point where I could tell they were in a rush to finish the part and get it on the shelf.

Because of this, I try to only run Taiwanese made parts. Not only are they cheaper, but they are manufactured with quality-regulations, and are tested in house by irrelevant people who have nothing to prove. Parts have to meet the appropriate requirements to leave the factory, where in America, you can just throw some stuff together, call it a part, and send it out.

Just my 2 cents

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

12/11/2017 6:57 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Profile you pay for the quality of the hub. Each one is hand built. To the spec you want...yes call them don’t just go mail order. I had a set that I sold after 4yrs to try something new. Well the new hubs blew up in a year and the Profile hubs still work and they replaced the bearings, seal and driver at a lower cost

|

12/11/2017 11:22 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

Profile you pay for the quality of the hub. Each one is hand built. To the spec you want...yes call them don’t just go mail order. I had a set that I sold after 4yrs to try something new. Well the new hubs blew up in a year and the Profile hubs still work and they replaced the bearings, seal and driver at a lower cost

If the hub bearings blew in a year, they should have replaced them for free...imo. If they failed after like 3 years or something I could understand if they sold at a lower cost.

Odyssey would just send you whatever part you needed, no questions asked.

|

12/12/2017 5:01 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

If the hub bearings blew in a year, they should have replaced them for free...imo. If they failed after like 3 years or something I could understand if they sold at a lower cost.

Odyssey would just send you whatever part you needed, no questions asked.

You would think that. However, I don’t trust many companies anymore. I didn’t name the brand I tried because of that. Most hubs have a 9-12 month window on bearing life. After that, you are kinda either lucky or out of luck. Odyssey, GSport, Profile and a few other brands are all I trust. I might ride something else at times for some reason or another. But they worry me and I don’t ride as hard on them.

|

2/26/2018 3:55 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Sorry for the bump, but the grave is still relatively fresh smile. Found this thread through google. I'm very seriously considering buying a 10t profile driver for my primo mix hub.

Is the profile driver going to be an easy drop in replacement that fits perfectly? Or is it a bit of a "mostly works" hack job?

|

2/26/2018 7:11 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Beamex wrote:

Sorry for the bump, but the grave is still relatively fresh smile. Found this thread through google. I'm very seriously considering buying a 10t profile driver for my primo mix hub.

Is the profile driver going to be an easy drop in replacement that fits perfectly? Or is it a bit of a "mostly works" hack job?

Fits like a glove but the Primo driver will not fit in a Profile hub.

|