Rear Cassette Hub Axle Bearing

Related:
Create New Tag

7/20/2013 9:21 PM

I recently took apart my cassette hub to inspect it because I believe I broke something. Low and behold, upon taking out the axle I discovered that the bearing on the drive side was broken. I have stripped the axle down to what I have in the photo but I have run into a problem. The blue arrow points to the inner race of the bearing which needs to be removed. The red arrow points to a nut that I need to remove in order to take whats left of the bearing out. The nut is being a complete bitch to remove because I cant get a good grip on the axle. Any ideas?
Photo

|

7/21/2013 6:15 PM

Anybody?

|

7/21/2013 7:25 PM

Look at the revised pic below. Here's how you do it:

1) Take the yellow nut off and put it on the right side in the direction of the purple arrow.

2) Tighten it down as hard as you can without stripping the threads.

3) Now, grab two wrenches. Back the green nut into the yellow nut while keeping the yellow nut still with the second wrench.

4) Put one wrench on the green nut and the other on the red nut.

5) Back the red nut off.

NOTE: Locking nuts as in step 3 CAN strip the threads of either the axle, nut, or both. Be careful and only back them into each other enough to lock them up so they don't move in step 5.

Photo

|

7/21/2013 7:42 PM

Thanks, it worked! I was trying the double nut method but it wasn't working because I put them on the same way. I appreciate the help man!

|

7/21/2013 8:01 PM

No problem!

|