Quarter help

Related:
Create New Tag

7/6/2017 4:56 PM

Hey guys as you all know I am just starting I finally got comfortable going down the quarter pipe but I am still sketch bout going up I can carve near the top but if I go straight at it how do I make sure I end up on the deck

|

Ride till you die

7/6/2017 5:21 PM

Cam-bmx wrote:

Hey guys as you all know I am just starting I finally got comfortable going down the quarter pipe but I am still sketch bout going up I can carve near the top but if I go straight at it how do I make sure I end up on the deck

momentum will carry you that way unless its vertical, first try coming at a slight angle that way you can easily get a foot off the pedal and onto the deck, after that you'll then know what like that quarter is to air out of, hitting it straight on is going to be similar, just make sure you have enough speed otherwise you will case the back wheel and possibly need to bail off the bike and off the quarter.

|

7/6/2017 7:11 PM

That makes sense so if I go up at full speed I should just end up on the deck? If I crash I want to crash on the deck not down the quarter the only quarter in my town is a 14 ft and really steep so it sketches me out

|

Ride till you die

7/6/2017 8:42 PM

Cam-bmx wrote:

That makes sense so if I go up at full speed I should just end up on the deck? If I crash I want to crash on the deck not down the quarter the only quarter in my town is a 14 ft and really steep so it sketches me out

Not exactly.

If it has coping it will pop you up and you have to sorta push the bars forward. That should get you on the deck.

It's easier to learn by jumping off the side of the 1/4 if you can. If it's say a 5 ft 1/4 go up about 2 ft (right as it gets steep. And just jump off the side. You will feel odd because the front end is higher than the back. It's OK, just push the bars forward a bit and you will level out. Then just land like you always do. Do that 5-10 times and then copy it off the top of the ramp.

If you can't jump off the side, use the box jump (I'm assuming you are at a skate park). It will work the same way.

Just don't be scared and DO NOT get a death grip on your grips. That will cause you to "Dead Sailor" and leads to a greater risk of crashing. Try to stay relaxed.

Good luck

|

7/6/2017 10:45 PM

Thanks I will try tomorrow

|

Ride till you die

7/6/2017 11:22 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Not exactly.

If it has coping it will pop you up and you have to sorta push the bars forward. That should get you on the deck.

It's easier to learn by jumping off the side of the 1/4 if you can. If it's say a 5 ft 1/4 go up about 2 ft (right as it gets steep. And just jump off the side. You will feel odd because the front end is higher than the back. It's OK, just push the bars forward a bit and you will level out. Then just land like you always do. Do that 5-10 times and then copy it off the top of the ramp.

If you can't jump off the side, use the box jump (I'm assuming you are at a skate park). It will work the same way.

Just don't be scared and DO NOT get a death grip on your grips. That will cause you to "Dead Sailor" and leads to a greater risk of crashing. Try to stay relaxed.

Good luck

Well said here.

Just to add a bit from my learning experience (I know, not nearly 30 years of fruitful knowledge smile ), I learned to get up to decks by imagining a moto whip. You know how motocross riders can just cork out a whip so they're at 90 degrees or more while still moving forwards? Imagine you're doing that.

If you look at a video called Dig Deep - Kriss Kyle, there's a short intro clip of Kriss riding up to a deck on a quarter within the first minute or so of the video in this way. It's funny, it's just a small little filler clip, but that's exactly how I saw to do it, haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/6/2017 11:24 PM

Found it! Just go to 0:27 in the video, it's all there!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bzx6xTu5lvw

|

7/7/2017 12:30 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

Gack2000 wrote:

Not exactly.

Good luck

readybmxer wrote:

Well said here.

Just to add a bit from my learning experience (I know, not nearly 30 years of fruitful knowledge smile ), I learned to get up to decks by imagining a moto whip. You know how motocross riders can just cork out a whip so they're at 90 degrees or more while still moving forwards? Imagine you're doing that.

If you look at a video called Dig Deep - Kriss Kyle, there's a short intro clip of Kriss riding up to a deck on a quarter within the first minute or so of the video in this way. It's funny, it's just a small little filler clip, but that's exactly how I saw to do it, haha.

The park in the video is the one i ride at, Unit 23, and i don't really need to push bars forward when hitting the smaller quarters with coping, you only need to push forward to help land flat, but your actual momentum carries you forward onto the deck, unless its one of the big quarters, in saying that i was assuming that he was hitting something like 5-6 foot quarter, not a 14 footer like he listed in his 2nd post, so yeah, push forward lol

|

7/7/2017 2:52 AM

Yeah are park here is messed up

|

Ride till you die

7/7/2017 10:47 AM

Damn...14 footer? What is there to give you speed going into that? Is there a decline and some space to allow you to build momentum? I am happy in my recent ability to clear a 5 footer, and I am horrible at that right now. 1 out of 10 lands is clean...the rest are bails. But I am at least doing it. I am slowly getting over my fear of being oldtongue Wehave a 12 footer at the one park I ride and couldn't even imagine hitting that....yet

I think I do the "dead sailor" thing sometimes after reading this post...I will work on that next time I am out.

Keep goign though. Ride fast, be sure right before you launch. One other thing that helps me is that I visualize how I am going to land as I ride to the pipe...it calms me down. I got that from golfing....visualizing the shot. It sort of helps me to trust my speed and line.

ANd definitely wear a helmet!!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

7/7/2017 11:47 AM

I always wear a helmet your head is more important then looking "cool" and there's a pump and box before the quarter so you can get speed

|

Ride till you die

7/7/2017 1:14 PM

Ohhh, didn't read that carefully enough. FOURTEEN FEET?!

I wanna see it, that sounds mental! Could you maybe grab a few photos?

|

7/7/2017 2:06 PM

Yeah next time I go I will

|

Ride till you die

7/7/2017 2:41 PM

14' is very much a vert ramp (well basically). That's why I gave him the tip about jumping off the side to learn how to get on the deck.

That's also why I can understand some fear.

Old BMX rules 1 & 2.
1- If you know your not ready for something start smaller. That's how you don't get hurt too bad and end up unable to ride for awhile (depends on how bad you are hurt).

2- Don't fear things. Unless you don't follow rule 1. Relax, take a few deep breaths and stay relaxed. Focus on pulling it, NEVER think about falling! When you do, odds go up that you will fall and not relax. Death grip is the enemy and going stiff on the bike is a good way to fall...even if you make it. Remember that it's harder to steer or bail if your stiff.

Then now that the deep breathing focuses you...SEND IT! Give it 150%

Odds are you will pull it in the 1st 2-3 tries.

|

7/7/2017 3:38 PM

Thanks guys I'll send it today

|

Ride till you die