R.I.P. Wheels...

Related:
Create New Tag

11/19/2017 9:08 PM

Photo
Photo

Well broke 2 spokes in 1 day so now I have a total of 4 broken spokes, equally 2 in front, and 2 in back... and then tomorrow I plan on going to my LBS to pick up some spokes, and then put them in and true my wheels becasue they are both bent. So so you guys break spokes? If you do how often?

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/19/2017 9:40 PM

Only time I have ever broken a spoke was when I built up a front wheel from old, previously used spokes and random parts because I was bored. I broke 34 spokes with the first 180 I did.

If you're breaking spokes, somebody is doing/has done something wrong. A well built, prestressed wheel should last a very long time without breaking spokes if you're not grinding without hub guards.

At the same time, I have seen worse. I've known people to break 13 spokes in a wheel and keep riding. Just make sure that you replace the 2 spokes either side of the broken ones as well because they've been taking up the load of the broken ones as well as their own load and are probably fatigued. That way, your wheels will last a bit longer.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/19/2017 9:50 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Only time I have ever broken a spoke was when I built up a front wheel from old, previously used spokes and random parts ...more

Yeah that's a good point to check/replace the spokes across form the broken ones... but my wheels have been worse, one time I was missing like 5 spokes in each wheel, but once I realized how bad it was fr the wheel I got them replaced and the wheels trued... the wheels were holding up good when they were fixed after I had the 5 broken spokes, but now I've started to ride alot harder and they just seem to be just popping and snapping now... but I am going to buy quite a few extras becasue spokes are cheap and then when I break spokes I can just instantly replace them so I'm good to go... I don't mind working on wheels, I mean it's kinda hard but it's just mostly time consuming and patience to build/true them... but I'll just throw on some music and then ham out and fix wheels and the rest of my bike lol....

|

11/19/2017 9:57 PM

I break spokes all the time and I have hub guards. I land really sketchy a lot, and my rear hub guard just barely covers the top of the flange since it's higher than most, so I still wear the spokes down from grinding. Front I hardly ever break unless I snag a spoke when I 180 into grinds or something.

right now I'm missing probably 3 or 4 in the rear, and I think 2 in the front

|

11/19/2017 10:05 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah that's a good point to check/replace the spokes across form the broken ones... but my wheels have been worse, one time I ...more

Keep in mind, replacing individual spokes is not the best way to keep your wheels alive. Eventually, they'll need a full rebuild or you'll start to break a few at a time, all the time.

I enjoy building/truing/tensioning wheels, it's actually kind of therapeutic. We spend so much time running around trying to get 50 things done at once so, it's nice every now and then, to just sit down, take your time and do a single task to the best of your ability, regardless of how long that takes.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/19/2017 10:20 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Only time I have ever broken a spoke was when I built up a front wheel from old, previously used spokes and random parts ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah that's a good point to check/replace the spokes across form the broken ones... but my wheels have been worse, one time I ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

Keep in mind, replacing individual spokes is not the best way to keep your wheels alive. Eventually, they'll need a full ...more

Well yeah eventually it will need a full rebuild yes, but I'll get that done soon probably becasue now it's startimg to get cold here and tbh cold weather makes riding suck for me for some reason just becasue it gets me sick and bring outside in the cold in general just sucks lol.. but to the point of it getting cold means I'll have mre time to just build wheels and hopefully get my wheels fully taken care of again...

|

11/19/2017 10:21 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I break spokes all the time and I have hub guards. I land really sketchy a lot, and my rear hub guard just barely covers the ...more

Yeah I just break spokes by just land hard/sketchy alot... I don't grind so that doesn't affect my spokes breaking lol...

|

11/19/2017 10:45 PM

Only time I snapped a spoke in recent years was a pedal feeble to 180, came off the ledge slower than expected and hit a spoke right on the corner of the ledge. Still managed to roll out of it though. Some people have plenty of broken spokes and don't seem to care. But I guess that's a part of everyone treating parts like they're disposable now.

