RIP Éclat wheel 2016 - 7/1/17

Related:
Create New Tag

7/2/2017 1:46 PM

Can't see from the pictures but it's warped and bent to fucking shit and the nipple finally pulled through sad((

Photo

Photo

Photo

So I just ended up buying a Clutch V2 because my back wheel ain't doing so well either , and sure enough it's my front one that goes sad kind of bummed because WTP is coming here next Saturday and I get paid on Friday . So I'll have to bring my broken bike downtown and get a new wheel there . I'll be rusty for the jam ! Here's the beast though ..
Photo

Photo

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/2/2017 6:48 PM

Sucks man

1 question

Have you ever tensioned or trued it?

I only ask because while I have blown rims, it was from a big drop or crash. That wheel looks new. And if you never trued it or tensioned it...you cost yourself money for a new rim. Little tip (even if you did do both) buy a Park spoke wrench and every week or so check the spoke tension and straightness of the wheel. When you see bends or feel loose spokes...fix them then. Trust me knowing how to do both yourself is something I wish I could go back in time and have my 42yr old self tell my 15yr old self. Would have saved me probably a grand on rims and spokes over the years till I learned how to do it lace/tension/true wheels at 22.

|

7/2/2017 10:51 PM

^ ya I've got a wrench and almost always made sure my spokes weren't lose . Pretty sure a bunch were somewhat overtightened but I got them trued professionally too .

I'm just happy it went while riding flat and small stuff then a big drop .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/2/2017 11:13 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Sucks man

1 question

Have you ever tensioned or trued it?

I only ask because while I have blown rims, it was from a big ...more

Yep, this. Learning to build, true & tension wheels when I was 17/18 was a very good decision cause I never had to wait for a shop to do any of it.

I used to fix them as soon as it happened, but I beat the fuck out of my rear wheel and snap spokes too often from landing rough/sketchy, so I get lazy sometimes and just let it go but it still trues out pretty nicely.

Spoke pulling through is the result of improper tension though, you (or whoever trued your wheel) made them too tight and that's why it happened. Or it's just a shitty rim. Even so, you could still ride it without a couple spokes. Or since you got a new rear wheel, if your old rim is in better shape, just swap that over to the front in the meantime.

|