Pulled over on my street for not having reflectors.

Related:
Create New Tag

9/17/2013 12:14 AM

Hello,

Police pulled me over on my street, in Montréal, and told me that I needed pedal reflectors, one on the seat, and a specific color in the front and back wheel. They told me any offense in the future will result in a ticket, and I will also receive demerit points off my driver`s license.

They also filled me in on a few other rules, as supposedly I have to follow the exact same rules as cars, and can not ever cross a red light even if there is no traffic, or enter a street with any cars visible. On top of that you aren`t allowed riding on the sidewalk here so this just all sounds like a bad time considering this happened on my street and I will most likely see them again, esp. with a skatepark on my street (which I was riding back from)

My biggest concern is reflectors, I have rode BMX since I was 14 with no reflectors on pretty much every type of road imaginable, but I have a feeling I will see these guys again, and there is no way that I want reflectors, or that they would even stay on my bike, they would break off in a second.

Going to just keep riding, I always respect police and the law, but this is kinda bs, there`s no way you can`t see me on a Gold bike on a well lit street, and no way I can even ride with reflectors on in the first place.

Thoughts experiences?

CLIFFS:

Cops pulled me over on my street, told me I need reflectors all over my bike and also told me FYI that I should obey the exact same rules as cars on the road.
What do you think?

|

9/17/2013 12:48 AM

Wow, dont they have anything better to do in a city that size?

|

9/17/2013 2:07 AM

Lol I put reflectors in my wheels for jokes and it looks badass. Starting a new trend. Just do it.

|

Bikes. Cameras. Cars. Beer. NYx845

9/17/2013 2:31 AM

kinda like the uk this is the reflector law in the uk

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.

all over laws on push bikes in the uk can be found here
https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

i read it just now an i follow a grand total of none of the rules haha

|

9/17/2013 5:44 AM

People put tennis balls in their wheels, why not something to make them a bit more visible? Anyway I have a chrome frame and red anodized rims, my whole bike is a reflector haha

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

9/17/2013 5:51 AM

just dont ride at night... but there was somebody on here that did get the ticket and went in and told the judge what happened and the judge laughed and ripped it up. anybody wanna go dig it up? i dont think it was anybody that stayed just a passing soul a year maybe 2 ago?

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

9/17/2013 7:30 AM

Fuck the police. Just ride ya bike an when they turn up get into a bmx police chase, that's gotta be more fun than getting a ticket for not riding with reflectors.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/17/2013 7:50 AM

put one on you seat facing backwards and on your wheels.

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

9/17/2013 8:11 AM

Wear one of those reflective vests and a strobe light on top of your head

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

9/17/2013 8:33 AM

Glad I don't live in Quebec ...... Should have outran him ......back when cops tried to give me shit I'd just cruise the hell out of there......bikes can go where cop cars can't and cops can't run that fast

|

9/17/2013 9:30 AM

my bike is all polished and chrome basically. and i have faf nightvision tires. cops here are assholes. fuck the police. ride away.

|

Refs:
Bought from: Tito24, tinybikerider33 (x2), RideBikesYoo, hookjrclc, MrHavoc1988, ScramHype, BigOleMonster
Sold to: Jared42069 (x2), Sancheezz, blueep3piece, Marco_Gonzalez, Riverside Rider, HardBMX_Tim
Traded: tomdon
Hooked me up: zachhendrix, oscar7588

Personal Email: snmloverbmx@hotmail.com
n-dür product info/ order email: ndur_bmx@outlook.com
n-dür on facebook

9/17/2013 9:38 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Glad I don't live in Quebec ...... Should have outran him ......back when cops tried to give me shit I'd just cruise the hell out of there......bikes can go where cop cars can't and cops can't run that fast

Haha my first thought on the original post lastnight..... And you stopped for them!?
They may not run fast but have you ever been hit in the back of the head by a flying apple fritter?

|

9/17/2013 9:43 AM

Just get the new fit fafs with the reflective walls

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

9/17/2013 10:10 AM

you wouldn't run a red light in your car would you? same applied for a bike.

fuck you

|

fack off

9/17/2013 10:19 AM

Cops don't give a shit about bmxers/skaters here.

They never give us shit

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

9/17/2013 11:04 AM

It's the law. You gotta follow it. Fortunately that law isn't enforced here.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

9/17/2013 11:07 AM

future FBM wrote:

It's the law. You gotta follow it. Fortunately that law isn't enforced here.

i just tell them i dont live here, so i dont know the rules lol. i have an out of state license still so if they ask for ID, im off free

|

Refs:
Bought from: Tito24, tinybikerider33 (x2), RideBikesYoo, hookjrclc, MrHavoc1988, ScramHype, BigOleMonster
Sold to: Jared42069 (x2), Sancheezz, blueep3piece, Marco_Gonzalez, Riverside Rider, HardBMX_Tim

n-dür on facebook

9/17/2013 3:22 PM

eskimojay wrote:

lol the police in my city during the spring summer and maybe the fall have bike patrols me and my buddy tried to out bike them they were hopping curbs and everything persistent motherfuckers they are

|

Last words?
Just have fun on your bike.
- Jeremiah Smith

9/17/2013 3:44 PM

eskimojay wrote:

TheMotherShip wrote:

lol the police in my city during the spring summer and maybe the fall have bike patrols me and my buddy tried to out bike them they were hopping curbs and everything persistent motherfuckers they are

That sounds like it could be fun

|

9/17/2013 7:39 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Fuck the police. Just ride ya bike an when they turn up get into a bmx police chase, that's gotta be more fun than getting a ticket for not riding with reflectors.

Bahahaha yes, this.

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

9/17/2013 7:40 PM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

Wear one of those reflective vests and a strobe light on top of your head

YES! This, just go fucking overboard with it. Be a complete smart ass. This is totally what I would do! Ugh, I wish they told that to ME so I could go do this... lol.

Actually, you'd go ahead and do this, then never see them again. HAHAHA

|

I have 75 cool points and 5 awesome points

Buy/Sell Refs: Showtime402, fsearles, ticaleb, howlerfbm (x2), irideafly, the balt (x2), MrHavoc1988. dprc

9/17/2013 9:09 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

motogrizz wrote:

Bahahaha yes, this.

i have considered this... but the real bike cops (not university pd, i make them assholes chase me all the time...) here are trained to ride up stairs.... itd be sick to be rolling w/ a helmet mounted go pro and get in a chase and 3 some stairs with them chasing you... showboat while in hot pursuit lol

Segway cops are fun to fuck with too. oh, your segway can do 20mph? please try chasing me up and down stairs lol

|

Refs:

n-dür on facebook

9/18/2013 8:22 PM

lol in new jersey i got no reflectors on my bike ,no helmet, riding on the right lane going towards the cars and a cop drives past me and does nothing xD

|

9/19/2013 12:47 AM

I don't know if this would work but JC Perri in one of his edits had sunglasses as reflectors or something and they don't look so bad, so if you're not wanting reflectors try that.

|

bicycle more like bikecycle

9/19/2013 4:33 PM

Have some cheap clip on reflectors for when you are between the park and home and take them off at the park?

This way you satisfy the laws, AND still ride without them. And if the police try to say something when you are at a park, explain that WHEN the reflectors break, it will send shards of sharp plastic EVERYWHERE, popping tubes and poking out eyes and such.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/19/2013 4:37 PM

Get some lights so you can take them off without tools but then there a little more use-full when your riding and its pitch black. I got a sick light from Victoria when I was on vacation over the summer and it's usb charged and it was only like 10 bucks at this place called like mountain equipment co or somthing.

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/19/2013 4:38 PM

bmxfromma wrote:

People put tennis balls in their wheels, why not something to make them a bit more visible? Anyway I have a chrome frame and red anodized rims, my whole bike is a reflector haha

Samezies.

Chrome + Red Ano everything pretty much.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/19/2013 5:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2013 5:24 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Have some cheap clip on reflectors for when you are between the park and home and take them off at the park?

This way you satisfy the laws, AND still ride without them. And if the police try to say something when you are at a park, explain that WHEN the reflectors break, it will send shards of sharp plastic EVERYWHERE, popping tubes and poking out eyes and such.

Or bring one for your wheel, install it wrong and have it shatter everywhere and show them the dangerous shards that would potentially cause emergency services to be needed if someone fell on them (and face it, at a skatepark that is INCREDIBLY dangerous). BUT on the flip side, say you rocked reflectors, and one exploded and you fell and sliced yourself up needing medical attention, you could likely get that law adjusted in some ways.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura