Profile "Z-Coaster" Prototype

Related:
Create New Tag

9/10/2014 9:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2014 9:05 PM

The new profile "Z coaster", named after the z-shaped internals, switches from a freecoaster to a cassette with one spacer. Wonder how that works? Couldn't really find much on it except for FB, which wasn't really in-depth at all. And knowing Profile's pricing range, this would go for at least $300.

Photo

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/10/2014 9:08 PM

$300?

You're out of your mind. Knowing Profile, it'll probably be like $500 and be on every park rat's bike within 2 weeks of its release.

|

9/10/2014 9:13 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

$300?

You're out of your mind. Knowing Profile, it'll probably be like $500 and be on every park rat's bike within 2 weeks of ...more

I was going for maybe $400, but yeah.. Those trendy faggots..

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

9/10/2014 9:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2014 6:38 AM

First thing is that they use some sort of coating inside. That must mean the design created a lot of friction. And I'm guessing the "Z" is some sort of spring or the pawl. Possibly some sort of ratchet ring. But that big bearing around the driver HAS to be custom which surely drives the price higher. The profile way with the one spacer intrigues me almost as much as what that silver ring does in the clutch. It has to be added before the driver goes in, or at least that's what it would seem and the part that moves to make it an elite must be what shaped like a Z

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/10/2014 9:18 PM

I'd rather just get a Mini hub and a separate freecoaster wheel then switch them when I want.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/10/2014 9:25 PM

the price will be high, thats for sure. guy explaining the hub said if you switch from freecoaster mode to cassette mode, it basically becomes an elite hub.

i personally dont like the idea of being able to switch things around on hubs. granted, its probably convenient for people who need to always switch it up. to me, hubs should be as low-maintenance as possible. options are good, but a hub that stands up to abuse and stands the test of time with very little maintenance sounds better to me.

the thought of dropping $400+ (probably) on a freecoaster hub that will most likely be used with pegs by most, is absolutely absurd. id rather spend that much on a frame that i dont even need.

|

bikes destroy vlogs.

ref: slade_vincent, shutta, ecuadevil, theprophet, blackmammoth, sfb, element4all, bmx-junkie, kurtnut, nickg, jessebmx, dontDELETE, krbmx17, ninjacat, freddydapice, waanng, ivan, scramhype, motogrizz, tomdon, dream, hatebreeder, noendinsight666, asilva, wolfen, superstarDK, skubasteve, aebasher, many more.

9/10/2014 9:30 PM

fuck that noise
remember the tyler gilliard video of him testing it and he backpedaled? he said it was because the slack was the smallest he has ever seen

i dont want a coaster with the slack of a goddamn profile elite
plus imagine how big of a bag of shims this is going to come with laughing

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/11/2014 6:28 AM

i want it specifically because of the low slack. I want a free coaster that engages like a cassette.

|

9/11/2014 6:37 AM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

i want it specifically because of the low slack. I want a free coaster that engages like a cassette.

You have never ridden a coaster then... Slack is extremely necessary in the fakie. If your feet moved around and you mess up in the fakie, your butt is on the concrete from flipping back.

I am really not a fan of anything less than max slack. You really really need it. if you feel otherwise, you havent ridden a coaster with none. The only reason i could see using a coaster with only a little slack is to have a quiet hub and stuff.

Plus, less slack generally isnt good on KHE coaster due to the bearing.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/11/2014 6:38 AM

In the video he says it has either 60 90 or 120 degrees of slack
I think that is on the hub before the gear ratio which would make it 20 30 or 40, which would appeal more to their fan base
Personally I like slack way too much to get one

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/11/2014 7:56 AM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

MaximusBikes wrote:

You have never ridden a coaster then... Slack is extremely necessary in the fakie. If your feet moved around and you mess up ...more

Personally I always went with mid range slack, so it wasn't horrid to get used to, but it was enough for me.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/11/2014 7:56 AM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

Then ride a cassette. Freecoasters NEED slack, bottom line. If you want the engagement so you can pedal without worrying about the slack, just keep in mind that you'll end up back pedaling in fakies too

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

9/11/2014 9:02 AM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

bmxfromma wrote:

Then ride a cassette. Freecoasters NEED slack, bottom line. If you want the engagement so you can pedal without worrying about ...more

the reason why I would want this specific coaster is because of the slack. I WANT to pedal backwards but I would also like a little bit extra time to plan my fakie tricks out instead of hoping my feet are in the right position. Pedaling back is bad for khe coasters? Probably a good thing this isnt a khe coaster.

|

9/11/2014 10:29 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

$300?

You're out of your mind. Knowing Profile, it'll probably be like $500 and be on every park rat's bike within 2 weeks of ...more

this sounds most accurate lol

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

9/11/2014 10:44 AM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

bmxfromma wrote:

Then ride a cassette. Freecoasters NEED slack, bottom line. If you want the engagement so you can pedal without worrying about ...more

KrisnerBMX wrote:

the reason why I would want this specific coaster is because of the slack. I WANT to pedal backwards but I would also like a ...more

I have nothing else to say other than youre a retard. Just get a ratchet, you'll have plenty of time in fakies to get your feet right before it engages.... Lol... Bring the hate.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

9/11/2014 11:50 AM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

bmxfromma wrote:

KrisnerBMX wrote:

the reason why I would want this specific coaster is because of the slack. I WANT to pedal backwards but I would also like a ...more

Slack is what allows you that time before it engages. Without slack, you have it catch right away, FORCING you to backpedal (just like a cassette does). For a freecoaster, YOU WANT SLACK. Having none will make it act like a quiet cassette hub.

