Rails and stuff (SECOND UPDATE)

Related:
Create New Tag

4/4/2016 10:31 PM

I am needing some new pedals, grips, and a spindle for my cranks, and as I was browsing empire, I passed by that railed seat from fit and the post from fly and kinda thought back to when I got rid of my railed seat and post on my first bike (2009 Haro F3), I only got rid of the seat and post for a more modern / up to date setup because everyone else had pivotal setups really. Anyway, any benefit to railed setups? I believe they are supposed to be stiffer, but you can snap the rails off overtime or something? Anyway I kinda wanna give a railed setup a try, all my trendy friends local to me are gonna bug me about it but that doesn't matter.

I remember my last railed seat was the perforated fit slim seat (photo below)
Photo

http://www.empirebmx.com/fit-bikes-railed-seat

http://www.empirebmx.com/flybikes-seat-post

As for the other stuff, regarding my thread about the BSD v. ODSY Dugan Pedals I am going to try the unsealed Metal Grandstands, I am learning Unluc-E grinds and I figure that way I won't kill a brand new set of pedals within a day, everything else, I am just getting a new 19mm 48 spline spindle because I think my splines are gaining a flat spot where my sprocket sits so I have constant shifting tight/loose spots which is no good. Grips, either more ODI Longneck St's or S&M Hoders... possibly Odyssey SXTN, Raiford, or Dugan Grips if I wanna go the ODSY route.

That's all for now, thanks for reading!

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

4/4/2016 10:43 PM

THere is really no advantage at all to having a railed seat, they where just an old design before pivotal was introduced. Stiffer is probably correct but stiffness of the seat won't effect ride quality. Having a railed setup will only add weight and have the possibility of it snapping. I would avoid it but thats just me. I run the dugan pedals at the moment and hey work but have worn down fairly quickly, not complaining though they are cheap and do the job. I agtee with getting more longnecks they are always good and last forever. Only othe grip I would suggest is the Cult x Vans, comfy as fuck just a bit slipperey when sweaty

|

4/4/2016 10:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2016 2:55 AM

Railed seats are less stiff because the rails and seat flex. The only benefit is they look cool really. They're heavier, and you can bend/snap the rails. But they do have a really nice retro kind of look to them.

I do a lot of pedal grinds and would definitely recommend going plastic if you plan on doing a lot, or plan on using them on anything other than metal ledges. Metal slides better on metal, but doesn't slide at all on anything else (unless it's extremely smooth, very waxed, and you've taken the pins out of the grinding side). I usually get whatever pedals are on sale, and I've worn down to the bearing in one ride before. It's just something you have to live with if you want to do them a lot.

|

4/5/2016 2:43 AM

Railed seats are a plague , only ride one if you want to be different or want your bike to look stock as fuck . You don't sit on a BMX bike much anyways , who cares . More bolts and shit you need to mess with .

Grandstand pedals are decent , I've slipped a fair bit though . They feel nice but aren't insanely grippy , I hopped over the high part of a tilted over traffic cone ( the long skinny ones ) and my foot slipped off and looped out from it and I almost smoked my head on the ground lol . My Fit Mac pedals never gave me any issues and are almost just as wide !

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/5/2016 10:46 AM

i don't miss railed seats at all. unnecessary hassle

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

4/5/2016 11:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/5/2016 11:29 AM

"There is really no advantage at all to having a railed seat, they where just an old design before pivotal was introduced."

I only agree with this when it comes to BMX. Although back in the day you could slide the seat back in the rails to add a little space between your knees and bars for barspins, and there was more fine tuning of angles/seat position. Now it is height and angle. Back then you had height, angle, forward and backward in relation to the post.

When it comes to Road bikes and sometimes MTB, it is a HUGE necessity for proper fitting of a bike to its rider.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/5/2016 11:49 AM

I didn't like riding railed seats. A bitch to adjust. They look pretty cool especially on a trail bike. I will always prefer pivotal seats. You'd be less likely to snap a railed seat on whips though.

Grandstands kinda sucked imo. The wide pedal is cool but the grip is mediocre and the left pedal came loose and won't stay tight (the pedal body) no matter how much I tighten it. Kinda wasted 20 bucks and just went back to my deluxe pedals.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

4/5/2016 12:33 PM

Why's everyone think I'm talking about the PC Pedals? I meant the metal Grand Stands dammit! Haha

Also. So I guess railed may as well be a no go?

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

4/5/2016 12:42 PM

James_Letten17 wrote:

Why's everyone think I'm talking about the PC Pedals? I meant the metal Grand Stands dammit! Haha

Also. So I guess railed may ...more

No one rides metal Grandstands and based off the plastic experience I wouldn't buy them again or the metal ones

|

My Cult 2 Short

4/5/2016 1:03 PM

try the metal ones and let us know how they are! i love my metal trailmixes

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

4/28/2016 9:30 PM

*Thread bumpdate*
Aluminum Grandstand Pedals finally arrived via special order to my shop, would have been in way sooner but QBP did a miss-ship (Sent a fraction of the order while the rest wasn't and was still waiting to ship out. Anyway, going to be installing them tomorrow, will give first impressions tomorrow as well or day after, I'll be putting them to the test at Lumberyard Indoor Bike Park this Sunday

As for others, I got a new frame today as well, also being installed tomorrow too, it is a 20.6 Matte Grey BSD Soulja. Also I am going to buy a set of 2.4 Grey Tread BSD Donnasqueak Tires

STAY TUNED

Photo

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

4/28/2016 10:33 PM

Fly Ruben graphites are great, but the grippiest I've used are a pair of rebranded wellcos of a diamondback. Followed by some shadows, tenderizers, and the animal(even though the bearings would scream when they went out)

|

4/28/2016 11:09 PM

Ya I saw you comment about the frame , BSD came here but I heard Dan was kinda a cunt but who knows , I argued with some kids with him on Instagram and he seemed pretty savage lol , dude is mad insane on a bike though. Half my new bike is BSD , they're quality

|

My Cult 2 Short

4/29/2016 1:51 PM

*BUMPDATE 2* (First impression on pedals)

Got the frame installed and the pedals as well, I must say that FUCKING SHIT THESE GRIP GOOD

These pedals feel absolutely perfect out of the box and onto my bike

My last pair of metals were Unsealed White Primo Tenderizers and these Grandstand Alloys feel sooo much better in comparison

Will give further exp's later down the road... This is all for now!

Photo

|

My Youtube / RainBMX