Question #4 When to true bmx rims

Related:
Create New Tag

6/23/2018 1:53 PM

Hi there....

#1 I didn't pay attention when I first started to ride my bike (stock mongoose doublewall rims) for any wobble.

#2 ate shit 6 days ago, noticed slight wobble. Took tire off (don't have a trueing stand) maybe wobbles 1/8 at most.

#3 I don't true my mtn bike wheels and they move a ton more than that, and are worth about 10x as much...

#4 Been riding on stock new wheels for about a month now.. how often, how much wobble before I really need to attempt to true them?

Thanks in advance

|

6/23/2018 2:17 PM

I can say right now with stock rims you need to true them more often. Plus, being I would assume a new bike, you always want to tension the spokes after a few rides. From the factory the rims are not normally seated right. I have mountain bikes too and yes you can get by with not doing anything to them for awhile (not that I suggest it). Due to the disc brakes you have more ability to let them go for awhile.

Back to BMX, totally different. A straight and properly tensioned wheel will last you 50% or more longer. You don’t need a trueing stand, just 2 zip ties and a little tape. Put the zip ties on your forks for the front wheel and the chain stays for the rear. Find a spot that is pretty straight still and cut the zip ties to sit about 3mm away from the rim. Spin it slowly and as soon as the rim touches the zip tie on either side, put a piece of tape on the first spoke where it touches on the OPPOSITE side spokes. Do this all the way around the wheel. Once you have that done, all you have to do is tighten each spoke on the opposite side of the bend/hop 1/4th turn at a time till the bend is gone. Keep doing it till no part of the rim touches the zip ties. Then, go back and give each spoke 1/4th turn all 36. So, you might have to turn the spokes a full turn (1/4th turn at a time) to get the bend out. But, going back and giving every spoke 1/4th turn will tension the rim. After everything looks good grab 2-4 spokes with your hand and squeeze them. They should move a bit however if they are right not much and you can tell trust me. If they move alot, go give them all another 1/4th turn. Repeat this till the spokes feel tight with only a little movement when you lightly squeeze them.

Your bike will feel better and you will have a stronger rim all by taking 1hr to dial everything in. And if it was me, I would true the mountain bike wheels too. I do mine every week if I ride more than 30miles and they are always perfect and going on 3yrs old

|

6/23/2018 3:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2018 3:07 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

I can say right now with stock rims you need to true them more often. Plus, being I would assume a new bike, you always want ...more

"Due to the disc brakes you have more ability to let them go for awhile."

That's a common misunderstanding; rim brakes are actually a lot easier on wheels because they stop the part carrying most of the wheel's momentum. With disc brakes, the rim tries to keep spinning, twisting the wheel and allowing half of the spokes to loosen a little every time you hit the brake. That's why proper spoke tension is so important with disc wheels.

Edit: just read it again. Do you mean that straight wheels aren't as critical because they don't have to clear brake pads?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/23/2018 5:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/23/2018 5:56 PM

I true my wheels any time they are noticeably not straight. Which is about every 5-7 serious rides for me. More often if I am doing a lot of 180 tricks or grinds sometimes too.

Id say keeping your spokes/nipples tight is more important than anything else when it comes to maintaining them. As equally tight as possible, of course.

|

6/23/2018 7:48 PM

If my rim gets even SLIGHTLY bent, out comes the spoke wrench. Like for real, I'm super anal about my shit lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/23/2018 9:52 PM

I have to keep my wheel straight or else I feel it messes with my fakies, bugs like hell.

|

6/23/2018 9:57 PM

I build mine then true them after the first third and 10th ride roughly then maybe once a year after that. If the rim lasts that long . I got a defective tire in the front so my wheel always looks out of tru....if you build a wheel right and are patient then there is no reason it should ever get too bad unless its fucked completely imo

|

6/23/2018 11:05 PM

Haven’t trued them since I got them like a year ago .. if it isnt a horrible wobble , don’t worry about it , no point getting them trued every other week because you do a couple 180s and 360s and they’re wobbly again

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/23/2018 11:31 PM

TLDR, sorry.

But I think a solid rule is: True the wheel when the wheel becomes not true. That's how I see it, haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

6/24/2018 12:45 AM

I build my own wheels, and don't have to re tension the spokes for a long time. I've had my current wheels about 6 months and haven't needed to get my spoke key out.

Bmxers have a bad habit of massively over tightening their spokes. Which puts too much stress on all of the components resulting in a weaker wheel.

|

6/24/2018 5:46 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I build my own wheels, and don't have to re tension the spokes for a long time. I've had my current wheels about 6 months and ...more

Wheel builders unite! I never have to retrue the ones I lace. And I ride like a dumbass

|

6/24/2018 8:14 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I build my own wheels, and don't have to re tension the spokes for a long time. I've had my current wheels about 6 months and ...more

Super-Pawl wrote:

Wheel builders unite! I never have to retrue the ones I lace. And I ride like a dumbass

I too ride like a dumbass haha if a wheel is built right then it shouldn't need tension that often unless you have uneven tension and the tighter spokes knocked it out of true . Seems like some people need more practice haha

|

6/24/2018 8:20 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yep. My real wheel is build by Empire. Never had to true it, and I built my front wheel, and haven't had to true it either. The quality of the wheel build is definatly VERY important to the overall strength of the rim for sure... and yeah, don't over tighten spokes either lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/24/2018 2:34 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

I have been building my own since...damn I don’t even remember. I remember it was a TNT hub to an Araya Super 7x lol around 98-ish

|

6/24/2018 8:09 PM

I barely ever true my shit lol. only if it's rubbing on my brakes.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

6/27/2018 7:36 AM

I tighten mine/true them when they are noticeably loose, but mine are hand built wheels that I laced up, and have been tensioned well.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura