Profile's Matt Coplon Q&A

Related:
Create New Tag

6/18/2015 11:06 AM

Chad DeGroot wrote:

Why do people call you "RING" and is this some kind of cute pet name or some tough guy slang?

The name dates back to Central Skatepark, Mark Mulville and Jeff Harrington circa 01.'
That's as far as I can go with an appropriate explanation.
If you want the real reason, ask Mark: His phone number is 8-6-7-5-3-0-9.
But Jenny might answer.

|

6/18/2015 11:06 AM

Profile Racing wrote:

Awesome. Yea, I do! I was in a band called Reversal of Man and we got to play several shows with Orchid and Saetia in the late 90's. Good era of music. We were actually on the same label as orchid: Ebullition.

On the cranks, do you mean that once tightened, they will not get loose? If that's the case, I'm not sure? I use standard grease here in the shop. If anything, I ride so much that sometimes my pedals come loose. From personal experience, I just dab a little bit of lock tite on there and I'm good to go.

Hope that helps and thanks for the questions.

Haha no way that's sweet! I actually listen to Reversal of Man. I have This is Medicine, a few splits and the Self titled I think on a back up of mp3s somewhere. Come to think of it, did you do vocals? Ebullition had some awesome bands on there like Yage, you guys, still life, Orchid, admiral, Moss icon, Portraits of past, manrae, ampere and some others. Good stuff dude and props.

Yeah once I get em tightened they're stuck on there no matter how much I try. I could be doing something wrong, who knows. I just found that weird haha.

Thanks for your time man.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/18/2015 11:20 AM

KQP wrote:

Top 5 bands that come to mind first....and go!

Can you tell us a brief history on your involvement in music?

BMX has had its changes throughout all of it's years with different eras and such. You've been around to experience it all from the good to the bad. Is there anything currently in BMX you'd like to see happening differently? If so, how should it happen? Also, what are some things you're stoked on that is happening now?

This is will be a hard one... All time favorite Profile part?

Live:

1. Jawbox
2. Neurosis
3. In/Humanity
4. His Hero is Gone
5. Archers of Loaf

Recorded, right now:

1. Jawbox
2. Ceremony
3. Neurosis
4. The Smiths
5. Archers of Loaf

In about 1993 I got heavily involved in the Tampa Punk/SXE scene. Was going to shows like 2 or three times a week and buying records with saved lunch money. By 1995, I helped start a sxe band called reversal of man which started 5 years of consistent shows and touring. It was fun, but incredibly hard.
By 2000, we broke up, by 2003, I was in a new project called Light Yourself on Fire that lasted until 2010.
Do I miss those days? Absolutely. But nothing beats bmx. Thankful for that.

For change: There's never enough positivity. Even when we have it, we need more.
And if there is a need to voice criticism (It's innate in humans, I get it), the choice to make it constructive criticism.

Things that I'm stoked on? The same thing that I've always been stoked on: Watching my friends have a kick ass time riding bikes.
Their motivation is infectious, it in turn makes riding, and bmx in general, that much more kick ass.
It's the simple things I guess.

Favorite Profile Part: Hands down, the Mulville Push stem.

|

6/18/2015 11:35 AM

kylecarlson wrote:

Are you from Florida originally?

How did Terry Adams end up on Profile?

Any good alligator stories?

Born and raised my dude!

Plain and simple, he was interested in riding for us, was really into it, flew here, met with myself, Mulville, Jim (the owner) and Charlie (our promotions manager), and after the meeting we thought, "This dude rules, we need to hook him up."

I've got several bad gator stories. But I'll tell you a good one:
If you're ever driving the Tamiami Trail in South Florida, stop at the "Skunk Ape Research Center."
The owner has about 4 rescued 8 foot gators. If you ask, he demonstrate how to ride one like a horse.

|

6/18/2015 11:39 AM

Four wrote:

That's pretty rad. Straight edge represent. Portraits of Past is pretty awesome too, good album. Do you listen to a lot of other skramz stuff like Orchid, Saetia, Face for Radio and all that?

I won't bash profile but my crank arms and pedals do get seized a lot even on the cranks i had from 2006 and the ones from 2013. I used grease and everything never had problems with other cranks any words of advice on that?

Profile Racing wrote:

Awesome. Yea, I do! I was in a band called Reversal of Man and we got to play several shows with Orchid and Saetia in the late 90's. Good era of music. We were actually on the same label as orchid: Ebullition.

On the cranks, do you mean that once tightened, they will not get loose? If that's the case, I'm not sure? I use standard grease here in the shop. If anything, I ride so much that sometimes my pedals come loose. From personal experience, I just dab a little bit of lock tite on there and I'm good to go.

Hope that helps and thanks for the questions.

Four wrote:

Haha no way that's sweet! I actually listen to Reversal of Man. I have This is Medicine, a few splits and the Self titled I think on a back up of mp3s somewhere. Come to think of it, did you do vocals? Ebullition had some awesome bands on there like Yage, you guys, still life, Orchid, admiral, Moss icon, Portraits of past, manrae, ampere and some others. Good stuff dude and props.

Yeah once I get em tightened they're stuck on there no matter how much I try. I could be doing something wrong, who knows. I just found that weird haha.

That is awesome man. Small world. Yes, I did do vocals.
Was/am a fan of Still Life, Moss Icon, and Yage. We actually got to play with Yage in Germany.
My friend Meghan plays bass for Ampere. She's an old friend of mine and they're still kicking it.
I love talking about this stuff.

On the cranks, yea, that is really unusual. Keep me posted. If there is anything else I can help with, my email here is matt@profileracing.com
I'm always down to help.

Thanks man!

|

6/18/2015 11:49 AM

Profile Racing wrote:

Was/am a fan of Still Life, Moss Icon, and Yage. We actually got to play with Yage in Germany.
My friend Meghan plays bass for Ampere. She's an old friend of mine and they're still kicking it.

On the cranks, yea, that is really unusual. Keep me posted. If there is anything else I can help with, my email here is matt@profileracing.com
I'm always down to help.

Thanks man!

Yeah dude indeed it is. It seems BMX in the early 00s and late 90s was a lot more tied into emo and the offshoot genres. That's some awesome stuff and I didn't expect that haha. I too love to talk about it, it's such a small genre of music with a small number of fans. Pretty cool to talk to someone who was part of it in the 90s.

I sure will man, Thanks again!

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/18/2015 12:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2015 12:29 PM

What's up Matt!

How would you feel about an industry class at the FL BMX Series this year?

Also, any good kooky encounter stories from local events / trips? Everyone loves those.

Later Matt

|

6/18/2015 3:01 PM

Monica told me at gunpoint to ask you this,if you see a building completely engulfed on fire and you see Kanye West and the Kardashian chick he knocked up screaming for help and trying to get out,what would you make yourself a sandwich of?Veggies or turkey?Oh yeah,keep on kicking ass my man!

|

6/19/2015 11:13 AM

Four wrote:

Profile Racing wrote:

I'm always down to help.

Thanks man!

Four wrote:

Yeah dude indeed it is. It seems BMX in the early 00s and late 90s was a lot more tied into emo and the offshoot genres. That's some awesome stuff and I didn't expect that haha. I too love to talk about it, it's such a small genre of music with a small number of fans. Pretty cool to talk to someone who was part of it in the 90s.

I sure will man, Thanks again!

Agreed. So awesome man. Don't think that era of music could ever be re-done. Back when everyone wrote letters to each other via real mail, and set up tours by a rotary phone. Crazy.

Please do keep in touch and if you have any other questions, hit me up. It was a pleasure.

|

6/19/2015 11:20 AM

Cole_Delvecchio wrote:

What's up Matt!

How would you feel about an industry class at the FL BMX Series this year?

Also, any good kooky encounter stories from local events / trips? Everyone loves those.

Later Matt

I think that is a kick ass idea. Let's get Brumlow on that...I think it would get the kids real stoked.

We ran into Jason Levy in Gainesville back in 2009 (of gun toting/firing fame circa the Aspire Contest videos). He took us back to his apartment where he had a lathe in his living room and was making bike parts that were "top secret."
After giving us a history of how he pioneered the freeride scene in the early 90's, he got into explaining the sci-fi fiction novel that he's been writing for ten years.
Despite the rumors, Jason Levy is kind of a genius. ha! He just lives in a parallel universe.

See you dudes soon!

|

6/19/2015 11:30 AM

Papi Dan wrote:

Monica told me at gunpoint to ask you this,if you see a building completely engulfed on fire and you see Kanye West and the Kardashian chick he knocked up screaming for help and trying to get out,what would you make yourself a sandwich of?Veggies or turkey?Oh yeah,keep on kicking ass my man!

First off, I've had a crush on Monica for years. Don't tell her.

Secondly, regardless of the drama, I would have to save them. Couldn't let anyone get hurt....but then I would feed them some tofurky subs with vegenaise. From there, they would never go back to another sandwich combination.

Does my good deed gain traction with Monica?

See you in the streets my man!

|

6/19/2015 2:41 PM

When you do the Maiden America tour, does someone go from BMX Plus! go with you? Seeing as they had full coverage, and the centerfold was Zach Rogers doing a 60/40 in Pittsburgh, which was a really sweet photo.

Will we ever get Profile Metal Pedals again?

|

6/19/2015 2:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2015 2:53 PM

Papi Dan wrote:

Profile Racing wrote:

First off, I've had a crush on Monica for years. Don't tell her.

Secondly, regardless of the drama, I would have to save them. Couldn't let anyone get hurt....but then I would feed them some tofurky subs with vegenaise. From there, they would never go back to another sandwich combination.

Does my good deed gain traction with Monica?

See you in the streets my man!

She said that's sexy as hell and that she'd melt like warm butter if she saw you trying to save the Kardashian chick from a fire along with Kanye wearing a Super Matt costume but for some reason she said that Kanye would say that you should rescue Beyonce instead.Oh and she still doesn't know that you have a crush on her.Pray to God that she never does or she'll probably raid your house and kick Catwoman out

|

6/20/2015 4:51 PM

Enjoyed reading your interview here. Your book has interesting perspective...

What motivated you to write "Collapsing into the Whatever"?

|

6/23/2015 11:03 AM

If you could kill and eat any animal on earth what would you choose

|

6/23/2015 9:03 PM

how many prototypes have failed for profile?

|

ride bikes, have fun

STRAIGHT OUTTA STRAYA

6/30/2015 7:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/1/2015 7:12 PM

Matt,

I got to see you in action(photo mode) at Fowler Park in Cumming GA, Maiden America Tour,I was trying to get my shred on with the boys so we didn't get to talk much.(short "Hello, how are you) I just wanted you to know that your work is amazing on and off the bike and that was a great group of guys to ride with!! (Great photo of little Charlie by the way)
I have a set of Profiles that are approaching 17 years of age and they are starting to pop sometimes when I land a bit off axis and take a crank. do you think it may be time to replace?? I am running a Tree spline drive 4130 sprocket and wanted your recommendation on an upgrade for my oldies but goodies. maybe GHD-SD's??
Also I just got a Nikon D5100 and wanted to get a fisheye lens, any reccomendations??
thanks for being RAD!!

|

7/2/2015 11:33 AM

Why haven't you sponsored Seamus Mckeon? He is a fucking beast.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

7/14/2015 10:09 AM

I've always been a fan of the components, curious what made you guys kill the frame production?

Any thoughts on making bars or forks?

Is the Z-coaster setup/something similar going to find its way to the mini hubs (assuming there is space to make it happen)?

Thoughts about making rims too?

You guys have a killer warranty setup, I had a stem come with a super short bolt in it, which stripped out right away, and I sent it over and had a replacement in like a week (and the guy who came to Frostbike said if I had it with he would have just swapped it there for me). Keep up the killer work!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/14/2015 10:24 AM

Profile Racing wrote:

I think that is a kick ass idea. Let's get Brumlow on that...I think it would get the kids real stoked.

We ran into Jason Levy in Gainesville back in 2009 (of gun toting/firing fame circa the Aspire Contest videos). He took us back to his apartment where he had a lathe in his living room and was making bike parts that were "top secret."
After giving us a history of how he pioneered the freeride scene in the early 90's, he got into explaining the sci-fi fiction novel that he's been writing for ten years.
Despite the rumors, Jason Levy is kind of a genius. ha! He just lives in a parallel universe.

See you dudes soon!

He is definitely an interesting fella...I remember seeing those parts in Aspire (which should honestly be resurrected) and thinking he was doing his own thing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura