Q's on building a small grind box

Related:
Create New Tag

1/13/2017 4:44 PM

So I've got a pile of lumber that's been sitting for a while, and I just came into another pile twice as large, I know I can build a sturdy box around 8' long, is that too short as to be a complete waste? I'm fine at going distance on feebles & double pegs, I'd just mess around using the box for learning new stuff, I feel like the ability to just coast off the edge instead of hopping-off may make learning some things easier.

From anyone who's built a box before, what were the absolute-stupid-lowest minimums for height and length you'd use? Am also interested in ideas for coping, I could just go to home depot and get an L-bend piece of steel if I've gotta but am hoping to find something more creative (read: cheaper, lol) At first I wasn't thinking of building sides on it, leaving it more like a table, but think I'll get better structural strength & rigidity by tying it all together with plywood sides, have even got wheels and handles on-hand so I can set it up where a single person can easily cart the thing from behind the house to the street out front smile

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!! I'd also appreciate links to reputable 'build guides', I mean I'm not concerned about building a box that's safe but I'm sure there's things specific to building a box that would be nice to learn before I do the project instead of after (maybe 'if', since if 10' is the don't-even-go-lower minimum then I may not be able to do it)

|

1/13/2017 4:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2017 4:57 PM

I built up a Grind box a couple months ago. Here is the basic outline I usedPhoto

Photo

I found a rail at my local preschool (a fence had been taken apart) so I just rode home with it. I drilled 2 holes in it, and then attached it with 2 screws and washers to an extra 2x4 that I put on one side of the Grind box.

Photo

|

1/13/2017 4:58 PM

Photo

|

1/13/2017 7:02 PM

Build a shadow coffin box for more variety

|

1/13/2017 7:43 PM

I've build a bunch over the years, if you do angle iron or a tube, get a flat piece of steel around 3-4 inches wide to go directly along the angle/pipe to act as a protector to the top sheet of ply AND help slide better. (or if you can find some decent flat stock plastic that works ok too-especially with plastic pegs)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/13/2017 11:04 PM

I'd say any lower than 18" isn't worth it. 8' will be long enough, but will be too short for combos.
Make sure the box structure is plenty strong enough so it doesn't collapse. And as Dave said, you'll want to cover the wood on top with something to help you slide (like a metal sheet). Even with wax or whatever your pegs/pedals will dig into the wood. That'll make you stick, and will tear up the wood

|