Questions on New Frame

Related:
Create New Tag

12/11/2019 4:56 PM

Hope all are doing well.

I’m looking into getting a new frame and could use some geometry input. I’m currently on a Kink SXTN with a 21” tt and 13.65 chain stay. I’m about 6’3 and I like the longer chainstay. I was previously on a 20.75tt with 13.25, but it was way too small and I felt like I would loop out b/c of the short chainstay.

I’ve been looking at the Kink contender with a 21.3tt, but the chainstay is 13.25 slammed. Will I still feel like I’m going to loop out, or will the longer top tube help offset the chainstay decrease? Thanks for the input.

Signed,

Old and not good at bmx

|

12/11/2019 5:08 PM

What is your style of riding?
My 21 TT with a 12.5 CS still feels more squirrelly than my 20.5TT with a 13.2 CS if that helps

|

12/11/2019 5:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2019 5:14 PM

j588 wrote:

Hope all are doing well.

I’m looking into getting a new frame and could use some geometry input. I’m currently on a Kink SXTN with a 21” tt and 13.65 chain stay. I’m about 6’3 and I like the longer chainstay. I was previously on a 20.75tt with 13.25, but it was way too small and I felt like I would loop out b/c of the short chainstay.

I’ve been looking at the Kink contender with a 21.3tt, but the chainstay is 13.25 slammed. Will I still feel like I’m going to loop out, or will the longer top tube help offset the chainstay decrease? Thanks for the input.

Signed,

Old and not good at bmx

If I were you I'd look at the BSD raider frame, at 6'3" I would go 21.5tt. I'm 6'0" and sometimes feel crammed on a 21 even. Here's the 2019 model on sale now...
https://us.sourcebmx.com/collections/bmx-frames/products/bsd-raider-frame-2019?variant=25809122000960

And the 2020 model at full retail.
https://us.sourcebmx.com/products/bsd-raider-2020-frame?currency=usd&lang=en&loc=us

the 2019 has one with a 21.3tt

|

12/11/2019 5:18 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

My 21 TT with a 12.5 CS still feels more squirrelly than my 20.5TT with a 13.2 CS if that helps

My question is, what would a 21.25tt with a 12.5 cs feel like?

|

12/11/2019 5:33 PM

HtownGetDown wrote:

DirtyLimp wrote:

My question is, what would a 21.25tt with a 12.5 cs feel like?

Infinite manual cheat code unlocked

|

12/11/2019 8:22 PM

If you didn't like a smaller frame with a short CS, I don't think the longer TT is going to make it better... If anything you will have the combination off having to lift up more on the front end, until the sensitivity of the short CS kicks in (loop out feeling).

I'm your same height and my Tall Boy has a 21.5" TT and I run it at 13.5" slammed. Even at 13.5" my rear end feels too short, but I've just lived with it... Next frame is definitely going to be 14"-14.25" slammed. For me personally a 21.5" TT is the shortest I'll go, but everyone has their own personal preferences.

|

12/13/2019 10:03 AM

In my opinion new stuff is always gonna feel too easy or too hard at first you just have to adapt to the bikes geometry

Plus parts play a big part in this, for example the higher rise bars and steerer tube will make any frame feel easier to loop out

I went from a 21” sxtn to a 21” contender and the chainstay length differences only made a slight difference in the overall feel of the bike

I am a bit shorter though standing at 5’9”

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

12/13/2019 12:20 PM

You don't have to slam it...

|

12/13/2019 12:42 PM

Thanks for al the replies. Looks like I have a bit more research to do. The tall boy seems interesting. Thanks!

|

12/13/2019 1:46 PM

i didn't read any of this, but i'm assuming you want a new frame. get the new hoffman bikes big daddy frame because Kevin Jones is the MOTHERFUCKING GOAT

|

fack off

12/13/2019 2:02 PM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

In my opinion new stuff is always gonna feel too easy or too hard at first you just have to adapt to the bikes geometry

Plus parts play a big part in this, for example the higher rise bars and steerer tube will make any frame feel easier to loop out

I went from a 21” sxtn to a 21” contender and the chainstay length differences only made a slight difference in the overall feel of the bike

I am a bit shorter though standing at 5’9”

I found, different tire front/rear combos, pedal thickness, and even grip thickness helps to tune a bike to your liking.

Too low of a bb?...get some thicc pedals.
Want your bike to feel a bit easier to hop?...get a big ol front tire and a small rear.
Do your bars feel a bit too low? Throw some meaty grips on and they will feel a smidge taller.

None of these changes will make a huge impact by themselves but when you add them into the geometry equation that is your bike, it adds up!

To the op, i have found a longer top tube makes the bike feel more stable if all other frame geo is the same. As mentioned above, a short chainstay will have more of an impact on how the bike responds to hops than a toptube (within reason).

|

12/13/2019 2:57 PM

j588 wrote:

Thanks for al the replies. Looks like I have a bit more research to do. The tall boy seems interesting. Thanks!

The newer V2 Tall Boy has an even shorter CS than the first one (13"), so just keep that in mind (I have the V1).

The S&M DTF is almost exactly like the V1 Tall Boy, but it has a slightly lower BB, chain tensioners and the rear end is 13.3"-14.05".

|

12/13/2019 3:03 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

i didn't read any of this, but i'm assuming you want a new frame. get the new hoffman bikes big daddy frame because Kevin Jones is the MOTHERFUCKING GOAT

TL;DR: OP is 6'3" and his last 20.75" frame felt too short...

The 20.5" Big Daddy frame is probably not what he's looking for . lol

|

12/14/2019 11:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2019 11:22 AM

Oops

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit