Progressing so slow..

Related:
Create New Tag

9/24/2017 8:37 AM

Is it normal to be such a piece of shit on a bike? I started riding again 2 months ago.. Can bunny hop on and off stuff no problem. Can ride fakie and 180 but every time I take a day off when I get back on the bike I can't do a thing. Like I've forgotten how to 180 and fakie...

I've been spending all my riding time just hopping gaps and ledges and working on 180 and rollout. I want to dial my 180 before moving on.

It's super frustrating to say the least, today I picked my bike up and whipped it at a wall as hard as I could. I don't want that kind of relationship with my bike. I want to have fun but sucking ass gets to be boring especially when you're trying your hardest.

|

9/24/2017 8:46 AM

Seems like you have the wrong mindset to ride. A lot of these younger kids nowadays watch all these videos online and think they can do all of it at a blink of an eye. Bmx takes a lot of patience and practice. If you're throwing your bike in anger then something is wrong. Have fun on the bike and don't worry about progressing. Everyone wants to be pro these days

|

9/24/2017 8:52 AM

I don't want to be a pro or even great. I just want to string a couple tricks together.

|

9/24/2017 10:02 AM

It's just confidence. You know you can do it, but you're obviously nervous and put yourself off from committing.

|

9/24/2017 10:57 AM

Ive been riding for 20 years and I still can't fakie...

|

9/24/2017 11:04 AM

Try steroids

|

9/24/2017 11:13 AM

If possible, find others to ride with. You get together & do what you can do. It's more fun & the address isn't there. Plus, it gives you someone who may be able to see if you are doing something wrong, etc...

|

9/24/2017 11:32 AM

All good points. I love riding I just wanted some tips on progressing and to know if it was normal to be learning very slowly.

No friends of mine ride.. Id go to the skate park and meet some people but around where I live a lot of the people that hangout there are teens or drug addicts. Not my style really...

|

9/24/2017 12:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2017 12:19 PM

I’m basically at the same point as you but I can hop pretty high for my riding time-like 2 ft, feeble, double peg, Smith, footjam, footjam whip, and some others but I can’t 180 or fakie for the life of me. I can only fakie like 15 ft, oh and I’ve been riding like 3-5 months

|

9/24/2017 3:39 PM

I'm genuinely curios if people who bought/made their bikes using their hard earned money still throw them around when they are frustrated

|

9/24/2017 3:51 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

I'm genuinely curios if people who bought/made their bikes using their hard earned money still throw them around when they are frustrated

Never

|

9/24/2017 3:51 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Only if I’m really mad not not super hard, kinda like a toss

|

9/24/2017 4:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2017 4:39 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Yes... I do? I paid for the thing.. I make enough to get new parts if they break.. Why not give it a huck when I'm pissed.

|

9/24/2017 6:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2017 6:17 PM

SA519 wrote:

Yes... I do? I paid for the thing.. I make enough to get new parts if they break.. Why not give it a huck when I'm pissed.

Parts should break from riding, not because you're having a tantrum....

As for your original question, apart from throwing your bike tongue, you're not a piece of shit. If anything, you're doing pretty well. I have known people who rode for 3 years without reaching the point you're at because they didn't have the motivation to learn tricks and were afraid of falling. Find some other people to ride with, it's great riding with people who are far better than you. From the first day I started riding, I was riding with people who were far better than me, playing games of BIKE, calling them out to do tricks and being called out, just having fun, and I progressed really fast because of it.

I'd suggest warming up and stretching, then taking it easy for say, the first half an hour. Pump around, do little mannys, nosebonks, whatever you're comfortable doing. After that, move on to the things you're trying to dial in. This will make it much easier to learn things. Don't forget, it's not a video game. You will have to put in a lot of work, you will fall occasionally and you will have off-days but that's all part of it. You don't have to be at your best all of the time, just enjoy yourself and do your best. If you're trying to learn something and it's not working, break it down into as many small steps as you can, figure out where it's going wrong and work on it.

Just remember the most important thing, it's supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong....

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/24/2017 6:22 PM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Ive been riding for 20 years and I still can't fakie...

same here...I can fakie, but I can't 180 yet, or hop higher than 1 foot right now. I can get air when I jump, but don't try anything yet while in the air. But I still love riding every time I go out. I am working on 180's - hell even a 90 would be good - and that is what keeps me coming out. Would als olike to redial my manuals, but I need a bike that fits me better, so that will be in the future

The key is - especially if you know you aren't going pro - is to not focus on tricks for the wrong reason. Ride on YOUR timeline, not everyone else's. I still can't 180, but I fakie further eveyday, and if I can add a few inches to my hops consistently then I am happy. The only time I get mad is when I hurt myself so bad that I have to stop riding.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence