Race Bike for 5yr old Beginner?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2013 6:45 AM

Hello,

1st. I have been taking my son to the local bike track for most of the summer and he really wants to race next season. I finally talked the wife into it, so now that I have the green light to spend money I am looking for a little help. My son is a very tall 5yr old for his age and if I am right he should be around the 48" height mark by next year. I am just wondering if I should get him a Redline micro-mini, mini or Jr, for example. Every size chart I look at says something different. I went to the lbs and the owner said that he was all out of those types of bikes due to lots of kids buying this year, so I will not be able to have him try it out until next year. I know I should probably just wait until next year, but I wanted to keep my eye on used bikes through Craigslist just in case I come across something.

2nd. The lbs does have a DK Jr Fury for $220. I was all for it because of the price until I seen Walmart also sells the same bike online. Am I being dumb for not wanting to buy a bike that is also sold at Walmart? I know he is just starting out and will grow out of it within a season, so I know I should go cheap, but I also do not want him to lose interest in the sport because he does not have a proper race bike to start out with.

Please share any comments or experiences you might have that will help.

Thanks!

|

10/17/2013 7:34 AM

Here is a sizing chart in the 2012 Redline racing catalog. It should give you an idea, and since its the brand you're looking at, I would be more prone to trusting it than a random Internet chart.
As far as you're second question, when it comes to racing, it's hard to beat Redline, and their prices aren't bad either.
|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

10/17/2013 7:53 AM

Redline is where it's at

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

10/17/2013 8:06 AM

Chuck8273 wrote: Here is a sizing chart in the 2012 Redline racing catalog. It should give you an idea, and since its the brand you're looking at, I would be more prone to trusting it than a random Internet chart.
As far as you're second question, when it comes to racing, it's hard to beat Redline, and their prices aren't bad either.

Thanks for the quick response! I will def check out the size chart and see what size he falls into. I bought my son a street bike last month with an 18" TT to use next year, but it seems a bit big and he struggles to ride it well, hence my post! lol

Yeah, at the local bike track, 80% of the kids are riding Redline, the rest are riding higher end or customs. Unfortunately, I will probably only be able to afford the MX entry level series.

|

10/17/2013 8:10 AM

K_A_N_E_ wrote:

Redline is where it's at

Ha! yeah I see most of the kids riding them at the track and figured they must still make quality bikes. Plus, there are used ones on CL still going for no less than $250 that are a few years old, so at least when I sell it i'll recoup some$.

|

10/17/2013 8:34 AM

Anything with 3pc cranks and dual pinch bolt stem with sealed hubs should hold up well for him. I don't know much about racing but I think a 16" sounds ideal.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/17/2013 11:29 AM

Redline and GT have always been my favorite!
although I always raced a GT.

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

10/17/2013 3:46 PM

I never raced but redline or gt is your best bet

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

10/18/2013 12:50 AM

Hi Mark. Seeing you're from Beloit makes me guess that your son would race in Rockford. With that being said, you should take him to a race and have him ride a few different sized bikes. Most people would be happy to let him try out their ride knowing that he's looking to get into racing. We'll be down there this weekend. Check out the bike shop in Loves Park/Rockford called Spoke Monkey. The owner's name is Mark also and he'd be able to let your son try a few bikes. His shop sponsors racers, and he has some kids of his own that race. My son is 7 and just started racing this past summer and he's riding a junior model race bike with 20x1.1/8 wheels and fits him great. He's about 51". It's a Specialized Hemi, so it's not a new bike, but we got it in outstanding condition from Craigslist.

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride

10/18/2013 5:19 AM

Madtown608 wrote:

Hi Mark. Seeing you're from Beloit makes me guess that your son would race in Rockford. With that being said, you should take him to a race and have him ride a few different sized bikes. Most people would be happy to let him try out their ride knowing that he's looking to get into racing. We'll be down there this weekend. Check out the bike shop in Loves Park/Rockford called Spoke Monkey. The owner's name is Mark also and he'd be able to let your son try a few bikes. His shop sponsors racers, and he has some kids of his own that race. My son is 7 and just started racing this past summer and he's riding a junior model race bike with 20x1.1/8 wheels and fits him great. He's about 51". It's a Specialized Hemi, so it's not a new bike, but we got it in outstanding condition from Craigslist.

Madtown,

Thanks for the advice. Seeing as how you know the area I am from,your advice was really helpful. Rockford is indeed the track I was speaking about in my OP. We are down there almost every Sunday and my son loves the scene. He cannot wait until next season. That is when mom cleared him to race, Ha! Two weeks ago, I heard the announcer mention that they had loaner bikes. I thought about asking, but was not sure what they had or how it works. I am also familiar with Spoke Monkey. I have seen their team riders and have also spoken to Mark via email when I was looking for my son's street bike. I ended up buying from kegal's though, but I will keep that advice in mind.

|

10/18/2013 12:50 PM

mark1280 wrote:

Madtown,

Thanks for the advice. Seeing as how you know the area I am from,your advice was really helpful. Rockford is indeed the track I was speaking about in my OP. We are down there almost every Sunday and my son loves the scene. He cannot wait until next season. That is when mom cleared him to race, Ha! Two weeks ago, I heard the announcer mention that they had loaner bikes. I thought about asking, but was not sure what they had or how it works. I am also familiar with Spoke Monkey. I have seen their team riders and have also spoken to Mark via email when I was looking for my son's street bike. I ended up buying from kegal's though, but I will keep that advice in mind.

No worries Mark. Maybe we'll see ya at the track this weekend. Don't forget about Walworth County BMX in Elkhorn for the indoor season. They start up on the last weekend of October if my memory serves me correctly. Cheers!

|

Winter is over-rated

Click here to check my ride