"Profile wobble" or shot BB? Diagnose me, doc?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/4/2013 8:03 PM

Got profile GDHs and profile BB about a year ago. Today I noticed they seemed loose. Got home and tried to tighten via allen key, the bolt didn't budge. I took the bolts off and tightened it with the crank tool, tightened them down all the way, stomped on my wrench, everything. Put the bolts back on, tightened em all the way, and they're just as wobbly.

Its doesn't seem like splines, because I tried taking my crank arms off by hand and they wouldn't move.

It feels like the cranks are just loose, if I pull up or down, they feel sturdy. But if I pull them out, away from the frame, they feel loose. And if I squeeze my crank arm and my chainstay, they move closer together.

I've heard of "profile wobble" but idk what it looks like

Or do you think maybe my BB is fucked.
Just wanna get opinions before I go and take everything apart. Ill post a video tomorrow after noon of the wobbles.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/4/2013 8:06 PM

maybe the threads on the cranks are worn out? Idk

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

9/4/2013 8:08 PM

Could be you need more spacers. Make your cranks flat like this ______ & push down on your them by hand, like put your right hand on the right crank's pedal boss & left hand on the left pedal boss, and push push down equally on both with your hands, if you don't hear any noise or feel anything move, then flip your cranks half a spin & do the push thing again. If no noise/movement is happening, then it's likely you just need more spacers or your bearings are going bad

|

9/4/2013 8:13 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Could be you need more spacers. Make your cranks flat like this ______ & push down on your them by hand, like put your right hand on the right crank's pedal boss & left hand on the left pedal boss, and push push down equally on both with your hands, if you don't hear any noise or feel anything move, then flip your cranks half a spin & do the push thing again. If no noise/movement is happening, then it's likely you just need more spacers or your bearings are going bad

I've rode them for 1 year + with just the cones, no spacers. Never had them wobbly (I check a lot for some reason)

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

9/4/2013 8:15 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I've rode them for 1 year + with just the cones, no spacers. Never had them wobbly (I check a lot for some reason)

It might be developing the wobble then, do you use the internal spacer in your BB? If not, then that could also be the reason.

My Animal cranks are getting the wobble and sound like shit, it sucks haha

|

9/4/2013 8:25 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

It might be developing the wobble then, do you use the internal spacer in your BB? If not, then that could also be the reason.

The tube looking thingy imbetween the BB bearings? If so, yes I do. My BB was squeeking throughout the summer, I regreased it and it didn't change though everything looked fine, they spun fine and looked like new. It eventually went away. Think its related?

|

9/4/2013 8:59 PM

More spacers, BB spacer needed, clean and regrease BB and grease splines and threads on bolts and tighten them evenly.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/4/2013 9:04 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

More spacers, BB spacer needed, clean and regrease BB and grease splines and threads on bolts and tighten them evenly.

What grease would you recommend

|

9/4/2013 9:19 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

What grease would you recommend

Well i think a mixture of petroleum jelly and black grease is preferable for the bearings, just use petroleum jelly for the splines and threads. Add black grease if you arent one of those people who takes their bikes apart a lot, it is just messier is why i dont put it on splines because i take my bike apart often. They both do the same thing, but the mixture has worked best for me in the past, just take a plastic baggie, put like a spoonful of petroleum jelly in the bag toward one of the inside corners, and a quater spoonful of black grease and close the bag and mix it a bit with your fingers. Then take a toothpick and poke a hole in the corner, like one of those icing things and push all the grease you wanna use onto the surface of what you are greasing.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/4/2013 9:26 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The tube looking thingy imbetween the BB bearings? If so, yes I do. My BB was squeeking throughout the summer, I regreased it and it didn't change though everything looked fine, they spun fine and looked like new. It eventually went away. Think its related?

Yes that. Sometimes the internal spacer can get worn & deform on the ends, and end up needing filed slightly & another small spacer needs added to compensate for it. not sure if that would cause the wobbling though. check the spacing though, like how much spindle is in each crank arm, and make sure both arms are at least 2/3 of the way on the spindle & not bottoming out when the bolt's being tightened

|

9/5/2013 9:15 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Yes that. Sometimes the internal spacer can get worn & deform on the ends, and end up needing filed slightly & another small spacer needs added to compensate for it. not sure if that would cause the wobbling though. check the spacing though, like how much spindle is in each crank arm, and make sure both arms are at least 2/3 of the way on the spindle & not bottoming out when the bolt's being tightened

They're about half way on the spindle on each side with only the cone washers and no spacers.

|

9/5/2013 7:34 PM

Found the problemPhoto
When I knocked it out it came out in pieces. Just crumbled apart. But the ring that goes around the spindle was shredded up and ovalized, causing my wobbles. What BB should I get now? Another profile?

|