Question for those who have experience

Related:
Create New Tag

5/18/2016 11:37 AM

I have twombolts, and the wedge deal is fine, but they have play. The inner part of the arm looks perfect from what I can tell-no damages that are visible. Same with the wedge-one of the pieces DID pop off, but it goes back onto the little wire/plastic thingy just fine. I can't seem to get rid of the play unless I make everything obnoxiously tight.

I got em on a swap for some Ezra Geist cranks-so no warranty etc for me. The BB I got ahold of did NOT have a spacer which I will remedy in time.

Just curious if anyone has some suggestions aside from new cranks (budget doesn't have much wiggle at the moment)?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2016 12:21 PM

sounds like you might need an extra spacer in your crank arm. right before the wedge piece.

|

It’s all bmx

5/18/2016 12:24 PM

How many spacers do you have behind the wedge cluster? In other words is the cluster recessed, or flush with the spindle? Or does it protrude beyond the spindle? Ideally you want the cluster to protrude beyond the spindle by say a 1/16" (+/-) or so.

Maybe you already know all this, but that'd be my suggestion.

|

5/18/2016 12:34 PM

Might be too many spacers/washers on the spindle… I think those cranks aren't meant to be used with a lot of spacers, in fact Odyssey's BB kit only comes with 1 cone spacer so that might be your problem.

Try it with less spacers and see what happens.

|

5/18/2016 1:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2016 1:27 PM

I have just the one cone on the non drive side, and on the drive side I actually had to rig a spacer to allow the sprocket not to rub on the BB shell or bearings...the other cone that I was given KILLED the chain line.

So it goes from ND to DR side:

ND Crank arm-Cone-Spacer-Bearing-Nothing in BB shell-Bearing-Rigged spacer-sprocket-DS arm.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2016 1:28 PM

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Perhaps this lil fella will help tongue
|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2016 1:31 PM

When I had mine the elastic band thing completely fell apart and they still worked spot on. Maybe it's because of the lack of tube spacer, meaning you can't tighten them up against everything without putting that force on the bearings. Once that's in you'll be able to tighten to your hearts content without the bb stiffening up.

|

5/18/2016 1:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/18/2016 3:58 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

When I had mine the elastic band thing completely fell apart and they still worked spot on. Maybe it's because of the lack of ...more

Yea, I'm gonna invest a little time etc into some spacers and a tube for between the bearings and see if the arm was deformed (even though it doesn't appear to be).

I have zero experience with these fellas, so I figured I would ask!

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2016 2:47 PM

My thunderbolts cranks did the samething. Non drive crank arm felt loose? Little of play to it
New wedge fixed my problem

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

5/18/2016 3:59 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

My thunderbolts cranks did the samething. Non drive crank arm felt loose? Little of play to it
New wedge fixed my problem

I'm on the fence with that or just saying F it and finding new cranks as soon as I can.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2016 6:59 PM

Cluster is only $20 bucks? Not a bad investment.

|

F¬ Bom 5403692331

5/18/2016 7:55 PM

Yeah if a tube spacer doesn't fix the problem, a new wedge cluster might. But like Steve said, the elastic band doesn't really matter when they're installed, it's just for ease of use.

|

5/18/2016 7:56 PM

Brian_Griffin wrote:

Cluster is only $20 bucks? Not a bad investment.

Yea, BUT if I can make what I have work, why spend the money?

Especially if there is no guarantee it will work tongue

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/18/2016 10:43 PM

I always worried I was putting mine on wrong. Not having the band made it really fiddley. I had to use grease to stick the wedges to the axle then carefully put the arm on. To make it a bit easier I put the wedges only kind of half on the axle, so the thin end of the was hanging off the end. As I tightened it pushed the wedges into place. It felt solid, I reckon I could've done it finger tight and it still wouldn't have wobbled. Maybe if you only put the wedges half on and tighten from there it might help.

|

5/19/2016 11:29 AM

You need one small spacer between the cone and cluster on the non-DS. I had the same problem then realized the installation instructions clearly state that but I somehow overlooked it

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

5/19/2016 1:28 PM

ironmaiden666 wrote:

You need one small spacer between the cone and cluster on the non-DS. I had the same problem then realized the installation ...more

This actually makes some sense. I'll see what I can make work. If the cone doesn't press in the wedge, there might be a lil wiggle/play.

Thanks man!

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura