RNC Ti Cranks Review

Related:
Create New Tag

4/22/2021 7:37 AM

Buckled in, sold my old cranks and nd got me a pair.
My findings after about 10 riding sessions is they are Worth it and noticeable positive difference in bike handling. I can seriously feel the weight difference a lot more than I thought The only downside I can see to them is that I'll never be able to ride another set of cranks after these cuz of how much more noticeably lighter they are. I had to turn down my power on all tricks cuz of how fast the bike comes around for everything even just pulling up the front wheel. They cost twice the price of regular cranks so save up twice as long but you seriously won't regret it once they're on.
I had to wait 2months to get them but Ryan answered all my emails in under 24hrs whenever I contacted him. Beautiful cranks, easy install with no crank tool used.
I got 165s. IMO they are worth the money you pay for them.

|

4/22/2021 7:51 AM

Sean_Goff wrote:

My findings after about 10 riding sessions is they are Worth it and ...more

Good to hear. Ordered mine February 8 and still waiting...

|

4/22/2021 8:28 AM

pnfdog wrote:

Email em if you hv questions. I was upset after the first 2 weeks so i emailed in and got a reply immediately with update. They take a while to be finished but he let me know what to expect and what week they would be done. They arrived the day after the order was completed. What color you getting? I went with raw.

|

4/22/2021 8:43 AM

Frankly, imo they're ugly especially the inside view. Ironically it makes the bike look cheaper to me. I like smoother looking cranks. I'm sure they feel better to ride, but nah cosmetically not for me.

|

I get big airs off small things

4/22/2021 8:50 AM

How many oz are they?

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

4/22/2021 8:56 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

How many oz are they?

20.4 ounces arms,spindle,flush mount bolts and sprocket bolt in 175mm length and 22mm spindle.

|

REF: HELLOMYNAMEISRAD, CKY99

4/22/2021 10:01 AM

Can you post a pic of them?

|

My mom thinks I’m special

4/22/2021 10:10 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

How many oz are they?

RAD_84 wrote:

20.4 ounces arms,spindle,flush mount bolts and sprocket bolt in 175mm length and 22mm spindle.

Damn that's really unfortunate. My socket drive thunderbolts (not regular bolt drive thunderbolts) weigh 23oz (not sure of the decimal point) and only cost me $110 on sale brand new

|

-Indiana Tom

4/22/2021 1:09 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

My findings after about 10 riding sessions is they are Worth it and ...more

pnfdog wrote:

Wait for real ? The wait is crazy.

|

4/22/2021 1:13 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

How many oz are they?

RAD_84 wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Damn that's really unfortunate. My socket drive thunderbolts (not regular bolt drive thunderbolts) weigh 23oz (not sure of the ...more

How are the sockets on the sprockets treating you ? I've started to get a bit of separation on the sprocket inner/socket insert just a slightly looser fit.

|

4/22/2021 2:08 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Damn that's really unfortunate. My socket drive thunderbolts (not regular bolt drive thunderbolts) weigh 23oz (not sure of the ...more

Imagine spending $400? On a new set of lightweight cranks only to save 3 oz

|

smile

4/22/2021 2:13 PM

RAD_84 wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Yeah I mean you should have told him not to buy them and he should have listened. How dare anyone spend their own money on something they wan't whether they save 3oz or no oz. Damn. Agreed.

|

4/22/2021 2:15 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Yeah I mean you should have told him not to buy them and he should have listened. How dare anyone spend their own money on ...more

Cry about it

|

smile

4/22/2021 2:20 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

Yeah I mean you should have told him not to buy them and he should have listened. How dare anyone spend their own money on ...more

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Cry about it

I don't cry I only Whoosh.

|

4/22/2021 4:22 PM

RAD_84 wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

How are the sockets on the sprockets treating you ? I've started to get a bit of separation on the sprocket inner/socket ...more

Pretty good actually, but I don’t pedal crazy hard. Once I assembled it I vowed to never take the sprocket off. Have you ever taken yours apart?

I can understand why people would want some nice, light ti cranks but it’s weird to see that people can be that big of weight weenies. Rotational weight makes the biggest difference to the feel of a bike imo

|

-Indiana Tom

4/22/2021 4:44 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

How are the sockets on the sprockets treating you ? I've started to get a bit of separation on the sprocket inner/socket ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Pretty good actually, but I don’t pedal crazy hard. Once I assembled it I vowed to never take the sprocket off. Have you ever ...more

Probably a total violation to say so, but crank weight is so similar amongst the brands that I just buy cranks that:

1. Look cool
2. Minimal spindle bosses (my ankles get destroyed)
3. Are chromo
4. From a brand I like
5. Have LHD and RHD sprocket bosses (though I still really like my Thunderbolts)

Think my next cranks will be Merritt Battle

|

4/22/2021 7:03 PM

Cellmember wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Pretty good actually, but I don’t pedal crazy hard. Once I assembled it I vowed to never take the sprocket off. Have you ever ...more

vagabond wrote:

Probably a total violation to say so, but crank weight is so similar amongst the brands that I just buy cranks that:

1. Look ...more

I’m with ya for pretty much all those reasons, i just bought the socket drive ones cuz they were on sale and the weight just happened to be a nice lil bonus

Merritt battle cranks look cool, if I was goin with a brand besides odyssey or animal I’d have to go with demolition rigs just because they’re so beefy. Or fit indent cranks. Both look dope to me

|

-Indiana Tom

4/22/2021 7:13 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

vagabond wrote:

1. Look ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I’m with ya for pretty much all those reasons, i just bought the socket drive ones cuz they were on sale and the weight just ...more

You mentioned something that I should have added to my list: price. I expect to pay $160-$190 for a new set of cranks (tho I remember seeing battles on sale at Albes for $129 last year...but didn’t pull the trigger). Anything much higher and I have a hard time justifying the benefits vs the cost.

But...to each their own. I don’t think I’d buy titanium anything, or a Laird frame, or carbon rims. Really just because I’m happy with standard 4130/4140 and 6k/7k aluminum at this point.

|

4/22/2021 8:39 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

How many oz are they?

Mine are 19.8

|

4/22/2021 8:42 PM

+-$100/OZ

Not bad considering some people burn that..

|

4/22/2021 8:45 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

29oz to 19.8 oz is a big difference and also more than 3oz. I do sales for a living so I can easily pay the cost by hustling a little harder, and other than the price there aren't a lot of reasons not to own a pair. I bike about 4 days a week so at the amount they're getting used, they easily pay for themselves. It can seem like a bad idea if it's hard to find an extra 200, but if that isnt an issue, then it almost seems like a bad idea not to.

|

4/22/2021 8:50 PM

I’ve been running my RNC cranks about a month and really like them. I was hesitant about the price but glad I got them.
Photo
Photo

|

4/22/2021 8:50 PM

Shit ton of people spend more than that on fireworks for Independence Day.. For 2 hours of entertainment..

|

4/22/2021 8:51 PM

Photo
Photo

22mm 165s
|

4/22/2021 8:52 PM

If you crank arm grind does it shoot sparks???

|

My mom thinks I’m special

4/22/2021 9:04 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

29oz to 19.8 oz is a big difference and also more than 3oz. I do sales for a living so I can easily pay the cost by hustling a ...more

You don’t have to defend your purchase, man. I spend money on all kinds of shit that aren’t as cool or will get used as heavily as your cranks. Best part of working hard is spending your money on something you love, regardless of what others think.

Personally, I think they are cool and you should be happy with them. I just couldn’t justify the spend (for me) because I don’t have much of a need for them with my style of riding.

|

4/22/2021 9:35 PM

Photo

19.7 with grease. They also assemble/disassemble very easily without a crank puller. I use a chromo spindle bolt from an old pair of cranks to put them on and tap them out in 5 mins. I'd upload a vid here but it doesnt seem to work.
|

4/22/2021 9:50 PM

Sean_Goff wrote:

29oz to 19.8 oz is a big difference and also more than 3oz. I do sales for a living so I can easily pay the cost by hustling a ...more

Your money your choice bro. I myself enjoy getting a good, high quality product as long as I'm able to comfortably afford it. I don't like to buy cheap quality and have to keep replacing stuff.. There are people that won't pay rent or literally not put food in their fridge cause they spend the money on hobby related stuff. Now THAT"S STUPID. But if you're happy with your purchase and can easily pay for it, that's all that matters .Don't sweat the haters.

|

4/22/2021 10:33 PM

IndianaTom wrote:

If you crank arm grind does it shoot sparks???

I don't know how to crank arm but I would imagine they would.

|

4/23/2021 1:07 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Cellmember wrote:

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I put a ti spindle in my cranks and immediately felt like my back wheel lost a pound

|