Profile Z-Coaster... anyone actually still using one?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/31/2017 8:25 AM

Late 2015/Early 2016 Seemed like everyone was trying them out or planning to buy one. I can't find anything from 2017 praising or Criticizing them other than how much one costs in what FC to buy threads. In 30 min of youtubing profile riders (especially the riders that helped launch it) i'm not convinced i saw any newer video with anyone using a coaster.

So, did anyone keep one long term? are they still awesome?

I have put about 10 hours in on a KHE based Coaster and enjoy it but realize how much i count on bitch cranking when just riding little spots with my kids and friends. Z-Coaster seems like the perfect choice but i'm wary of the investment if something so versatile, build by such a reputable company, isn't largely embraced.

|

8/31/2017 8:35 AM

Not that Ive done it, but best bet is probably searching the zcoaster hashtag on instagram. All google wants to do these days is sell me shit that i dont want or need.

|

8/31/2017 9:21 AM

thairishguy wrote:

Not that Ive done it, but best bet is probably searching the zcoaster hashtag on instagram. All google wants to do these days ...more

Good idea, thanks.

|

8/31/2017 11:33 AM

It's still a very solid hub, but I think the whole "best of both worlds" thinking has gone and people have sided with either cassettes or coasters.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/31/2017 11:54 AM

I tried out someone's bike with one, and while it felt weird, it was enjoyable to ride for a couple of minutes. I'd get one if I felt like dishing out the money for one

|

8/31/2017 12:17 PM

That was me talking about the price. 600$ for a hub in Canada . I got my Clutch V2 complete wheel for 450$ .

I know certain slopestyle riders like Brett Rheeder and Brandon Semenuk use them in their bikes for crankworx events .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/31/2017 2:13 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

That was me talking about the price. 600$ for a hub in Canada . I got my Clutch V2 complete wheel for 450$ .

I know certain ...more

Was it Semenuk who did the half-cab into the first set? I remember seeing that and I couldn't help but wonder what hub he was using.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/31/2017 10:30 PM

I've been using one for two years and riding pegs on both sides. I've had no problems except one of the seals in a bearing fell out.

|

8/31/2017 11:06 PM

I know certain ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Was it Semenuk who did the half-cab into the first set? I remember seeing that and I couldn't help but wonder what hub he was ...more

Yeaup , they use it because they still get instant pedal pressure in case they need more speed for those big ass jumps .. it'd be sick to see someone hop 180 before a jump then half cab a massive set haha

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/31/2017 11:20 PM

Where's that mod from Olympia with the gt stuff

|

9/1/2017 6:57 AM

So, the MTB guys are using it for Slopestyle, that sounds good. IG helped a little, i made have to take the plunge.

|

9/1/2017 7:07 AM

Yeaup , they use it because they still get instant pedal pressure in case they need more speed for those big ass jumps .. it'd ...more

Dugan 180d a double and halfcabbed the following one. I don't recall what video, but I think it was at a jam

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/1/2017 7:11 AM

I rode a z coaster and wasn't overly impressed. You still have slack between freecoaster mode and cassette mode, and you have to disengage it from cassette mode for it to work like a coaster. You'd have to get really technical with your slack adjustment and your foot work to try to "make the best of both worlds".

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

9/1/2017 11:00 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I rode a z coaster and wasn't overly impressed. You still have slack between freecoaster mode and cassette mode, and you have ...more

Thanks. I think i'm worried about weather or not it truly behaves like a Cassette before you give it a nice reverse crank. or will it run into problems where its engaging and disengaging with small foot/crank adjustments.

I watched everyone's favorite pro superstar LZ's review on it and he was saying he could hear it engaging and disengaging just pumping around a bowl.

I'm having a lot of fun riding the coaster around town but I have a little backyard setup with minimal run in and i can't ride the coaster on it for shit because bitch crank. That's a big catalyst for the consideration

|

9/1/2017 11:08 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I rode a z coaster and wasn't overly impressed. You still have slack between freecoaster mode and cassette mode, and you have ...more

jmz313 wrote:

Thanks. I think i'm worried about weather or not it truly behaves like a Cassette before you give it a nice reverse crank. or ...more

It really depends on how much slack you give it. When you're pumping around a bowl, your feet don't stay level the whole time, so if you don't have much slack it won't stay engaged. You could have it set up for 1/4th of a crank rotation and should be okay.

It basically works the same as every other coaster, except it's a cassette when it's engaged.

|

9/1/2017 3:01 PM

I know a handful of people on 'em. The guys that ride ZCoasters seem to swear by them.

|

9/2/2017 9:52 PM

I sank a lot of money into a full profile zcoaster/totem front and seriously hated my bike--it rolled so slow. I had to send the hubs back for a rebuild and promptly sold them for half of what I originally paid. Needless to say I was not impressed and am much happier on an odyssey antigram/merrit freecoaster

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider