Raw rims and brakes

Related:
Create New Tag

7/4/2010 12:37 PM

I've got a gray fly rim and i cannot get my pads to stick to it for shit. I've used fly and odyssey clear pads, put simple green on it, changed spring tension, lubed/greased everything, nothings helping. My next plan was to just raw the sidewalls of the rim because I honestly don't have the money for a chrome rim and the rim is still in great shape. Any idea if it'll help to raw it? Or other ideas to make the pads stick?

Setup:
Odyssey Monolever
Animal Linear Cable
Fly Brakes and hanger
Fly Zapatas Pads
Fly Rim (Gray)

|

7/4/2010 12:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2010 12:39 PM

animal cables suck

some of my buddies put pine tar on their rims

|

7/4/2010 12:40 PM

ever since you put simple green on your rim, it ruined your brakes... just sayin

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

7/4/2010 12:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2010 12:42 PM

idk anything about simple green

but the best thing to clean rims with for brake usage is rubbing alchol

|

7/4/2010 12:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/15/2016 3:23 AM

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

7/4/2010 12:59 PM

wearnikes1321: actually the animal cable is doing better than all my odyssey cables i've had. i've never heard the pine tar thing, but i'll probably try the alcohol thing before i raw it. thanks!

carjakester: i know. that's the last time bobby touches my bike. something goes wrong every time.

Anyone know of putting coke on the rims? got the idea from that mat wilhelm/dans comp edit of him mopping the floor with coke.

|

7/4/2010 1:00 PM

Kenealy wrote:

wearnikes1321: actually the animal cable is doing better than all my odyssey cables i've had. i've never heard the pine tar thing, but i'll probably try the alcohol thing before i raw it. thanks!

carjakester: i know. that's the last time bobby touches my bike. something goes wrong every time.

Anyone know of putting coke on the rims? got the idea from that mat wilhelm/dans comp edit of him mopping the floor with coke.

just clean your rim, and fix your tension

|

7/4/2010 1:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2010 1:04 PM

Kenealy wrote:

i hated my odyssey cables, and i hated my animal cables.

and yeah i know of some people who have put coke (or soda in general) on their rims

|

7/4/2010 1:05 PM

wow! i learned so much!

|

7/4/2010 1:08 PM

Kenealy wrote:

carjakester wrote:

i did, my pads won't stick. they're smooth, the pads are scuffed, and the rim is clean. it has to do with the rim.

|

7/4/2010 1:24 PM

my mate uses sticks of glue, works well

|

7/4/2010 1:49 PM

Kenealy wrote:

carjakester wrote:

this

|

-swedish fish-
MOTW 05/31/10 - 06/06/10
Refs- Brandonbrown

7/4/2010 11:21 PM

Kenealy wrote:

carjakester wrote:

NomNom wrote:

this

definitely not the problem. i've set up brakes on a lot of other peoples bikes, and all of them work amazingly, with the same exact setup as me. i can set mine up really smooth and all, BUT THE PADS WON'T GRIP THE RIM. the rim is clean, the pads are scuffed, i'm not seeing the problem.

|

7/4/2010 11:31 PM

cut alot of slits in the pads, rub them on the concrete, cut more slits if it doesnt work take them off

|

vital's redneck

7/4/2010 11:44 PM

what ive done in the past when i ran brakes,what worked the best was taking a ligther or matches and kind of heating them up and cuttin more slits in to them. then puttin em in cold water to harded them a little. worked great with my odyssey clear pads.

|

refsss- element4all,prophet,harry95,hattrckhcky,dave805,iridebmxeverday(x3),sir humps alot,spikez5(x2),bstick(x2),kevinl,ezraisabiker,RedCrayon(x2)
email- dallasnewbury@yahoo.com

MOTW 8/9/10-8/15/10

7/5/2010 12:06 AM

well, looks like i'm gonna try and cut slits in the pads. do you take rubber outta the pads, or just cut straight down with a razor or a knife? thanks!

|

7/5/2010 12:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2010 12:09 AM

Kenealy wrote:

well, looks like i'm gonna try and cut slits in the pads. do you take rubber outta the pads, or just cut straight down with a razor or a knife? thanks!

remember heat it a little. and use a slim razor. then put it in cold water. not the whol pad system just the rubber. take NO rubber out just cut teh slits.

|

refsss- element4all,prophet,harry95,hattrckhcky,dave805,iridebmxeverday(x3),sir humps alot,spikez5(x2),bstick(x2),kevinl,ezraisabiker,RedCrayon(x2)
email- dallasnewbury@yahoo.com

MOTW 8/9/10-8/15/10

7/5/2010 12:11 AM

shit i might just try the coke thing.hahaha.

|

My bicycle.
Member of the week 08/16/10 - 08/22/10

7/5/2010 12:12 AM

Kenealy wrote:

dallybiker45 wrote:

remember heat it a little. and use a slim razor. then put it in cold water. not the whol pad system just the rubber. take NO rubber out just cut teh slits.

sound like a good idea.

|

My bicycle.
Member of the week 08/16/10 - 08/22/10

7/5/2010 12:18 AM

its simple dont run brakes

|

refs:spikez-mikelee-ScramHype-CGcaps-Droogskull-Blake El Gingero-hcpmichael

7/5/2010 12:19 AM

just put some otter pop juice on your rim.
no joke i got tech tip of the month in the february bmx plus issue for sending them that.

|

7/5/2010 12:22 AM

super glue?thatll make the breaks stick.

|

b.y.o.b < b.y.o. pb&j
E-thug=E-tard