RIP frame

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2017 2:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2017 2:11 AM

My frame has cracked unfortunately. I guess I won't be riding for 2 months or so. The Fit Hawk or whatever for frame it is has been one of my favourite frames to ride. The geometry is close to perfect and hopefully I'll get a similar geo frame.

Wasn't expecting it to crack how it did. I was about to go try learn barspins since I was motivated and sort of close. Was cleaning my bike and saw the crack.

Either way I need to get other things sorted with my life so hopefully this happening will make me concentrate on more important things.

Photo

Photo

|

3/28/2017 11:17 AM

That sucks, beautiful and rare frame

|

3/28/2017 11:37 AM

The cult hawk frame should have similar geo.

|

3/28/2017 12:24 PM

In the past few days/week i have seen a few videos and pics of guys cracking or snapping frames....and pretty much ALL of them have been FIT bikes, could just be a coincidence but its put me off going near any of their stuff

|

3/28/2017 1:34 PM

You COULD have someone weld it as a TEMP fix while you work out a new frame.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/28/2017 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2017 1:37 PM

Curious if these limited editions where made by S&M, or built overseas? Either way still a nice frame and sad to see it gone. RIP

Also glad you caught it early and didn't get hurt potentially!

|

3/28/2017 2:13 PM

weegaz22 wrote:

In the past few days/week i have seen a few videos and pics of guys cracking or snapping frames....and pretty much ALL of them ...more

I'd say it's coincidence, all I see around here are federals cracking!

Pretty sure these were s&m made

|

3/28/2017 2:24 PM

Cool cool. I'm sure that frame got some good use... I believe it's from 2008-ish, no?

Just another reminder to always inspect your bike frequently.

|

3/28/2017 4:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2017 4:34 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

The cult hawk frame should have similar geo.

I guess I could buy that or try something a little different. I'm not sure what geo I'm wanting for the next frame.

I'll either buy a 2nd hand frame or a new one. I was thinking of wtp as they have lifetime warranty but will have time to choose whatever suits and I could probably put a post up asking about it.

|

3/28/2017 4:33 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Curious if these limited editions where made by S&M, or built overseas? Either way still a nice frame and sad to see it ...more

Yeah could of been bad even if I tried something simple. I was about to put my wheels back on after then I was like wtf is it broken lol

|

3/28/2017 5:06 PM

they fuct up by welding the gusset all the way around instead of leaving it open ended...

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

3/28/2017 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2017 5:17 PM

Metalbmxer wrote:

they fuct up by welding the gusset all the way around instead of leaving it open ended...

I actually didn't know this, why should it have been left open ended?

Edit: Here's what I found from GSPORT's website:

"The gussets also do two things: firstly they simply increase the amount of metal, but they also move the weld away from the highest stress area.There still is a weld of course but at the headtube its through a thick gusset (and hopefully the tube too) so the stress is lower. If we leave the gusset ‘open ended’ (ie. We don’t weld the far end) then we have eliminated the stress concentrator and heat affected zone. SO if we leave the gusset open ended it will be stronger but how can the gusset take any stress if it isn’t welded to the tube? Well it can but there is a problem. We do weld the gusset along the edges, this is down nearer to the center of the tube where the stresses are lowest; unfortunately this means that it takes some distance for the stress to transfer from the gusset to tube so open ended gussets need to be a little longer but are still the way to go…" link here: http://www.gsportbmx.com/2002/12/frame-design-details/

|

3/28/2017 5:19 PM

Metalbmxer wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

"The ...more

yeah by closing off the gusset they created a stress point that concentrated all the stress just past the tip of the gusset. It'll crack right where yours did EVERY time.

But, by leaving a gusset open ended you in effect dissipate all the forces along the sides of gusset and thus it's much more resistant to cracking. More experienced bike co's have been doing it open ended for years now.

|

Dax in NYC
MD & Flatland rider

3/28/2017 5:22 PM

Metalbmxer wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

"The ...more

It's not usually a problem as long as there's a relief hole in the headtube to prevent weld blowout. If a frame is properly heat-treated and the welder knows what they're doing, closed gussets are actually stronger. A closed gusset is a lot more rigid than an open one so if it's poorly/not heat-treated it snaps a lot easier.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/28/2017 11:23 PM

Metalbmxer wrote:

Super-Pawl wrote:

"The ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

It's not usually a problem as long as there's a relief hole in the headtube to prevent weld blowout. If a frame is properly ...more

But how many frames are post weld heat treaded?

|

3/30/2017 12:26 PM

amen

|

Trails not Rails

Trails YT Channel