Question about 180's/360's

Related:
Create New Tag

3/30/2017 8:18 PM

Ok, so when you guys learned these (those who did) was it easier to learn them out of a straight up bunnyhop, or off of a jump? (Like a quarter or half pipe) I feel like my jumping skills are starting to get solid out of pipes. I have been trying to start them out of bunny hops on flatland, but that seems pretty hard. Sort of just seeing what your experiences are...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

3/30/2017 8:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2017 8:38 PM

180s are easiest to learn on a quarter or bank because that way you get to dial them in without having to worry about the fakie

360s, flyouts are much easier. I landed my first 360 out of a flyout and learned them the other way as well on the same day. Just hauled ass at a taco quarter with a grass-bank lander until I landed them. I then took like a year, maybe a year and a half to land my first hop one after which I immediately did it the other way out of excitement. I'm fuck-footed though, I'd imagine it'd be easier to learn them one way if I wasn't.

If you have a flyout near you, use it. It's the easiest place to learn most things.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/30/2017 8:38 PM

did them flat first. I learn everything flat then take them to the quart seems easier for me

|

3/30/2017 8:46 PM

I tried them both flat first, for some reason I thought doing them out of banks or off stuff was harder so I never tried. I landed flat 180s first, then off curbs, ledges, and small stairs. 360s I tried forever on flat and off of small ledges and even down a 3 stair once but only got a 360 tire tap and one time a SUPER ugly flat 3... Never made any progress until I started trying them out of banks and once I figured them out, took them back to flat and eventually got them

so yeah, definitely try them out of bank and see how that works for you. It could help you figure out what you're doing wrong then you can take it to flat

|

3/31/2017 10:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/31/2017 10:19 AM

For me, off banks and quarters were easier, but I don't think it's the best way to learn them.

Somewhat like Coopers, I stuck to flat ground first. IMO, when learning spin tricks out of banks or other inclines, you don't get the whole feel and learn of the trick. Sure, it'll get you closer to the trick, but since the ramp is doing most of the work for you, you don't have to learn to spin as much, making it harder (for me, at least) to learn on ramps first, then go back to flat.

I think I'll go back to banks and stuff to learn air control better now that I can 180 easily and somewhat 360 on an occasional basis.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

3/31/2017 11:15 AM

readybmxer wrote:

For me, off banks and quarters were easier, but I don't think it's the best way to learn them.

Somewhat like Coopers, I stuck to flat ground first. IMO, when learning spin tricks out of banks or other inclines, you don't get the whole feel and learn of the trick. Sure, it'll get you closer to the trick, but since the ramp is doing most of the work for you, you don't have to learn to spin as much, making it harder (for me, at least) to learn on ramps first, then go back to flat.

I think I'll go back to banks and stuff to learn air control better now that I can 180 easily and somewhat 360 on an occasional basis.

It's far easier out of a ramp and you'll get them flat quicker once you have the feeling for them. Learn them flyout, clean them up on flat, develop a style and confidence for them on dirt and send them on street.

Telling people to learn flat if they have a better, quicker way to learn it is stupid IMO. I learned whips, 180-whips and 5s on flat and while I have the patience and determination for it, nobody else I've ever known would. Sure, none of those are as simple as a 3 or 180 but when you're learning 3s or 180s, they're anything but simple...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/31/2017 12:17 PM

I started with flat 180s and got them quite dialed but every session destroyed my shoulders, I remember most of the times doing heavy landings. So I stopped doing them and I focused only in park, which is what I like. Now I can do fly outs 180s, some smooth and are never painful. I don't think are easier than flat 180s, because it is kinda tricky taking off the quarter pipe. The thing is that every now and then I try flat 180s and seem so much easier, even got more than 180 degrees (still hurt my shoulders). So in the end is about getting used to rotate and of course coordinate the bunny hop. Anyway, for me more fun and less painful learning them in the quarter pipe.

|

3/31/2017 12:37 PM

I learnt both on flat. I find 3's out of things easier now, but when I learnt them the speed and height scared me so I couldn't commit

|

3/31/2017 9:25 PM

cool guys! I was asking cause I have been trying them on flat ground, but can get little lift or spin. the other day at the park I accidentally did a 90 out of a bank and thought" hey, that was easier than on flat...maybe I am starting wrong" Glad to see that it has been a good mix of both. Been practicing fakies as well, and can get going backwards with about 3 cranks before I lose my balance. It is getting better every time I get out though. It is just finding the timing of the back pedaling that I have to get better at.

Will keep trying all ways though, becasue the fun is in riding, and seeing little advances every time I go out.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

3/31/2017 11:50 PM

i tried them a lot on flat because i didn't really have any good kickers or jumps near me. i finally learned them out of a wedge onto the top of a box, so it was that familiar motion of a hop 3 but it was easier to pop. curved transitions are weird for me, i fucking suck at them so i don't have much advice for trying them out of quarters lol

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

4/1/2017 8:05 AM

Learned them on flat 'cause that's all there was at the time. I did ok.

|