Profile Push + Ti Bolts

Related:
Create New Tag

1/12/2020 9:51 PM

Hey all,

I got a profile push with ti bolts and new bars. I had a push before in the past and these same Animal 4-Piece bars and they never slipped when I had regular chromo bolts on my last one. This one however slipped 3 times in 10 mins like a Walmart bike. I did the correct cross tightening and used Parktool Polylube....

I had a stem before though without paint, this one is painted. Tons of forums here said to sand the paint off and I did visibly see the stem’s paint on my bars. I did it, but sadly this didn’t fix it...

I maybe have 3-4 random random 1/4” profile chromo bolts around, but im just wondering if anymore knows what I’m doing wrong because I spent $ on these ti ones? Like I’m wondering if should have used Loctite and not Parktool Poly Lube? Should have I used a specific sand paper on the stem to get the paint off? Should I scratch grooves into the stem like some say on here? Should I scratch or sand the bar knurl area? Should I tighten harder? And/or something I’m not thinking of...? I know a lot of people use the ti bolts, id appreciate any of your advice!!!

Thanks!!!

|

1/12/2020 10:30 PM

Do not use loctite on ti bolts, they're already prone to galling and seizing up. Grease or poly lube on the bolts. Use steel wool to knock the paint off the bars and stem and then clean the mating areas with simple green.

|

1/13/2020 5:05 AM

Is the knurling worn down on your Animal bars?

|

1/13/2020 7:07 AM

When you sanded the stem down, did you smooth out the knurled area? If it’s smooth, that’s likely the problem.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

1/13/2020 7:21 AM

readybmxer wrote:

When you sanded the stem down, did you smooth out the knurled area? If it’s smooth, that’s likely the problem.

Don't most new stems have smooth clamping areas?

They tend to rely on the clamping force to 'print' the knurling on them.

|

Patient 0 of the Modelovirus

1/13/2020 7:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2020 7:47 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

The bars are almost like new/I didn’t sand them at all. I only sanded the stem with a not that coarse sandpaper block that I got from a hardware store. I only brushed away the paint (this took like 5 seconds), then stopped.

I’m gonna try steel wool though? And the simple green? And perhaps more Polylube.

|

1/13/2020 8:42 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Dad_Im_Pregnant wrote:

Oops, I meant bar, not stem. XD

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: Reyn Honbo - RH MEDIA

1/16/2020 8:39 PM

1. Don’t spray paint clamping areas
2. Don’t sand/file material out of clamping areas (use paint stripper to remove spray paint)
3. Wipe the surfaces clean of any metal shavings/debris from sanding and/or the bars slipping
4. Make sure you aren’t over-tightening the bolts to the point that it crushes the clamping area on the handlebars (not likely with Ti bolts, but still)

And last but not least, I have heard of this happening with Profile stems, where they simply will not grip a set of bars worth a damn. If bought brand new, I’m sure they will warranty it if this is the case. If they can tell that you sanded the clamping area though, maybe not.🙃

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx