Rant thread

Related:
Create New Tag

10/21/2020 1:35 AM

Great! The year I start BMX is a La Niña year and it’s raining all the time.

Anyone else got any rants to share?

|

10/21/2020 1:43 AM

Isn’t that just Tassie...?

Small children riding the flat bottom of the deep end and their parents encouraging them to drop their trike scooters in while you’re taking a run would be mine

|

10/21/2020 4:11 AM

Smokers. F'n hate the smell.

|

Husky Nation Member

10/21/2020 4:35 AM

We got 7 inches of snow yesterday. It was 80 degrees less than two weeks ago.

Minnesota weather is stupid.

Guess my BMX is parked for the winter. Nearest indoor spot is 2 hours away, and can have a max of 30 people I heard-bike nights are always 50+ riders. So that's out.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/21/2020 6:42 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Guess my BMX is ...more

That kind of puts Tassie weather in perspective. Hope it gets better there soon man.

|

10/21/2020 7:38 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Guess my BMX is ...more

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

That kind of puts Tassie weather in perspective. Hope it gets better there soon man.

It is what it is, that 80 degrees (F) was a bit odd too-super warm for October. Usually snow waits until around early-mid November. I'm sure I will be able to dig my bike out on occasion and hit a parking garage or something once in a while. I need to build a kicker and a grind box or something that fit in the wife's van so I can have stuff to ride.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/21/2020 8:37 AM

Rant BMX over Subrosa BMX any day of the week wink

|

10/21/2020 9:40 AM

Getting dark to early, and so much rain, unsure roll on the spring.smile

|

10/21/2020 10:30 AM

I gave up BMX for 25 years, and it is now far more physically demanding for me than it used to be. I want my youth back.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/21/2020 12:42 PM

Broke my ankle doing a tbog the day I got my new wheelset in and 2 weeks after my new frame forks and bars

|

smile

10/21/2020 5:57 PM

Just got a Rant stem and its as solid as any stem I've ever owned yet its 50% cheaper. BMX is a racket

|

10/22/2020 2:08 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Just got a Rant stem and its as solid as any stem I've ever owned yet its 50% cheaper. BMX is a racket

Try MTB. Everything’s at least double what it costs in BMX.

|

10/22/2020 2:12 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

Or a road bike, My other half just got a new one,
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Colnago/C64-Art-Decor-Road-Frameset-Sloping-Geometry/I64S?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&glCountry=GB&id=847772&ds_eid=700000001845766&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=UK_EN_Profit_Google_Shopping_All+Users_Brand_Bikes%26Frames_Desktop&ds_cid=71700000047514195&ds_ag=B_A_847756_Colnago_C64+Art+Decor+Road+Frameset+(Sloping+Geometry)_Frameset+Mens+Road_4499+GBP&ds_agid=58700004770915473&ds_k=PRODUCT_GROUP&ds_kid=92700040713874023&ds_kids=p40713874023&gclsrc=ds

|

10/22/2020 2:58 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

Holy sheeeiiiit!

|

10/22/2020 10:02 PM

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Broke my ankle doing a tbog the day I got my new wheelset in and 2 weeks after my new frame forks and bars

Feel your pain dude! I broke my ankle this time last year, first day on a new frame.

|

10/23/2020 4:29 AM

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/23/2020 5:07 AM

Del wrote:

Or a road bike, My other half just got a new one,
...more

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Holy sheeeiiiit!

dave lawrence wrote:

Tip of the iceburg-5K is pretty reasonable for a very solid road bike.

This one is $14,500 USD.

We get off easy.

If I'm paying that much for anything, it's either going to have a basement, or air conditioning and cruise control..

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

10/23/2020 5:58 AM

Sum FatOld Dude wrote:

Holy sheeeiiiit!

dave lawrence wrote:

Tip of the iceburg-5K is pretty reasonable for a very solid road bike.

This one is $14,500 USD.

We get off easy.

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

If I'm paying that much for anything, it's either going to have a basement, or air conditioning and cruise control..

A basement for 14,500? WHERE? I drastically overpaid for my house hahhaa.

Ultimately, I agree. BOTH of my vehicles together were cheaper than that bike. That is why you get a part time gig at a bike shop when you want spendy toys. That bike is one of 300, which likely plays into the cost-there are less limited numbers of a different setup (same model) for a few grand less.

If I had something like that, I would spend most of my free, waking hours riding.

There is a somewhat local guy selling a 4 door 57 bel air that runs and drives and is in decent shape for less than that.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/23/2020 5:58 AM

rant - now more than ever, go support your local bike shop dammit. stop going to mail order all the time. you know why your local shop doesn't have more bmx? because you keep buying from a mail order.

|

It’s all bmx

10/23/2020 6:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/23/2020 6:09 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

rant - now more than ever, go support your local bike shop dammit. stop going to mail order all the time. you know why your ...more

100% this.

Worked in a shop that had a small selection. Over my time there, we became the biggest BMX shop in the area. After I left, dwindled down again.

Support YOUR local scene. Complaining that shops don't have it is silly, they won't stock what doesn't sell, but nearly every shop can get BMX stuff. (Went to Frostbike one year, the guy who ran a shop was giving shit advice suggesting they only stock ONE type of each component-what the owner likes-rather than a small variety for various needs-he ran a high end boutique style shop with only custom road bikes)

AGAIN, THEY WILL NOT STOCK WHAT DOES NOT SELL. You go buy through them (they order and you pick up unless it happens to be in stock or they drop ship to your door-some will do that) then they will see a pattern of BMX stuff selling, and start asking what they should stock-tell them REALISTICALLY what would sell-not just "get all these frames, forks, cranks and wheels" etc listing off all the stuff you would rarely need to buy. Pegs, grips, pedals and chains don't take up a ton of space-maybe a couple sets of bars and cranks. A fork or two. If locals all run the same tires, tell them to stock a variety of colors of them. They could put it all in one corner-near the complete bikes. Easy to upsell grips when a person buys a new bike "Those green grips totally match the stickers on the frame!"

Help them cater to your scene better, and it will benefit everyone locally. Hell, get a job there, tell locals to pop by when you get new stuff, post on your own social media if the shop is cool with it, and it will help everyone out.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/23/2020 7:05 AM

Where do i start?

1. Scottish weather, especially now as we draw ever closer to winter. No indoor parks within a reasonable drive. Daylight savings can do one.

2. My locals skatepark association. The Committee that pays for the liability insurance and is in charge of the money and maintenance seem to have lost all interest in keeping a public park maintained they control and the floodlights on. Despite mine and a few other locals attempts to engage with them and having plenty of ideas and avenues for putting some dosh together they just couldn't seem to care less.
I give my local 5 years tops before its forced to shut due to being allowed to fall in to disrepair or some kid royally hurts himself due to the damage, the parents see pound signs and go after the association as they hold the liability for it.
All because none of the committee are interested anymore and wont pass the reigns on to those who are. Frustrating doesn’t even come close.
I’d pay to have the repair work done out of my pocket while the damage is still minor and easily sorted, but the association simply ain't interested.

The real losers in this scenario will be the tonnes of kids who use this place and will then have to travel 20 miles to their nearest skatepark.

|

10/23/2020 9:26 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

rant - now more than ever, go support your local bike shop dammit. stop going to mail order all the time. you know why your ...more

My local bike shops blow. Albes offers way better customer service and selection. I will stick with them. I grew up in Rockville MD home of one of the greatest bike shops, Rockville BMX. San Diego, where I live, doesn't even have a bmx shop anymore now that East County BMX closed...

|

10/23/2020 9:50 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

The problem with this is that it doesn’t work everywhere. Here in Kansas City, things are VERY spread out. This isn’t the kind of place where someone could get by without a vehicle if they needed to. To put things into perspective, I am on the south side of the metro area, and our airport is on the north side. It is about an hour drive (on the interstate) for me to get to the airport from my house.

The few bike shops that we still have around this city are located a minimum of a 30 minute drive from my house, and the ones that are that close don’t do anything BMX. I was in the nearest one a couple of months ago, and the guys there told me that they only had 3 complete bikes (all road bikes) for sale in the store. The other 2 dozen or so bikes were there for repairs. They sold Shimano brakes, a few helmets, and a couple of other small parts, but nothing specific to BMX at all. And... they are among the biggest name bike shops in the city.

The one shop I am aware of that is BMX focused, is in a part of town that I simply won’t go to because of the traffic, uninsured drivers, distance (about 45 minutes away), and crime.

For as much as I’d love to have a friendly neighborhood brick and mortar BMX shop within 15 minutes or so if home, that simply isn’t going to happen because they wouldn’t make enough money to stay afloat in my neck of the woods. People from my area won’t support the shops further away because they don’t want to drive to them. Ordering online is the best option for people where I’m at.

|

10/23/2020 7:55 PM

I wouldn’t ride their stuff, just save up more money and get Subrosa or Shadow

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

10/30/2020 6:47 PM

My rant: being too poor to afford to build the bike I actually want to build. Feels bad man.

|

11/2/2020 4:50 AM

To everyone stating "my local doesn't do BMX" it is because NO ONE BUYS IT FROM THEM. You cannot expect a small shop to stock everything BMX if NOTHING BMX sells.

One guy mentioned a local one closed-PROBABLY BECAUSE YOU AND ALL THE OTHER LOCALS WENT ONLINE.

As to the "they only had 3 bikes for sale" Covid helped the cycling scene SO MUCH-bikes were legit out of stock at most places-even department stores-supply did not meet the surprise demand this year-you cannot fault them for suppliers being tapped out.

But again, SHOPS DO NOT STOCK STUFF THAT DOESN'T SELL. If they sell 900 comfort bikes and three BMX bikes a year, they aren't stocking much BMX. It is that simple.

But everyone complains "They don't have anything bmx blah blah blah" BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW PEOPLE WANT BMX BECAUSE BMX KIDS THINK DAN'S ETC IS WHERE IT'S AT.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you guys are pointing the finger at the shops blaming them for not carrying stuff, when it is YOU WHO ARE AT FAULT BECAUSE YOU DON'T BUY THROUGH THEM. If they saw BMX stuff selling, they would stock more of it. I know this firsthand as I SAW IT TAKE PLACE at the shop I worked at. We had a handful of stuff. I told kids what we had when they said they needed stuff, they started coming in. Freestyle and race stuff started selling really well. We became THE bmx shop in the area. I stopped working there, and the BMX kids stopped going in as often.

Buy stuff from them/through them, suddenly you would have a BMX SHOP right by you.

When it comes to driving: I live about 25ish miles/45 minute drive (traffic) from my local shop. When I need stuff, I DRIVE TO IT OR CALL THEM TO SEE WHAT THEY HAVE, ORDER OVER THE PHONE IF NEEDED, and pick it up when it gets there. When I lived in a small country town with no shop, I DROVE TO OTHER CITIES THAT HAD SHOPS IF I COULD-the best one was about 30 miles away, and the guy was rad. Even when he didn't have much BMX in stock, we would ORDER IT IN. He closed for a while when his son died, but reopened the shop with a coffee shop on the side and is doing really well.

As far as the "it's in a bad area/crime/uninsured drivers-they don't stay in one little spot-I would be willing to bet that even in your area, nearly half the drivers don't have insurance. A lady I talked to the other day had a guy legit drive THROUGH HER HOUSE IN REVERSE about a month ago. No insurance and he was drunk. They live in the REALLY nice neighborhood with 5000 SQ foot houses where money is FLAUNTED. HE LIVED IN THAT NEIGHBORHOOD TOO.

Do whatever you want, but don't sit here complaining your local doesn't have BMX when it is pretty clear NONE OF YOU GO THERE AND SHOW THEM A NEED TO STOCK BMX STUFF.

ONE LAST TIME: YOU WANT YOUR LOCAL TO STOCK BMX STUFF, BUY STUFF FROM THEM SO THEY SEE THAT IT MIGHT ACTUALLY SELL. SHOW THEM WHAT IS POPULAR, HELP THEM BECOME THE BMX SHOP YOU ARE ALL STATING YOU DON'T HAVE.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/2/2020 7:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/2/2020 7:42 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

To everyone stating "my local doesn't do BMX" it is because NO ONE BUYS IT FROM THEM. You cannot expect a small shop to stock ...more

The problem with this giant rant is that no one is actually complaining about their local shops. They don't care. Because they're just going to buy online. You shouldn't have to inconvenience yourself and spend more money just for the chance that your local shop will start stocking more BMX parts, which probably won't happen unless you're able to get a lot of other riders buying from them as well. You're shouting at people to care about something that they just aren't going to care about.

Local shops are just something that mid-20s and older riders jerk off to so they feel superior. It's 2020 and the internet has won.

|

11/2/2020 11:16 AM

We have a dickhead as our prime minister.

|

11/2/2020 11:20 AM

Del wrote:

Corbyn would have been a supreme Dickhead

|

Husky Nation Member

11/2/2020 11:23 AM

Del wrote:

baglagrupie wrote:

Corbyn would have been a supreme Dickhead

Spot on with that. Think we are all fuked.🤣

|