Question about the almighty color spectrum!

Related:
Create New Tag

3/2/2014 2:13 AM

I was having a quick thought about some colorways that might look good, like the trans teal Haro Lineage Frame, or the trans teal Fit Mac Frame, BUT in a slightly brighter tone such as this custom Standard 125R
Photo

Also I think this MIGHT have been done before, but a trans color such as the one on the Standard but over raw aluminum. For example. This Merrit Mighty Sprocket, but instead of the whole sprocket leave the Merrit Logo the way it is and everything else a trans teal over the aluminum.
Photo

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

3/2/2014 5:45 AM

That will look awesome. The thing to remember is that the 125R is powder over chrome. Over bare metal it would be slightly darker. I think you understand that. My suggestion would be to contact Standard and ask which one they used. You might even just tell them your plans and ask them what they think would work.

Or, contact the people you plan on using and show them that picture to get their recommendation.

Personally, I think this Candy Aqua from All Powder Paints would do it. But you do what you think is best.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

3/2/2014 5:54 AM

Fondue wrote:

That will look awesome. The thing to remember is that the 125R is powder over chrome. Over bare metal it would be slightly ...more

Yes I do understand, because light reflects off of chrome much better than paint over bare metal, and I was just wondering what people would think of this colorway, and that Candy Aqua looks awesome.

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

3/2/2014 6:06 AM

The Merritt logo is actually a piece of frosted plastic placed in a cutout on the sprocket. You can see it better here. [LINK TO IMAGE]
But I completely agree that the looks of the tinted clear over chrome looks awesome! When the trans red on my ATF starts looking like crap, I may experiment a bit.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

3/2/2014 7:22 AM

Trans over aluminum just looks like anodize. Get a Profile Spline Drive in aqua if you want that look.

As for the frame color, as said above, the Standard is over chrome. Light reflects off of the chrome and brightens up the trans paint quite abit. If you want to do your frame that color, look into polishing it before you get it powdercoated.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/2/2014 8:08 AM

Well, he could polish the Merritt sprocket and then anodize.

|

3/2/2014 10:31 PM

Actually, when the surface of the bare aluminum is marbled like that, it has been anodized, just not using a color. It seals the bare metal to prevent corrosion.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.