Question about sprocket size

Related:
Create New Tag

6/2/2012 1:55 PM

I have a really old crankset and I'm looking to buy a new one. I have cranks, bottom bracket, and a front sprocket. But my old front sprocket was very large and my rear sprocket has 18 teeth. The new front sprocket I'm looking at is only 28 teeth. Would I be able to run a 28/18 set up for a little bit until I get a new wheelset? I can't afford new cranks, front sprocket, bottom bracket, and and entire new wheelset all right now.

|

6/2/2012 1:58 PM

Well the "rear sprocket" is actually called your driver. And iv never seen a bmxer running a 28/18 before so im not sure.

|

Startin a new team of BMX lesbians called Bikes N Dykes

6/2/2012 1:58 PM

You could, bu itll feel weird. I'd say wait until you have a smaller rear cog

|

6/2/2012 1:59 PM

Ahh thanks. I'm new to riding so I don't know all the terms yet. I know no one really rides it. I just wanna know if it will work until I can scavenge up enough money for a new rear hub/driver

|

6/2/2012 3:43 PM

i have seen some one rideing 25/16 and he was peddleing like mad just get new hubs or something

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

6/2/2012 3:52 PM

yeah a friend of mine ran like 25-14 for a while until he could get a new back wheel, it will be a lot of work to get a good speed, but it'll work

|

I don't support slut shaming, but I do support snake shaming you snaky bastard

6/2/2012 3:57 PM

hmuifulikefriedchicken wrote:

yeah a friend of mine ran like 25-14 for a while until he could get a new back wheel, it will be a lot of work to get a good speed, but it'll work

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I can't go spending $350 all at once right now so I just want to make sure it will work. I'm okay with a little struggle.

|

6/2/2012 4:04 PM

Mr.Buck Nasty wrote:

Well the "rear sprocket" is actually called your driver. And iv never seen a bmxer running a 28/18 before so im not sure.

You sir are incorrect, if its an 18t it is a freewheel. Same concept, different design.

|

Refs: Wade. Beastassdick. ScramHype Lee_Rager(x7) Spikez5 TCBmx Dolphin
With seller feedback and ref on Bmx-forum.com and PBNation.com. WhiteKinght

6/3/2012 1:37 AM

Mr.Buck Nasty wrote:

he has a freewheel not a driver

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/3/2012 1:58 AM

Why not just ride 52 18 till you get the wheels then...

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

6/3/2012 2:20 AM

|

6/3/2012 4:39 AM

I have the sprocket and it's really good and my friend has that wheel set.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

6/3/2012 11:10 AM

You could buy a smaller freewheel. 13t is the smallest you can buy if you have a flip-flop hub and 14t if it isn't a flip-flop.
They cost about 20 bucks. It still wouldn't be the ideal ratio, but it will be waaaaaaaay better than what you plan on running.

|