Rawing Hub, Rim, and Spokes

Related:
Create New Tag

7/11/2012 12:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2012 12:11 AM

I'm buying a Profile mini ss laced with purple spokes to a Gsport Rollcage. The hub and rim have been spray painted, if I put paint stripper on the hub will it strip away the original black color or is it anodized? The rim was originally gold so will that strip off easily? and anyone ever rawed spokes before? thanks

edit: sorry about the title lol "spomes"

|

xBMXx.

7/11/2012 12:29 AM

Paint stripper doesn't work on anodizing so if there is anodizing underneath the paint, nothing will happen to it. IDK if spokes are painted or something but when I rawed my brother's painted rim the paint stripper did not affect his black spokes at all.

|

7/11/2012 12:40 AM

brianoob wrote:

Paint stripper doesn't work on anodizing so if there is anodizing underneath the paint, nothing will happen to it. IDK if spokes are painted or something but when I rawed my brother's painted rim the paint stripper did not affect his black spokes at all.

ahhh, okay! thanks a ton.

|

xBMXx.

7/12/2012 9:56 PM

bump!

|

xBMXx.

7/12/2012 10:51 PM

i rawed the crank arms, sprocket and handle bars on my Stolen, stripper removes paint/powder coat, oven cleaner removes annodizing.

remember, steel will rust and aluminum can corrode if neither metal is protected. Even with 5 coats of clear my stuff is starting to rust a tiny little bit.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

7/12/2012 11:03 PM

Spokes are steel
Steel can't be anodized
Aluminium oxide stops further oxygen penetration, unlike iron oxide
Caustic soda doesn't remove anodizing, it removes the anodized aluminium itself (very bad idea for anything that requires precision like a hub)
Polishing is a better method

|

7/12/2012 11:16 PM

polishing aluminum is great if you want a polished look, still requires the same stripping method but you are right, don't use oven cleaner on anything that needs bearings. You can try this method:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=303218

Also, you can anodize stainless steel but not steel like the spokes.

|

7/12/2012 11:17 PM

Polishing doesn't require the same stripping method, no

|

7/12/2012 11:19 PM

Then what are you talking about?

|

7/12/2012 11:30 PM

What part are you having difficulty comprehending?

|

7/12/2012 11:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2012 11:46 PM

to polish metal you strip it, work with different types of sandpaper, after 2000 grit you hit it with a polishing compound...this gives it a mirrored finish, this isn't a "raw" look. No matter if you polish it or leave it raw you're still gonna have to seal it so it doesn't rust or corrode. Most steel with a polished look has been micropolished already, hard to get the same look without some sort of power buffer. I've polished both aluminum and steel car wheels, probably about 30 sets now.

unless you're saying to just sand the finish off and polish it...then yeah, i see what you're saying

|

7/12/2012 11:57 PM

Sandpaper is a different method to caustic soda

I think you meant to say that polishing requires stripping the ano as well

|

7/12/2012 11:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2012 11:59 PM

Sorry didn't see your edit

Now we're on the same page smile

|

7/13/2012 1:03 AM

sbc785 wrote:

i rawed the crank arms, sprocket and handle bars on my Stolen, stripper removes paint/powder coat, oven cleaner removes annodizing.

remember, steel will rust and aluminum can corrode if neither metal is protected. Even with 5 coats of clear my stuff is starting to rust a tiny little bit.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

how does that seat feel when it penetrates your ass?

|

refs- Tommyboy,mandingo215, lobo173, prophet,iridebmxeveryday,ctbmx86,1of1547,Warchol2,white knight,branBMX94,JakeSalbert

Subscribe to me on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/senika5634?feature=mhee

7/13/2012 1:51 AM

He has no grips... I hate ghetto riders with no grips.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

7/13/2012 11:00 AM

1. i don't ride that bike
2. it's a work in progress and isn't finished
3. i don't ride that bike

|