And you can backpedal on a KHE coaster just fine, they just have a bit more friction that a cassette, so it MIGHT feel stiffer than a smooth cassette.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/11/2014 1:11 PM

What happened to this being both a cassette and a coaster at once? From the sound of it, its either a cassette or a coaster now. Just an overly complicated ezra basically.

Though i guess this would work well for people who ride everything. Run a coaster for street and switch it to a high engagement cassette for trails/flowy park. Would go swell with some Shadow Captives and an adjustable seat clamp. Convertable bike?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/11/2014 2:29 PM

Primo Freemix still has my money !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/11/2014 3:52 PM

Ok maybe I am not exactly explaining it correctly. I want what the video that profile released had. I wanted to be able to decide when I want to coast and when I want to backpedal. Maybe slack is the wrong term.

|

9/12/2014 1:46 AM

Mark webbs videos put the idea in my head to want to try fakie frontflips on a quarter , was thinking elite hubs but if this is pretty much an elite hub I'll probably wait for this , winters about to begin and I have time to wait

|

9/12/2014 8:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/12/2014 8:16 AM

MaximusBikes wrote:

First thing is that they use some sort of coating inside. That must mean the design created a lot of friction. And I'm ...more

That coating could also be due to EVERY OTHER COASTER out there having more friction than your average cassette (and YES, I have owned a couple coasters, and ridden probably 5-10 DIFFERENT kinds), and them trying to smooth up their wheel, because it is a Profile, and they want stuff as dialed as they can.

Also there are literally THOUSANDS of bearing sizes and options. It very well might be a stock bearing for another application brought over to BMX.

6802 bearings are common in smaller engines and other rolling items, and they are the most common in BMX wheels.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/12/2014 1:51 PM

videos up on youtube now, looks very interesting indeed, the spacers take it from 60, 90, 120 degrees before engagement AT THE PEDAL but it appears if you backpedal past that point it will then turn into a regular cassette style. Would really like a look at the internals on that thing for sure

|

9/12/2014 2:09 PM

I don't like the sound of this.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

9/12/2014 2:50 PM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

Ok maybe I am not exactly explaining it correctly. I want what the video that profile released had. I wanted to be able to ...more

A freecoaster of any kind technically lets you decide this in the sense that if you have a coaster and go fakie, just pedal a touch FORWARD and it will catch, so you have to backpedal to either get back to coaster, or you can just backpedal like a cassette.

Honestly it sounds like you want a cassette that you can have be a freecoaster without changing anything externally or really internally (without removing it/opening it up), which without a possibly complicated mechanical setup, and might be a tad hard to do.

Like a cassette where if you backpedal quickly once or so, it disengages fully and coasts? To me that sounds like a clutch AND pawl system, where the clutch is used to drive pawls into position for cassette, but if you crank back correctly, it lowers them, allowing the hub to be a freecoaster, hard part is getting the mechanism to bring the pawls UP into place, and still be able to click downward when against the ratchet ring, and also to have it stay fully engaged UNLESS the rider backpedals. Hard part is it might require a full crank + forward to catch if done in this exact manner.

Honestly that is SUPER complicated in that way, just with the basic freecoaster and cassette parts I am familiar with.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/13/2014 9:39 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'd rather just get a Mini hub and a separate freecoaster wheel then switch them when I want.

This.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

2/22/2015 9:24 AM

I've read that it's suppose to retail for around $363 for the elite version and I think they are coming out with a mini version/mini hub shell version but they don't have a price on it yet but to me I want to try this out so bad because I feel like this is gonna revolutionize Bmx as we know it

|

2/22/2015 3:17 PM

free coasters are pretty gay

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

2/22/2015 4:39 PM

I might go with this , I might go with a primo coaster Hubset , right now my minds decided on an elite hubset, springs coming up soon, hopefully it's out before then

|

2/22/2015 4:49 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I might go with this , I might go with a primo coaster Hubset , right now my minds decided on an elite hubset, springs coming ...more

According to Chad Degroot on Instagram, it's scheduled to be released in just a few weeks.

|

2/22/2015 5:07 PM

This is gonna be weird.

From what I understand to disengage it you just crank it really hard back really fast and otherwise it's like a cassette and you can bitch crank all you want.

I think it'd be a lot of fun, worth the cash, who knows other than the people who have actually ridden it. If it is WORTH 363 dollars, plus whatever you get it laced to (which might as well just be a GSport Rollcage, because why not go all out when you're already dropping that much cash?) it better be the best part about coasters and the best part about cassettes. So no pedaling backwards really but you can still get some bitch cranks. It'd be like my dream because the thing i don't like about coasters is pedal pressure is terrible and if it allows pedal pressure in a positive way, i will be happy.

|