Quikcrete ledges? Worth it?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/9/2018 10:20 AM

I have found some cool spots recently but the concrete is so messed up it doest really slide.

Would it be worth it to try and repair the holes and cracks with a pre-mix or would that just pop off after the first grind?

|

2/9/2018 10:25 AM

Use a concrete adhesive if you do do it.
But I don't think it's worth it unless you ride there a lot and know that the owner could care less.
I don't know how the legal system in parts of the US works where bmx riders can be arrested for vandalism for grinding but if cops like to pick on people where you live I wouldn't do it.
I would hate to have the fact that some kid on a bmx bike got a criminal record for grinding a spot because of something I had done on my consciousness.

|

Hmmm

2/9/2018 10:27 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I have found some cool spots recently but the concrete is so messed up it doest really slide.

Would it be worth it to try ...more

Are they your property? I'm guessing they aren't. In that case you have several issues that I'm sure you are aware of. Messing with someone else's peppery, blah, blah, blah. That being said, to answer your question, I don't think your patch work would last very long. But, since you were planning on spending money on someone else's property, why not wait until a day when they are closed, get yourself a piece of pipe, drill out the ends for some bolts, drill the concrete and set bolt anchors, & really make a cool spot?!

|

2/9/2018 10:36 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Are they your property? I'm guessing they aren't. In that case you have several issues that I'm sure you are aware of. Messing ...more

I was more or less wanting to bring a small tub of premixed stuff in a backpack, fill in the holes and come back sometime in the next couple days...

I think if anything I would be doing the place a favor by repairing it...but I could see how it could be a ptoblem.

Sounds like it wont be worth it. Ok thanks for the advice guys!

|

2/9/2018 10:41 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Are they your property? I'm guessing they aren't. In that case you have several issues that I'm sure you are aware of. Messing ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

I was more or less wanting to bring a small tub of premixed stuff in a backpack, fill in the holes and come back sometime in ...more

Thinking about it now if you found some spray paint the same colour as the concrete you could make seamless edges and the owner would never know

|

Hmmm

2/9/2018 10:50 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

I was more or less wanting to bring a small tub of premixed stuff in a backpack, fill in the holes and come back sometime in ...more

Edman123 wrote:

Thinking about it now if you found some spray paint the same colour as the concrete you could make seamless edges and the ...more

Its on school property. I think Ill just be best avoiding it for now. There are still parts to ride just was wanting to fix missing chunks and possibly even fill in the separation lines between each slab.

|

2/9/2018 11:01 AM

Build a shadow conspiracy coffin box instead

|

2/9/2018 11:32 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Build a shadow conspiracy coffin box instead

Lol

|

2/9/2018 12:49 PM

I saw something like 2 years ago, I can't seem to find though.

They took a horribly rough ledge and got it like glass smooth.

They used a mix to smooth over the whole ledge, then a sealant but they also used legit concrete tools to make it look like a pro did it. The thing looked BRAND new when done.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/9/2018 3:08 PM

Tbh you run the same risks by waxing up a ledge, which I'm sure most of us do frequently.

I could see myself doing something of the sort, but I'd do it at night & I would walk to the spot so if they are thrown off by it when they see it & check cameras, they won't be looking for a guy on a BMX bike.

Id say send it, after all, you plan on waxing it and grinding it anyways, which are both vandalism as well. Just dont get caught & be smart about it. Do a good job too so hopefully nobody gets pissed off about it.

As for durability, I've rode fully quikcrete ledges and they seemed to hold up fine. I'd guess just do your research and get the more durable kind of quikcrete.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/9/2018 3:31 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Tbh you run the same risks by waxing up a ledge, which I'm sure most of us do frequently.

I could see myself doing something ...more

I was thinking get a small bottle of that blue concrete adhesion stuff that makes wet concrete stick to dry. Concrete on top of already dry concrete will probably just fall off unless there are loads of cracks that it can hold on to.
Speaking of this I need to pick up a rub brick or two because literally a ten second ride from my house there is a massive granite ledge at the edge of a car park that is rough.

|

Hmmm

2/9/2018 4:24 PM

It'd be easier to sink a couple concrete lag screws through a 90 degree piece of angle iron on the edge of said ledge and grind away. It's not very durable to set quikcrete to already hardened concrete even with adhesive in my experience especially grinding over and over. That way you don't waste a ton of time and if someone does say something about you fucking up their property it's quickly removeable/not permanent.

|

@coupd_tat

2/9/2018 4:43 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I could see myself doing something ...more

This is reassuring...

I do wax the shit out of this spot. I use white wax so its a bit less noticeable if its a spot that I havent grinded but want to.

I am glad to hear you have had success with the quick fix stuff. Ill have to pick some up!

Maybe tonight!

|

2/9/2018 4:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/9/2018 4:46 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

It'd be easier to sink a couple concrete lag screws through a 90 degree piece of angle iron on the edge of said ledge and ...more

That would require driving to the spot to bting the angle iron...i try not to ride next to my vehicles in case I have to ride away real quick.

Not a bad idea though. For a more secluded spot it would be pretty awesome!

|

2/9/2018 6:55 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

It'd be easier to sink a couple concrete lag screws through a 90 degree piece of angle iron on the edge of said ledge and ...more

Bulletpup wrote:

That would require driving to the spot to bting the angle iron...i try not to ride next to my vehicles in case I have to ride ...more

This got me thinking about it and apparently after you have rub bricked a rough ledge, before you wax it it can help to spray lacquer on it. Interesting I think I have a new task to complete over a few very early mornings now

|

Hmmm

2/9/2018 7:43 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

That would require driving to the spot to bting the angle iron...i try not to ride next to my vehicles in case I have to ride ...more

Edman123 wrote:

This got me thinking about it and apparently after you have rub bricked a rough ledge, before you wax it it can help to spray ...more

Correct. Brick-rub until it's nice and smooth, spray it with a few coats of lacquer and then wax it. Works a treat!

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson