Rear Hub to Frame problems

Related:
Create New Tag

6/3/2018 3:45 PM

So I just got my Animal Javelin rear hub with Merritt rear guard. Tried to put it on my kink Titan II frame and no el fit-o. Tried it with the guard off and still not working. My question is this. The Animal Javelin comes with 2 lock nuts on the drive side. Would it make a huge difference if I took one of them off to make it fit?

|

6/3/2018 3:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2018 3:53 PM

You need those lock nuts, DO NOT take them off...

A picture would really help..

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

6/3/2018 3:58 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

You need those lock nuts, DO NOT take them off...

A picture would really help..

Oh noooo. Not both of them. It's just the one. Photo

|

6/3/2018 4:02 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

You need those lock nuts, DO NOT take them off...

A picture would really help..

WiteMic wrote:

Oh noooo. Not both of them. It's just the one. Photo

You need both of them. One holds the other in place and prevents it from backing off.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/3/2018 4:04 PM

How much space do you need?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/3/2018 4:06 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

You need those lock nuts, DO NOT take them off...

A picture would really help..

WiteMic wrote:

Oh noooo. Not both of them. It's just the one. Photo

p1p1092 wrote:

You need both of them. One holds the other in place and prevents it from backing off.

Looks like I'm getting a new frame. LOL

|

6/3/2018 4:07 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

How much space do you need?

ALOT. Like I can't even stretch the frame to get it in there. The Animal hub a bigger than normal.

|

6/3/2018 4:53 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

How much space do you need?

WiteMic wrote:

ALOT. Like I can't even stretch the frame to get it in there. The Animal hub a bigger than normal.

It should be 110mm cone to cone. Any chance you could get some pictures of how much space you need? All else failing, you could take that outer cone-nut off but the inner one will loosen off over time without it.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/3/2018 4:57 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

How much space do you need?

WiteMic wrote:

ALOT. Like I can't even stretch the frame to get it in there. The Animal hub a bigger than normal.

p1p1092 wrote:

It should be 110mm cone to cone. Any chance you could get some pictures of how much space you need? All else failing, you could take that outer cone-nut off but the inner one will loosen off over time without it.

Nah. The Animal Javelin i think is 113 or 112. I can't get a pic right now. At work. But I have the outer one off right now. Did a couple crank flips. No issues... yet. I'm expecting the worse though. I've been wanting a new frame anyway though.

|

6/3/2018 5:02 PM

WiteMic wrote:

ALOT. Like I can't even stretch the frame to get it in there. The Animal hub a bigger than normal.

p1p1092 wrote:

It should be 110mm cone to cone. Any chance you could get some pictures of how much space you need? All else failing, you could take that outer cone-nut off but the inner one will loosen off over time without it.

WiteMic wrote:

Nah. The Animal Javelin i think is 113 or 112. I can't get a pic right now. At work. But I have the outer one off right now. Did a couple crank flips. No issues... yet. I'm expecting the worse though. I've been wanting a new frame anyway though.

110m is what all frames are typically built for. If you did get a new frame, you'd still have this problem. Have you access to a machine shop? You could face that 2-3mm off in a lathe and sort all of your problems at once. It is most likely hardened steel but good carbide tooling should deal with it just fine.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/3/2018 5:05 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

It should be 110mm cone to cone. Any chance you could get some pictures of how much space you need? All else failing, you could take that outer cone-nut off but the inner one will loosen off over time without it.

WiteMic wrote:

Nah. The Animal Javelin i think is 113 or 112. I can't get a pic right now. At work. But I have the outer one off right now. Did a couple crank flips. No issues... yet. I'm expecting the worse though. I've been wanting a new frame anyway though.

p1p1092 wrote:

110m is what all frames are typically built for. If you did get a new frame, you'd still have this problem. Have you access to a machine shop? You could face that 2-3mm off in a lathe and sort all of your problems at once. It is most likely hardened steel but good carbide tooling should deal with it just fine.

Nope. No machine shops where i'm at in New Orleans. It's just weird because I had this same hub for my skavenger tunnel frame years ago and never had this problem. It's weird as hell.

|

6/3/2018 5:15 PM

WiteMic wrote:

Nah. The Animal Javelin i think is 113 or 112. I can't get a pic right now. At work. But I have the outer one off right now. Did a couple crank flips. No issues... yet. I'm expecting the worse though. I've been wanting a new frame anyway though.

p1p1092 wrote:

110m is what all frames are typically built for. If you did get a new frame, you'd still have this problem. Have you access to a machine shop? You could face that 2-3mm off in a lathe and sort all of your problems at once. It is most likely hardened steel but good carbide tooling should deal with it just fine.

WiteMic wrote:

Nope. No machine shops where i'm at in New Orleans. It's just weird because I had this same hub for my skavenger tunnel frame years ago and never had this problem. It's weird as hell.

Surely there's a machine shop somewhere near you, that you could pay to do it? It's a very simple operation that shouldn't take too much time. You could do it with a file or a bench grinder too but it will be hard to keep the face square to the rest of the part.

Have you contacted Animal to see if they can do anything about it?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

6/3/2018 5:42 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

110m is what all frames are typically built for. If you did get a new frame, you'd still have this problem. Have you access to a machine shop? You could face that 2-3mm off in a lathe and sort all of your problems at once. It is most likely hardened steel but good carbide tooling should deal with it just fine.

WiteMic wrote:

Nope. No machine shops where i'm at in New Orleans. It's just weird because I had this same hub for my skavenger tunnel frame years ago and never had this problem. It's weird as hell.

p1p1092 wrote:

Surely there's a machine shop somewhere near you, that you could pay to do it? It's a very simple operation that shouldn't take too much time. You could do it with a file or a bench grinder too but it will be hard to keep the face square to the rest of the part.

Have you contacted Animal to see if they can do anything about it?

Deadass my guy. Nothing around here just googled it. I'd have to go hours away in order to do that. Ain't got that kinda time. And i just messaged Animal. No response yet. They usually take a while. I might try the cold stretch method.

|

6/3/2018 6:09 PM

How old is your frame? could be the rear end has started pinching in, or the dropouts at the very least.


that outer lock nut is there to prevent the inner one from moving around (IE: keep it from backing off and causing your driver to be loose, or move in and cause it to be too tight) but then again, most hubs only use a single lock nut on the driver anyway so I think it'd be fine as long as you keep an eye on it.

|

6/3/2018 6:14 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

How old is your frame? could be the rear end has started pinching in, or the dropouts at the very least.


that outer lock nut is there to prevent the inner one from moving around (IE: keep it from backing off and causing your driver to be loose, or move in and cause it to be too tight) but then again, most hubs only use a single lock nut on the driver anyway so I think it'd be fine as long as you keep an eye on it.

Frames only a year old. Really haven't been going hard on it to make it pinch in or anything. Could be wrong. And That's why that outer lock nut confused me because I could've swore it was just one lock nut on there like 5 years ago on the original. I'm gonna keep an eye on it. Worse comes to worse i'll cold stretch the frame but HOPEFULLY it should be fine. It's a cassette hub and the inner nut was already tight. The outer nut was the loose one. Weird.

|

6/3/2018 6:50 PM

Measure your dropouts then check the frame specs. Because I don’t recall any frame that is newer not allowing a newer hub to fit. Years ago I bought a Supercross race frame (cromo around 93) and while it took 2 of us we got the wheel in. It was a bitch to do, but still. Have you tried having a friend help?

I am starting to wonder if you have a twisted/slightly bent dropout or stay. A picture of the rear end and then one of the wheel trying to be put in would be very helpful. But measure the back end. If it is fine then their is a chance that they didn’t mill the lock nut right. Defects happen so get us some pictures and measure it...measure the hub too. Then you can compare both sets of specs (and so can we) and see if we can figure it out

|

6/5/2018 2:34 PM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

So here are the pics.
|

6/5/2018 3:49 PM

Measure cone to cone on the hub. I doubt very much they'd make a hub that's wider than 110mm when that's been industry standard forever. Are the cones properly tightened on both sides?

|

6/5/2018 4:20 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Measure cone to cone on the hub. I doubt very much they'd make a hub that's wider than 110mm when that's been industry standard forever. Are the cones properly tightened on both sides?

It's a 113. But i did get it on. I think my right dropout is bent in. I had to force the entire fuck out of it. Cut the palm of my hand and shit. This is just pushing me to get a new frame.

|