Pros and cons of frames...

Related:
Create New Tag

7/27/2016 11:28 AM

I'm looking to get a new frame (21") I'm looking at the S&M BTM, FBM hard way, stranger ballast, and cult sos v2. I mainly ride street and some park. I've heard good things about the BTM. Anyone have any experience with any of the others?

|

7/27/2016 11:49 AM

I rode both the BTM and the Hardway. I switched back from my Hardway to the BTM because it was lighter. The Hardway did feel very solid though, so some may prefer it for that.

The other two frames are made in Taiwan, so they will be less expensive vs. the American made frames above. I know that Cult frames are a bit heavier as well, they tend to use thick tubing to resist dents and hold up quite well. Not much experience with the Stranger frame though.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

7/27/2016 12:06 PM

Cool thanks. Yeah Ive heard of quite a few people that like the BTM. I wanna hear from a few more people tho. I'm leaning towards it or the cult tho. I def won't be deciding based on Just the weight, it's def a plus tho.

|

7/27/2016 12:18 PM

I'd get the BTM based on my Bonesaw experience , and here's to the dumbass that said I talk shit about BTM frames on the other thread with no proof or validation lol

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/27/2016 12:27 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'd get the BTM based on my Bonesaw experience , and here's to the dumbass that said I talk shit about BTM frames on the other ...more

Haha, I'm still looking for the thread.

|

7/27/2016 12:55 PM

go MERICAN' FBM or BTM all the way.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

7/27/2016 12:58 PM

I have a btm in my garage that I bought new and rode for like a month lol. I didn't like it but I guess it's a solid frame. A lot of people like them.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

7/27/2016 1:46 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I'd get the BTM based on my Bonesaw experience , and here's to the dumbass that said I talk shit about BTM frames on the other ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Haha, I'm still looking for the thread.

LOL I'm giving you a hard time don't worry about it .

Back to the orginal thread , Stranger makes frames that have huge fucking dropouts which is awesome if you're into peg tricks , I've seen 7mm dropouts in person and they're insane haha , I imagine they'd be unbreakable. Consider that if you're into ledges and shit

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/27/2016 1:54 PM

Yeah I'm leaning pretty hard towards the BTM. No one here runs cult frames? They have alot of badass pros on their team....

|

7/27/2016 2:56 PM

I have a hardway, it's freakin awesome! Seriously, I love it and would never want a different frame.

|

7/27/2016 3:21 PM

Guess I can't go wrong with a BTM or a hardway. Lol thanks.

|

7/27/2016 3:22 PM

Is it me or are pretty much all "high end" frames these days about the same geometry for the most part and usually all made of full chromoly? Who says one company is better than the next? All the same materials.

|

7/27/2016 3:57 PM

J-West wrote:

Yeah I'm leaning pretty hard towards the BTM. No one here runs cult frames? They have alot of badass pros on their team....

My buddy runs an SOS and it's pretty dope , I just like S&M's details

|

My Cult 2 Short

7/27/2016 4:59 PM

Don't get started on the same materials subject haha.
I personally would rather my money go to fbm, because they're badass. They represent exactly what bmx is to me. I'd rather know my money is helping them stay afloat than go to a company that gets their parts manufactured on the other side of the world. It seems more personal, like they're literally more hands on with what they do. They could've gone the easy route years ago, but they stuck to their roots. Which I have an immense amount of respect for. Fbm also use possibly (or arguably) the best materials in the industry. They ride, so they know how to build frames from personal experience. To the guys in Taiwan, it's just a job.
I'm not going to say they are better quality, or will last longer, I just appreciate the amount of effort and love they put into everything they do.

|

7/27/2016 6:04 PM

Ok so I'll leave the same materials topic alone for a second and say if I were to buy another frame it would be a cult. Made in America, owned by Robbie morales, and Trey Jones rides for them, he's probably my favorite rider out there!

|

7/27/2016 6:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2016 6:14 PM

But again, I am a heavy diesel mechanic and also a metal fabricator. So with that being said, my cheaper premium frame is made from the same materials as the rest. 4130 chromoly is 4130 chromoly whether the frame is made in America or Taiwan or China or wherever else they are made. I've been riding bmx for over 20 years and am very heavy with my bike on a daily basis and I am also 6'2" and around 200lbs and my premium has been flawless

|

7/27/2016 7:42 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

But again, I am a heavy diesel mechanic and also a metal fabricator. So with that being said, my cheaper premium frame is made ...more

Even though it is listed as "4130 chromoly" that doesn't mean all tubing is the same, how the tubing is made-seamless vs not, varying temperatures, exact formulas etc all play a factor in the quality, just like mild steel. On top of that, the factory, air quality, gas quality, the welder can play a HUGE part, both the machine AND the guy running it. Plus if they use crappier filler rods, too much or too little heat, fill too much or not enough, that can cause a lot of issue. If the tubing is mitred well or there are large gaps to fill, that can cause weak spots as well.

As a metal fabricator you should be fully aware of this.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/28/2016 12:24 AM

4130 just means it has a certain amount of chromium and molybdenum in it. There could be all kinds of other impurities in a cheaper material.

But we should stop this here before it turns into another one of those threads.......

My fbm is awesome and I love it. It's heavier than my old s&m cam wood frame, but the geometry makes it more nimble, while the weight makes it feel solid and stable

|

7/28/2016 6:28 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

But again, I am a heavy diesel mechanic and also a metal fabricator. So with that being said, my cheaper premium frame is made ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Even though it is listed as "4130 chromoly" that doesn't mean all tubing is the same, how the tubing is made-seamless vs not, ...more

I am fully aware of that of course. But I'm a firm believer in the technology we have these days in the metal working process. I don't want to get into details because it's pointless at this point. Me personally, I would trust pretty much any chromoly frame that's out there. Any frame made from full chromoly will crack a weld and break if you land wrong, ditch the bike and let it fall 3 stories onto the ground, or crash into something solid. It all depends on the amount of abuse the rider is putting the frame through. I'm not trying to be an asshole and start a pain in the ass conversation but we all have our own beliefs in any aspect and I'm sharing mine that's all.

|

7/28/2016 7:50 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Even though it is listed as "4130 chromoly" that doesn't mean all tubing is the same, how the tubing is made-seamless vs not, ...more

seanthemechanic wrote:

I am fully aware of that of course. But I'm a firm believer in the technology we have these days in the metal working process. ...more

Dave said it perfectly in a different thread a little while ago. There's plenty of factors to take into consideration. But non of us know for certain exactly how good anything is, and we wouldn't notice the difference anyway.
I've never really broken a bike part from riding. Some people seem to wreck everything they have. So I agree it's largely down to how the rider treats what they have. Whether it's poor maintenance, or they ride a lot harder. You can't expect anything to last forever, or be able to put up with the abuse that can be thrown at it no matter how "good" it is

|

7/28/2016 11:11 AM

You also need to factor weather of where it is ridden and even where it was made. More moisture can mean more impurities or even corrosion INSIDE the tubing, which could make it fail.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/28/2016 12:12 PM

I agree with all of that completely

|

7/28/2016 12:14 PM

I live in south Florida and I ride around the beach a lot. But I usually thoroughly clean my bike after every ride. That's the maintainance factor that does play a big role in how long your bike will last

|