Raw ATF

Related:
Create New Tag

7/21/2018 6:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2018 8:07 PM

S&M ATF 20.5” and a S&M Pitchfork XLT. Spent more hours than I’d like to admit cleaning this up. Really raw, nothing but a coat of oil protecting it.

Photo

Photo

|

7/21/2018 6:32 PM

Cool man! Its good to have ya back on the site! Haven't seen ya for awhile!

Turned out great though dude!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/21/2018 8:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2018 8:13 PM

Thanks, Racer. Been around, just watching and eating popcorn.

|

7/21/2018 8:28 PM

Furyus George wrote:

Thanks, Racer. Been around, just watching and eating popcorn.

Hahaha!laughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/22/2018 2:18 AM

I rawed my old xlt's, I really like the dull raw they have.

|

7/22/2018 2:33 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I rawed my old xlt's, I really like the dull raw they have.

Dull raw with gloss clear is beautiful. Matte clear isn’t bad but it’s the little shine the gloss pulls out that stands out. Normally I like black or dark blue but that style raw is nice

|

7/22/2018 5:43 AM

has anyone ever tried using Ren Wax on these raw frames? I know its popular with knife collectors and stuff, just wondering if any here has experience coating their frame with it here...

|

7/22/2018 9:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/22/2018 9:38 AM

bigmac53 wrote:

has anyone ever tried using Ren Wax on these raw frames? I know its popular with knife collectors and stuff, just wondering if ...more

Haven't used Ren Wax myself. Using Gibbs Lubricant on mine. Dries after a day or so and doesn't leave an oily or slippery residue behind. Stuff is awesome, even repels dust for several months. Repeated applications deepen natural colors, too. Applied with paper towel per instructions. Love the stuff.

|

7/23/2018 8:39 AM

How would you raw for best results? The uk has piss weak paint remover/stripper. I thought about doing this and getting a clear powdercoat.

Looks bad ass, great job

|

If you build it, they will come

7/23/2018 5:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/23/2018 5:56 PM

LS1982 wrote:

How would you raw for best results? The uk has piss weak paint remover/stripper. I thought about doing this and getting a ...more

Thanks, man.

I used a stripper that was available at the local auto parts store, nothing special or expensive. Bought a small nylon brush and applied the stripper by hand in small sections. Once it started working I’d hit it with a plastic razor blade to get the clear coat off. Once I had about 99.9% of the clear coat removed, I used a rust dissolver on all the corrosion, again, small sections at a time. After the rust was gone I’d wipe down the cleaned section with the above mentioned Gibbs lubricant. I’ve repeatedly used the Gibbs on the frame, so it has layers of the lubricant on it. I’ll continue to do so periodically after the bike is finished as well. The stuff sinks in and brings a nice color to the metal. Only place I’ve ever found it is on eBay, so it may be available to you across the pond. If you do find some, follow the directions - they work.

Literally have 25 hours or more getting this frame to look how I wanted. Enjoyed it all, though; very therapeutic to get lost in a project.

My goal was to get rid of the failed clear coat and all the corrosion, but keep the character of the used frame. I didn’t desire nor did I attempt to make it look brand new. There are still tiny fragments of clear and specs of rust on the frame, and the used fork hs it’s own personality with scratches, grinds and dings. I’m hoping the finished project resembles an industrial tool of sorts, if that makes any sense.

|