Question about cinema 777 rims

Related:
Create New Tag

11/9/2017 10:59 PM

First off do these rims make a good back and front wheel? Also, do the spokes need to be cross laced? I don't need new rims at the moment but I saw some of these for 20 a piece and wanted to know a little more before I bought them.

|

11/9/2017 11:09 PM

Can't go wrong at that price. I think they might be cross laced. Not sure though. I'm sure google could tell you. I don't feel like doing the work for you, maybe someone else will use their search bar.

|

11/10/2017 12:20 AM

They're laced regularly from factory but that leaves the nipples at weird angles. Cross laced, everything seems to line up properly.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/10/2017 4:48 AM

damn...jump on that..or point me in that direction

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/10/2017 6:56 AM

I use a kink Orion and it's crossed but which way would keep the rim more stiff? I just don't wanna mess them up if I buy them.

|

11/10/2017 6:56 AM

I'll let you know where to get after I buy them haha

|

11/10/2017 8:15 AM

natebz420 wrote:

I use a kink Orion and it's crossed but which way would keep the rim more stiff? I just don't wanna mess them up if I buy them.

Why would you switch from the Orions? They're some damn nice rims, lighter and probably stronger than the Cinemas.

Cross lacing is a hell of a lot stronger side to side and a little stronger up and down. It's like on 3 piece cranks where the crank bolts are pulling against each other, each side prevents the other from moving. If the bolts aren't pulling against each other enough, they'll loosen off easier. This is why rims that are laced regularly that have the spoke holes very close to the edges come out of true and lose their tension so much easier; the spokes are almost purely pulling the rim towards the hub with very little pull from one side to the other.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/10/2017 10:03 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Why would you switch from the Orions? They're some damn nice rims, lighter and probably stronger than the Cinemas.

Cross lacing is a hell of a lot stronger side to side and a little stronger up and down. It's like on 3 piece cranks where the crank bolts are pulling against each other, each side prevents the other from moving. If the bolts aren't pulling against each other enough, they'll loosen off easier. This is why rims that are laced regularly that have the spoke holes very close to the edges come out of true and lose their tension so much easier; the spokes are almost purely pulling the rim towards the hub with very little pull from one side to the other.

Well the Orion was the third rim I cross laced. The other two were alienation 440s. I put a decent hop in it that I haven't been able to get out. I even took it to the lbs and they could get it perfect either...what makes the Orion better in you opinion.

|

11/10/2017 10:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2017 10:37 AM

natebz420 wrote:

Well the Orion was the third rim I cross laced. The other two were alienation 440s. I put a decent hop in it that I haven't been able to get out. I even took it to the lbs and they could get it perfect either...what makes the Orion better in you opinion.

I'd say go to another bike shop for a second opinion. I've yet to find a hop I couldn't remove at least 90% of by thinking it through.

I'd say the Orion's stronger because it's 5mm wider, meaning it's stiffer and it's going to take a much larger hit to knock it out of true because of it. The nipple angles on a 777 are horrible meaning you're much more likely to snap nipples if you don't cross lace it(which isn't how Cinema do it themselves) whereas on the Orion, they line up perfectly. The Orion is designed to be cross-laced, the Cinema doesn't appear to be but it just happens to work best that way.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/10/2017 1:36 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

I'd say go to another bike shop for a second opinion. I've yet to find a hop I couldn't remove at least 90% of by thinking it through.

I'd say the Orion's stronger because it's 5mm wider, meaning it's stiffer and it's going to take a much larger hit to knock it out of true because of it. The nipple angles on a 777 are horrible meaning you're much more likely to snap nipples if you don't cross lace it(which isn't how Cinema do it themselves) whereas on the Orion, they line up perfectly. The Orion is designed to be cross-laced, the Cinema doesn't appear to be but it just happens to work best that way.

Thanks man I'll give it a shot..cros lacing just confuses me..im to use to lacing it straight and everyone I try I end up have some spokes insanely tighter than others..ill still buy a 777 for the front to replace my quadrant rim

|