I built a new wheel the other day, I completely agree with it being therapeutic. I used to debuild and rebuild my wheels just for something to do. But now I'm pretty quick at it so it feels like I can't really get into it. About half an hour and it's done. I get to build a new front wheel soon too XD

|

11/20/2017 6:32 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Only time I snapped a spoke in recent years was a pedal feeble to 180, came off the ledge slower than expected and hit a spoke ...more

I think once yiu can work on your bike and yiu can work on it very well it is very therapeutic... usually once or twice a week I'll take my bike apart, regrease parts, clean the bike, and make sure everything is still tight and snug... but I'll just throw some music on and jam out and work on my bike...

|

11/20/2017 10:55 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Only time I snapped a spoke in recent years was a pedal feeble to 180, came off the ledge slower than expected and hit a spoke ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I think once yiu can work on your bike and yiu can work on it very well it is very therapeutic... usually once or twice a week ...more

I never understood that. I fucking despise working on my bike.

|

Hmmm

11/20/2017 10:56 AM

Haven’t broken a single one on my current wheelset since I bought them two years ago. Never ride street, all I do nowadays are brake tricks and footjam stuff on quarters, heh.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/20/2017 10:58 AM

thats nothing i have had 9 broken spokes in one wheel at the same time

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

11/20/2017 11:08 AM

yrrep_nitsuj wrote:

thats nothing i have had 9 broken spokes in one wheel at the same time

One of my freinds has something like 14 missing right now

|

Hmmm

11/20/2017 11:17 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I think once yiu can work on your bike and yiu can work on it very well it is very therapeutic... usually once or twice a week ...more

I fix bikes at work all day so I get bored of it. My bike is dialled, but I'd only ever touch anything on it if there's some kind of problem. Bolts aren't really designed to be constantly loosened and tightened. And most places you'd put grease on a bmx is just to prevent seizing. By stripping it and rebuilding it every couple of weeks you're probably doing more bad than good.

|

11/20/2017 1:05 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I fix bikes at work all day so I get bored of it. My bike is dialled, but I'd only ever touch anything on it if there's some ...more

Yeah I realize that bolts aren't meant to be taken apart constantly, but I only usually fix something if I hear or feel something wrong with my bike...

|

11/20/2017 1:30 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

I fix bikes at work all day so I get bored of it. My bike is dialled, but I'd only ever touch anything on it if there's some ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah I realize that bolts aren't meant to be taken apart constantly, but I only usually fix something if I hear or feel ...more

I thought you just said that you regreased and rebuilt your bike twice a week.

|

Hmmm

11/20/2017 2:05 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Yeah I realize that bolts aren't meant to be taken apart constantly, but I only usually fix something if I hear or feel ...more

Edman123 wrote:

He Did Lol

|

just living with autism and riding bikes

11/20/2017 3:19 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Well yes I did lol.... but I meant like things that need to be regreased or replaced... when something breaks or needs to be regreased I just take care of it when it needs to be done I don't procrastinate on stuff like that.... but I also said I clean the bike, which I do once or twice a week depending how dirty it gets... I clean it becaude it helps me see the welds so I can see if anything is cracked or looks bad...

|

11/20/2017 3:37 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Well yes I did lol.... but I meant like things that need to be regreased or replaced... when something breaks or needs to be ...more

OK.
Unfortunately whenever I break something it means I can't ride for a while because it's always an important and expensive part sad

|

Hmmm

11/20/2017 4:56 PM

i’ve been riding bmx for about 3 years now and i’ve only ever broken one spoke. real shit.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

11/21/2017 8:48 PM

Riding about 10 years and I've broken maybe 10 spokes. Keep em true and tight you won't have a problem. That being said I once had a skater shoot his board into my back wheel while I was chilling and it blew out like 10 spokes at the same time so it's not always avoidable. Made him pay me for it though and replace them right away so whatever shit happens

|

@coupd_tat

11/21/2017 9:30 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

Riding about 10 years and I've broken maybe 10 spokes. Keep em true and tight you won't have a problem. That being said I once ...more

Thats a funny visual.

|

11/21/2017 9:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/3/2018 12:42 PM

coupde_tat wrote:

Riding about 10 years and I've broken maybe 10 spokes. Keep em true and tight you won't have a problem. That being said I once ...more

Dude that sucks! But that is a funny story to tell... I've had skateboards hit my wheels before and thankfully they weren't damaged from any of them...

EDIT: Just in case anyone was wondering, I got my wheels all fixed up today and now my bike is dialed!

|