Rear flat....

Related:
Create New Tag

3/7/2017 2:05 PM

Yo guys,

Just put together my new complete which was all good and bike is wicked (Hoffman Bama 2016)

Pumped tyres up and after 5 mins got a flat.... didn't go over any glass, hut my back tyre the tiniest bit on a curb.... not enough to cause a flat though.

Did I not have enough pressure in my tyres or not enough? I'm just putting it down to rubbish innertubes or tyres?

All help is brilliant

|

3/7/2017 2:10 PM

Probably just a shitty tube but could you feel the rim when you hit the curb? Could be under inflated. Get a pump with a pressure gauge.

|

3/7/2017 2:15 PM

Roose87 wrote:

Probably just a shitty tube but could you feel the rim when you hit the curb? Could be under inflated. Get a pump with a ...more

No, I couldn't feel the rim when I did. Felt like I hardly hit it really. Wasn't enough in my opinion to burst an innnertube. My tyres say max PSi is 60 but not sure if I should trust that as they seem like basic tyres... what is the recommended PSI?

|

3/7/2017 2:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2017 2:20 PM

Find the puncture and you'll know why you got the flat.

A small pin-prick like hole, somewhere in the center of the tube would be from glass, a nail or a thorn.

2 holes, opposite from each other is probably a snakebite(rim cut into the tube after you rolled up the curb)

A slit in the center of the tube means you had enough tyre pressure but you hit something sharp.

A hole on the rim side of the tube means it's a spoke puncture or there's a sharp-point on your rim.

I'd advise running as high a pressure as you can, it'll save your rims, make you roll better and make it harder to snakebite. That said, you will find a pressure that suits you over time. I run 90 PSI but I can put them up to 110 or 120. If your tyre only goes up to 60, I'd say run the limit. Also, inflate your tube a little before you put it in your tyre and it won't twist up or get caught under your tyre bead.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/7/2017 2:20 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Find the puncture and you'll know why you got the flat.

A small pin-prick like hole, somewhere in the center of the tube ...more

Cheers mate, might be worth me looking into a better tyre then that can take more PSI. Especially while I am still learning

|

3/7/2017 2:24 PM

moranzo wrote:

Cheers mate, might be worth me looking into a better tyre then that can take more PSI. Especially while I am still learning

When I started riding, I was using second or third hand tyres that I could only run 30 PSI in, if it was one of the good ones. I eventually got a good set of tyres and the higher pressure made a huge difference in how my local park rode.

As I said above, inflate your tube a little before you put it in the tyre to avoid it twisting or getting caught under the tyre bead. Other than that, you'll just have to deal with punctures as they come.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/7/2017 2:27 PM

A crooked air valve can also get sliced by the hole in the rim.

Photo
|

3/7/2017 2:30 PM

I'm gonna put it down to low PSI, and rubbish inner tube/tyre.

I think I will invest in good tubes and some decent tyres. I will be riding street and park. And good tyre recommendations?

|

3/7/2017 2:32 PM

make sure ya have a rim strip in, Ive seen many people without them and clueless to it

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

3/7/2017 2:34 PM

moranzo wrote:

I think I will invest in good tubes and some decent tyres. I ...more

The Volume Vaders are great tyres, fairly light-weight, durable, high pressure and they roll really well, I'd recommend them.
I like the Animal MTTs as well, they're pretty much indestructible but very heavy compared to many other tyres.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/7/2017 2:42 PM

moranzo wrote:

I think I will invest in good tubes and some decent tyres. I ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

The Volume Vaders are great tyres, fairly light-weight, durable, high pressure and they roll really well, I'd recommend them. ...more

Thanks for the suggestions,

Im liking the look of the Cult Dehart tyre (slick)

|

3/7/2017 2:48 PM

moranzo wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions,

Im liking the look of the Cult Dehart tyre (slick)

They're nice until you ride in the wet, then they're far too slippy.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

3/7/2017 3:35 PM

Animal tires. Period! Either MTT or the GLH

|

3/7/2017 4:16 PM

cmc wrote:
A crooked air valve can also get sliced by the hole in the rim.

Photo

So much this!

Remember, even if it's just a slight crookedness (not as intense in this photo), the rim is still slowly eating away at the valve.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn