Profile cassette problems.

Related:
Create New Tag

3/16/2016 8:48 PM

So I need advice. I have a profile mini cassette with the stupid 14mm male axle. And lately it's been annoying. Ghost pedaling, slipping in my drop outs constantly, not tightening properly and just looking ugly. I could probably tighten stuff up and fix it but I don't care to. Male axles suck haha.

So the question is if I switch it over to 3/8 female axle with the conversion kit will that fix the issues completely or will I still have problems? I don't know much about hubs since when my wheels get bad enough I just buy new ones. Also will the axle hold up to riding? I weigh like 158 lbs and ride pegless. Mostly just flat ground and banks no stairs or gaps. I tried to keep it as short as possible. Thanks.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/16/2016 11:29 PM

Fixing profile hubs is easy, spare parts aren't the cheapest, but you can get bearings fairly cheap (I bought a set, hub and drives bearings off ebay for £10. Only issue was the hub bearings were a tiny bit narrower, enough to make the hub wobble a touch. But one of the thin hub bearing spacers would have fixed it). And primo springs and pawls fit them and are quarter of the price. If you do it yourself, just make sure you put all the bearing spacers in the right place

But, yeah 3/8ths female axle will be fine for that kind of riding. I've got one and use tophat washers in 14mm dropouts. My wheel has slipped, but that's because I bought some button head bolts and I couldn't get enough torque in them. I use the 8mm Allen bolts with volcano washers, but I'd like some of the hex head 17mm with the 14mm shoulder so I can lose the tophat washers. They're like £15 for 2 bolts though so it can wait haha

|

3/17/2016 1:16 AM

Sounds like a clusterfuck , I hate that bullshit . Bugs the fuck out of me

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/17/2016 3:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2016 12:17 PM

If you ride pegs, get the steel female axle. Actually, just get the steel female axle.

Replace the driver shim too. That thing gets all bent up and causes issues.

A set of primo pawls and springs would also help.

|

3/17/2016 11:25 AM

Sounds like you need new pawls and springs pretty easy fix should be YouTube videos on it

|

3/17/2016 11:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2016 11:40 AM

If you are pegless you should be fine, you will need adapters for your frame.

As to the internals, I would replace the pawls and springs with the primo set for like 10 bucks instead of the profile set for 4.99 EACH.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura