Question for my fellow brake riders!

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2018 3:56 PM

So, basically, I want to know y'alls personal preferences on how you grab your lever. I use 1 finger to slow down and do tricks, and also, do you guys always have a finger on the brake? I always keep my one finger on my lever whether I'm using the brake or not. I usually like to feather my brake a little before I do a trick as I want to be going at that 'perfect' speed...

Idk I know this is kinda pointless, but I've been enjoying my brakes so much so I wanted to just what y'all like!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/18/2018 4:07 PM

Sorta depends on what I'm doing with them. If I'm planning on sticking my nose on coping, I tend to grab a heavy amount so the wheel doesn't slip. Anything like that in always grabbing a handful. Otherwise just a couple fingers

|

7/18/2018 6:06 PM

im in between to be honest with if brakes 100% dialed 1 finger, if not 2

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

7/18/2018 6:21 PM

One finger for airs and jumps, two for abubacus and fufanus and what not. I’ll always have one on the lever regardless since it’s natural to me by now.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/18/2018 9:00 PM

When I’m riding trail I DO keep a finger on the brake. 1 because like you said the “perfect speed” and 2 because my soon to be old trails (building new ones at the house I’m moving into with HALF AN ACRE!!!) are sketchy as he’ll because there is a cliff like hill heading to a creek and the bottom of all the jumps/birms

|

If you ain't fallin you ain't trying.

7/18/2018 9:50 PM

Almost always 2 unless I am confident in the terrain ahead or im doing a trick thst doesnt require brakes.

|

7/18/2018 9:59 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

So, basically, I want to know y'alls personal preferences on how you grab your lever. I use 1 finger to slow down and do ...more

I use 1, 2 if I am in a location I might have to really stop fast. I don’t always have a finger on the lever. Just depends on what I am doing.

|

7/18/2018 10:29 PM

Man! It's so cool so see how different everyone is! But like I said. I ALWAYS have my Index finger on the lever... I only use on finger for tricks and one to slow down?

|

7/19/2018 3:25 AM

readybmxer wrote:

One finger for airs and jumps, two for abubacus and fufanus and what not. I’ll always have one on the lever regardless since ...more

Exactly this.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

7/19/2018 11:44 AM

One finger for manuals and casual riding and slowdowns, 2 for fufanus and abubacas and tire taps.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/19/2018 12:48 PM

I've been training myself for the eventuality of going brakeless, so:

- Regular riding: No fingers on the lever
- Park when its busy - One finger on the lever
- I can't abubuca or fufanu just yet, but I'm a big boy. I might go with 3 fingers

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/19/2018 1:12 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I've been training myself for the eventuality of going brakeless, so:

- Regular riding: No fingers on the lever
- Park when ...more

No need to train for brakeless. If it's what you wanna do, just pop em off and go for it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

7/19/2018 1:17 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

No need to train for brakeless. If it's what you wanna do, just pop em off and go for it.

Not in the city...Too many people not paying attention. I've saved myself and other people by a quick tap.

It's more that I just don't want to become reliant on it. I refuse to use my brake on a manual or a fakie to slow down. I'd like to be able to master bike control in the purest form.

|

7/19/2018 1:27 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Not in the city...Too many people not paying attention. I've saved myself and other people by a quick tap.

It's more that I ...more

Uuummmmm.... I'd just use your brake to slow yourself down in fairies and what not. I mean, that's what you have brakes for, to slow yourself down lol

I've ridden brakeless for a year. And now that I have brakes on, I use them to slow my fakies down and I keep a finger on my lever in manuals too, since I learned manuals brakeless I don't use them for manuals so I've got them technique pretty down... but if you got them, use them!

One thing I hate about having brakes though, is when you're playing a game of B.I.K.E with someone and they're like, "umm, well, you can't use your brakes becaseubthats not fair." No, fuck you, I have brakes on my bike, so I can use them, that's like going to the park with only one pedal on and playing a game of B.I.K.E and saying, "um you can't use your left pedal because I don't have one."

Idk, I'm pretty bored right now lol

|

7/19/2018 1:34 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Uuummmmm.... I'd just use your brake to slow yourself down in fairies and what not. I mean, that's what you have brakes for, ...more

Well that's what I'm saying though. I want to be able to manual without using the brakes at all, so I don't use them. I want to perfect the technique by itself rather than rely on the brake for help.

It's not like I think its cheating, its just that someday I'd like to toy around with riding brakeless without feeling like I'm doing something without something missing, you know?

Either way I've got a few years of practice before I actually do end up building a brakeless bike, but I do enjoy the simplicity and clean look.

|

7/19/2018 1:38 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Uuummmmm.... I'd just use your brake to slow yourself down in fairies and what not. I mean, that's what you have brakes for, ...more

played bike the other night with a friend he said no brake tricks so i did a brakeless 360 tiretap, he cant because hes on a freecoaster no pedal pressure grin

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

7/19/2018 1:57 PM

RonnieRawdawg wrote:

played bike the other night with a friend he said no brake tricks so i did a brakeless 360 tiretap, he cant because hes on a ...more

That's a dick move, but also hilarious

|

Hmmm

7/19/2018 2:08 PM

Whenever riders tell me it’s cheating to use brakes in BIKE, I ask them where the rulebook for bike setups are.

I win every time. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/19/2018 2:08 PM

Edman123 wrote:

That's a dick move, but also hilarious

cool cool

I don't think it's a dick move, I think it's pretty fair, I mean, nothing is stopping Ronnie's friend from riding a cassette or running brakestonguelaughing
|

7/19/2018 2:09 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Whenever riders tell me it’s cheating to use brakes in BIKE, I ask them where the rulebook for bike setups are.

I win every ...more

Very truecool

|

7/19/2018 4:24 PM

1 or 2 depending, like others here. Same for my motorcycle.

|