Rawing Question

Related:
Create New Tag

1/13/2014 4:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2014 4:33 PM

i just got an odyssey c-512 in metallic silver for $20
so, my question is it anodized or painted?
and how do i remove the paint or anodization?

|

1/13/2014 4:41 PM

Its anodized so you need to use oven cleaner to raw it

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

1/13/2014 5:31 PM

alright so will it look like this when im done (i want them to match)Photo

|

1/13/2014 6:11 PM

Yep it should, it might look a little different but not much

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

1/13/2014 6:48 PM

cool

does anyone have the exact procedure or pictures of something you have rawed?

|

1/13/2014 6:50 PM

The Odyssey Metallic Silver color way is powdercoated not anodized. Use a strong paint thinner.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

1/13/2014 7:20 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

The Odyssey Metallic Silver color way is powdercoated not anodized. Use a strong paint thinner.

it is ! cool
its a lot easier to remove paint than anodization
how is that aircraft paint remover stuff? i have used it on a frame before

|

1/14/2014 6:33 AM

it's just a sprocket, sand it down, i've done it like 4 times to my sprocket because i failed painting it lol

|

1/15/2014 8:24 PM

Would you be interested in an Odyssey Burlington sprocket? Og black

|

-Reps: JakeSalbert, Stephan.yupthatsme, bmxrider4lyfe, cb4130, mactive818, Broughton, Dream, Kymike(X2), Sam.cooper1291, louie101202, nshs2010, hatebreeder, justin vogelsberger, Xlilkillaluc15x, Four, Blakebmx92, Brian_Griffin, Element4all
-I have more reps from my old account.
(My old account is 'bmx')

1/15/2014 11:51 PM

The sprocket is annodised. What you want to do is spray oven cleaner over the sprocket( put sprocket is a container) make sure the sprocket has an even coating all over. Rinse it off after five minutes and repeat until rawed. Wear gloves and do in a well ventilated area.

I've done it to stems, sprockets, seat posts, clamps, rims, etc

|

I'm a punk bmxer, I can't do it well so I do it loud.

1/16/2014 6:27 PM

i get how to raw it but is it anadized or powder coated????? im getting mixed responces???

|

1/16/2014 6:39 PM

aaron.samuel.green wrote:

i get how to raw it but is it anadized or powder coated????? im getting mixed responces???

Almost positive its powdercoated.
A. I dont think you can do silver anodize?
B. Odyssey matches all their LE parts. The Thunderbolts come in the same color and CANT be anodized, so why would they anodize the sprocket and spend more money and then have the chances of them not matching?

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

1/16/2014 6:43 PM

They're definitely powder coated. Sprockets are usually anodized, but the metallic silver one is powder coated

|

1/16/2014 7:04 PM

aaron.samuel.green wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Almost positive its powdercoated.
A. I dont think you can do silver anodize?
B. Odyssey matches all their LE parts. The Thunderbolts come in the same color and CANT be anodized, so why would they anodize the sprocket and spend more money and then have the chances of them not matching?

alright, then ill use paint thinner, thanks!

|

1/16/2014 8:13 PM

To remove paint or powder coat, I think you need to use paint stripper/remover, instead of paint thinner. Also, get the supposedly stronger aircraft paint stripper; the regular paint stripper required many applications, along with scraping and sanding, in order to raw my forks.

|

1/17/2014 5:49 AM

ok i will use aircraft remover but one final question, will the paint remover do anything to the finish of the aluminum?

|

1/17/2014 12:36 PM

I don't know if paint stripper will affect the appearance of the aluminum, but don't use sandpaper or any other abrasives on the aluminum unless you want to achieve a polished or scuffed look.

|

1/17/2014 12:42 PM

hambo.abadeer wrote:

I don't know if paint stripper will affect the appearance of the aluminum, but don't use sandpaper or any other abrasives on the aluminum unless you want to achieve a polished or scuffed look.

This. Aslong as youre just using a cloth or steel wool, it should just look like bare aluminum. If you use anything really scratchy like sand paper or a file it will turn out all scratchy.

|

1/17/2014 1:14 PM

hambo.abadeer wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

This. Aslong as youre just using a cloth or steel wool, it should just look like bare aluminum. If you use anything really scratchy like sand paper or a file it will turn out all scratchy.

not really, if you want it polished, use a 120 grit sandpaper to strip the 75% of paint, then, if you don't mind spending a bit more money, get a higher grade grit sandpaper (like 240), if you don't want to spend the extra money, use the 120 grit one, but make sure it's very worn, that way it won't scratch the aluminium. i know this because i've rawed and polished my sprocket like 2 weeks ago and i could get a smooth surface using a worn 120 grit sandpaper

|