Re-welded Frames

Related:
Create New Tag

10/30/2012 6:08 PM

Alright... Well my 2010 Eastern Boss was my favorite frame I've ever run, even counting my BTM, so I was thinking about getting it re-welded with an upper and lower gusset, since it was around there where it bowed (it didn't break, but the headtube bent backwards slightly). My plan is to have that built up as my second bike, since I already have my fit with parts on it and everything, so I'd be able to throw it all together right then and there, but my question is, should I trust a re-welded frame? It won't be my main bike, since I've grown accustomed to my BTM, but I'd ride it here and there. I'd upload pictures of the frame and it's condition, but in a picture, you seriously could not tell what was wrong with it.

Input?

This is what my boss looked like before. I'd be putting Odyssey Twombolts, Original Pitchforks, MDS, Birectional laced to a hazlite, Eastern Bars, and some other scrap parts on it.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

All my edits are iPhone edits...

last member of the week ever

G-SPORT - S&M - FIT - ODYSSEY

10/30/2012 6:11 PM

the cost to have a gusset welded on would be more sensible to find another Boss frame.

|

10/30/2012 6:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2012 6:13 PM

I broke my frame and i was lucky that noting bent too bad. I had it re-welded and I was told that the new weld would be stronger than the factory one. It's beefier than the factory weld and its held up fine for the last month or so. So i say go for it if you know someone who is a good welder. You don't need a gusset welded on.

|

10/30/2012 6:14 PM

if you can get it welded for free. fuck yes.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

10/30/2012 6:15 PM

sbc785 wrote:

the cost to have a gusset welded on would be more sensible to find another Boss frame.

well, my friend's dad is a super good welder, so he'd do it for free. he welded my friend's chainstay because it cracked all the way through to hold him over for a few weeks and it held. I just wasn't sure if it would hold up for, pretty much, forever. haha also, i wanted my boss frame, because it's kinda nostalgic because i rode it so long.

|

10/30/2012 6:17 PM

BMX4Lyfee wrote:

I broke my frame and i was lucky that noting bent too bad. I had it re-welded and I was told that the new weld would be stronger than the factory one. It's beefier than the factory weld and its held up fine for the last month or so. So i say go for it if you know someone who is a good welder. You don't need a gusset welded on.

Good shit. Thank you very much. It's good to know that someone else had a welded frame and it's holding. I fell in love with that bike, so every time I see it hanging up in my basement, it makes me wanna build it up again.

|

10/30/2012 6:28 PM

BMX4Lyfee wrote:

Skooter wrote:

Good shit. Thank you very much. It's good to know that someone else had a welded frame and it's holding. I fell in love with that bike, so every time I see it hanging up in my basement, it makes me wanna build it up again.

i had mine welded for free too so it's definitely worth it

|

10/30/2012 6:30 PM

BMX4Lyfee wrote:

Skooter wrote:

BMX4Lyfee wrote:

i had mine welded for free too so it's definitely worth it

Awesome. Thanks dude.

|

10/30/2012 6:40 PM

yeah if you can get it done for free then do it, make sure you get the gussets right tho.

|

10/30/2012 6:52 PM

I think my one friend is. Wait never mind he traded some kid for a higher end complete frame, but the kid he traded is riding it.

|

Noah Farver

717-679-7588 Text me if you need me.

[LINK TO IMAGE]

10/31/2012 6:39 AM

A guy I know has a 2012 Boss frame for sale for 120 bucks.

Here it is on Craigslist

He might be willing to ship it.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/31/2012 6:41 AM

As to a welded frame, I know a couple dudes who added gussets to cracked frames and ran em for a while. If it is welded well it should be fine. You could even stop by metals shops with it and ask what it would cost, they can do an estimate pretty quickly. I imagine under 50 bucks, as it would take less than an hour to do from grinding paint (they would around the weld area) to making a gusset, to welding it, to cool to the touch.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/31/2012 11:21 AM

tt gussests honestly dont do shit as far as strength. also, if the welder doing it isnt out of a trade school making minimum wage somewhere MIG welding than you should be fine. my mom TIG welds for a living and is now QC at a multimillion dollar company. she welded my pitchforks back and they work great. the problem is these white trash basement welders only use mig welding which is just far too hot for this thin of tubing. they often forget to clean the area to be welded so they get contamination in the weld. just get a good welder and some E70s2 rod and youll be good

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdick~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

10/31/2012 12:36 PM

If the person can weld decent it should work just fine

|

REFS: Drnwag irideafly sunday.bmx21 8=D xlilkillaluc15x Dennis916 Blake El Gingero mattjmuldoon@hotmail.com netty speghetti kr00253 bstick Dudeisdrumer109

pcoco ticaleb

10/31/2012 3:01 PM

Why not it's still would be better than a cracked frame sitting in the basement
My friend just cracked his Fly frame and is going to re weld it

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

10/31/2012 7:43 PM

future FBM wrote:

tt gussests honestly dont do shit as far as strength. also, if the welder doing it isnt out of a trade school making minimum wage somewhere MIG welding than you should be fine. my mom TIG welds for a living and is now QC at a multimillion dollar company. she welded my pitchforks back and they work great. the problem is these white trash basement welders only use mig welding which is just far too hot for this thin of tubing. they often forget to clean the area to be welded so they get contamination in the weld. just get a good welder and some E70s2 rod and youll be good

My friend's dad is an amazing welder. he built the swat truck for hamburg and welded the chassis and the entire body. he's a boss and people around here know him for his welding. He tried to teach me, but i suck.

|

10/31/2012 7:49 PM

Skooter wrote:

My friend's dad is an amazing welder. he built the swat truck for hamburg and welded the chassis and the entire body. he's a boss and people around here know him for his welding. He tried to teach me, but i suck.

Thats pretty fucking dope =D I think my dad knows how to weld but not as good as other people i guess. They'res like different types of welds for different metals and all O_o

|

5/6/2016 2:28 PM

I just brought a new bmx online from eBay and the guy didn't say the frame was cracked and I didn't notice until one of my friends pointed it out, it's cracked near the seat tube and I'm keeping the bike I'm hopefully gonna get it welded, on of my friends said there's no point but i think it's last

|

5/6/2016 3:19 PM

If it's badly done the frame will be a write off. It will be a waste of time unless whoever does it knows exactly what they're doing.

|

5/6/2016 4:07 PM

Bmx_Biscuit wrote:

I just brought a new bmx online from eBay and the guy didn't say the frame was cracked and I didn't notice until one of my friends pointed it out, it's cracked near the seat tube and I'm keeping the bike I'm hopefully gonna get it welded, on of my friends said there's no point but i think it's last

check the fuckin thread dates

|

5/6/2016 7:53 PM

Bmx_Biscuit wrote:

420bongblazer wrote:

This

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/7/2016 5:27 PM

Bmx_Biscuit wrote:

420bongblazer wrote:

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

This

lol it was his first and only post

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "