Question about wood

Related:
Create New Tag

4/15/2018 2:20 PM

Does anyone have an estimate on how long pressure treated ply wood last if stored outside

|

4/15/2018 6:42 PM

Streetornah77 wrote:

Does anyone have an estimate on how long pressure treated ply wood last if stored outside

Define stored outside. Do you mean as something that is built or just lumber stored out in your yard, like a lumber yard would have it?

|

4/15/2018 6:53 PM

Depends on the weather mainly. Where do you live? Where is it being used?

|

@coupd_tat

4/15/2018 7:46 PM

Streetornah77 wrote:

Wayne S wrote:

Define stored outside. Do you mean as something that is built or just lumber stored out in your yard, like a lumber yard would ...more

Something built as in a ledge

|

4/15/2018 7:47 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

Ohio being used on a flat driveway

|

4/15/2018 7:58 PM

It's a natural thing to have wood in the mornong when you wake up, it happens to all of us, jit's don't think about it and it'll go away...

Oh wait, you're taliking about wood wood, no the other wood.... then yeah, I think youd be alright with treated wood, I mean I have a grind box made out of treated wood, and its been out side it's whole life here in Texas with all the humidity and rain, and its holding up pretty well, a little surface rust on the steel angle iron, but that's about it...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/15/2018 8:03 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

Streetornah77 wrote:

Ohio being used on a flat driveway

Do not let it get to wet or let it dry out baking in the sun and it should be fine.

I would keep a few blocks of something like 2x4s to keep it off the ground and a tarp over it when not in use.

|

4/15/2018 8:40 PM

Wayne S wrote:

Do not let it get to wet or let it dry out baking in the sun and it should be fine.

I would keep a few blocks of something ...more

Yah this is pretty much all that's worth doing for a grindbox that's gonna get fucked up either way. Treated wood is better than un but it's not impervious to outdoor conditions, it'll get warped, discolored,etc. eventually but good airflow is key. I had a qp out in driveway when I lived in Ohio that lasted like 7 or 8 years just use long course thread wood screws so it holds well

|

@coupd_tat

4/16/2018 5:25 AM

I use non-treated for everything I build and then paint it.

You can get free paint at your local Hazardous Materials drop off site-find some exterior stuff. Works great if you don't care what color it is.

I had a non-treated quarterpipe last 10 years in Minnesota weather with a coat of paint on everything-it was 3 different colors.

Many don't understand Minnesota weather goes from 30 below 0 in the winter with a foot or two of snow to 100+ and humid as hell in the summer with hail and a bunch of rain/tornadoes, storms and wind (sometimes that's just one in week too)

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/16/2018 6:45 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

You can get free paint at your local Hazardous Materials drop off ...more

Be real careful digging around in Hazardous Materials drop-offs. I've been in the tattoo industry for quite some time helping my father, and those guys just throw stuff on top of stuff, so a box of used needles could have potentially broken with needles strewn about. Not very likely but it can happen.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/16/2018 7:15 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Be real careful digging around in Hazardous Materials drop-offs. I've been in the tattoo industry for quite some time helping ...more

It's not a junkyard (at least not locally). They actually put the paint etc on shelves in a climate controlled room at the few I have been to-like a garage sale for old paint etc but it is free.

There are salvage yards etc that happens in, but typically hazardous materials like paint are taken care of in a more environmentally friendly way.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/16/2018 7:19 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

You can get free paint at your local Hazardous Materials drop off ...more

HavokDJ wrote:

Be real careful digging around in Hazardous Materials drop-offs. I've been in the tattoo industry for quite some time helping ...more

dave lawrence wrote:

It's not a junkyard (at least not locally). They actually put the paint etc on shelves in a climate controlled room at the few ...more

Oh.
I've never been to one outside of Mississippi but I kinda figured they were all like that.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/16/2018 7:28 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Oh.
I've never been to one outside of Mississippi but I kinda figured they were all like that.

Definitely something to keep in mind anyway though!

I'm surprised the tattoo folks aren't disposing things like Medical waste typically is...seems like a hazard that could cause a LOT of issues.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura