Realistic goals for me?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2013 8:47 PM

What are some realistic goals for my riding progression? I'm very novice. I would like to set some goals for the end of September. I go to a concrete park 3-5 times a week and practice in an empty parking lot (manuals and 180s).

Would you say these goals are realistic?

Flat :180s, decent length manuals, hop manuals on small platforms.

Jump : 360s, Turndowns, airing quarters, jumping spines, generally being able to flow decently.

How long did it take you guys to learn that sort of stuff? They seem reasonable but then again I don't really know how fast someone should progress.

|

8/18/2013 8:50 PM

Nope. 180's take forever. If you can't air, its gonna take a while to turndown

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

8/18/2013 8:51 PM

You should work on tricks like no footers or foot and hand combination tricks and stuff like x ups

|

8/18/2013 8:54 PM

these are all tricks i leaned first, so yes i do believe these are a good tricks to start out with

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

8/18/2013 8:59 PM

180s aren't super hard. once you get the technique you get em quick. 360s are hard, and i have no idea about airing quarters and spines. never ridden a skate park. all i really do is jump roofs and gaps

|

This week's Sweet Shoutout goes to: biggybuggy!

8/18/2013 9:04 PM

Im all about goals. It is part of the reason i progress quickly. I have always set goals for myself. I would go into it all, but im trying not to leave a wall of text for people haha. One week say, "imma manual fourteen parking spaces!" , once you accomplish that, move onto another trick! Say i wanna 180 over something or do something like that. Use my flawless thing. First, land and learn the trick. DO it 3 times in a row, then do it 6 times in a row, then do it 10 times in a row, then it is dialed! haha i did it with all tricks and it is great, do that.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

8/18/2013 9:11 PM

SickDude wrote:

I've almost got 180's down. I don't want to do turndowns on a vert, more like out of a flyout or a box jump/bank.

@MaximusBikes --- Yeah I think goals give me something to work towards and focus on. Though i'm sure I look weird trying the same trick 300 times when i'm at the park. Lucky for me there's hardly ever anyone there when I go. I have a similar system where I tell myself okay land it 5 more times and we're done. Or okay I just want to manual 6 parking spaces and then i'm done for the night. It tends to help.

My biggest issue is commitment and I always ride alone. Having someone to ride with usually pushes me more but that will come when I get better.

|

8/18/2013 9:12 PM

Turndowns are hard as fuck. Ive been trying em for years and still don't have em. take them off that list

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

8/18/2013 9:15 PM

I find it better to go to a park. Flow around at first. Do a bunch of stuff your comfortable with and get good and warmed up. Then look at your obstacles and see of there is a trick you'd like to try off one. Try it a few times, take the falls/land it, then come back another day and do it again. Then repeat.

|

I seek progression, not perfection.

Refs:Beastassdickwink~Dk/oldschool908~TheLilozzy~jaypee23~Bstick~agfracing~MoyBoy5~RIDE a BIKE~wade5~Mattmuldoon@hotmail.com x2~jakebikes~ joe loves shadow~ diss diqq~ k1ng~fly for life x2~spikez5~four~jb07~mike duda~ DORbmx~ bobPA~superstarDK

8/18/2013 9:22 PM

Turndowns took me years to learn........not an easy one......180s are easy and on e you get those 360s come pretty quick......if you can 360 tire tap you should try 540 tire taps on a bank, they're fun and no danger if you crash

|

8/18/2013 9:41 PM

180s are the hardest trick ever for me comes different to different people i learned mauals almost nose pivot 180s and started trying throwing bars before i got 180s down

|

8/18/2013 10:45 PM

SickDude wrote:

Nigga, I learned 180s out of flyouts first shot. 180s flat in a week.
As a matter of fact, y'all need to realize that shit isn't that hard

|

Put in work.
Put in work.
Put in work.
Flacko put 'em in the dirt.

8/19/2013 12:38 AM

Took me a year to get flat 180s. I get them consistently now but on flyout I get them 1/5 times haha.

|

8/19/2013 2:51 AM

double cashroll...

|

Bruh

8/19/2013 8:43 AM

honestly you can learn a number of these in a day a piece if you push yourself, 360's are not difficult at all in my opinion same goes for 180's and airing.
both airs and spines are just confidence, airing takes lots of people far longer than it should just because they cant commit, you have to go far faster than you feel comfortable for both and that honestly is the key to it.
turndowns again if you are willing to push hard you can get them 180 clicked very quickly indeed, developing a style and getting them to 270 is the harder part.
the manuals are going to be the most time consuming by far as they take a long time to perfect by their very nature, dont spend sessions just trying them rather just do them when rolling around town, to the park ect and you will pick them up.
other tricks that are pretty easy to learn and are fun to do are can's and nac's, both are easy but look pretty cool to do and in variations ( 360 nac seatgrabs are the bomb)

|

8/19/2013 9:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/19/2013 9:15 AM

@futon, I think a lot I those goals are very reasonable. As a beginner bmx rider myself I have a couple tips Or things that are helping me progress pretty rapidly.

Don't slack on hops. They become more and more important as you get better at riding. Like learn to j hop up a four before you start jumping down them.

Air outs are scary as fuck before and during your very first time. After you get one its like money and kind of addictive.

If you have a spine that is in a bowl and has like a hip section where the spine coping "Y's" out it's easier to learn them because it is safer and more forgiving to case it.

I started riding when ever my join date was here and I am old man status (24) so there is no reason you can't Learn those tricks in a month. ( I mean turndowns are hard as fuck, I can't do em still)

and final piece of advice is ride every day! I try ride every day and always push myself. And when things are scary throw on the helmet and get some confidence!

|

8/19/2013 9:25 AM

Just have fun, progression will come naturally

|

fack off

8/19/2013 9:30 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I think i'm gonna work on airing a hip today.

One question about manuals. I see people hop out of a bowl or quarter and go into a manual. Do you hop into that manual like air a little then put the manual down like you would a hop manual or do they just roll into it?

|

8/19/2013 6:19 PM

Well I had a lot of fun today. Only problem is it's too damn hot!

I finally rolled out of some 180 to fakies today and I'm really close to landing 360s. Pretty excited for another round tomorrow.

|

8/19/2013 6:49 PM

well as a futon you should probably work more towards being a couch. or maybe a loveseat.

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

8/29/2013 8:15 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

double cashroll...

|

8/29/2013 8:18 AM

tow words WALL RIDE

|

8/29/2013 12:23 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

Just have fun, progression will come naturally

i agree , stop rushing on progression. go to you friends chill out. my friends bet that i couldn't hop over a grind box. i did it for the first time because i didn't want to lose money. see , progression. The same with other tricks. i make 180's at a quarter every time but i can't do them on flat , and i'm not too worried about that.

|

8/29/2013 2:21 PM

Sounds good to me.
Just watch out for spines, they can be quite mean to you if you mess up...

|

"Are they punkin' me Tio, are they punkin' me?"

8/29/2013 2:47 PM

Flat 180's are easy. My first trick was a tire grab , then I moved on to tuck no handers

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/29/2013 7:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/29/2013 7:23 PM

you just gotta practice and stuff comes. tricks usually aren't learned overnight.180s and stuff are pretty hard for me. important thing is to have fun

|