Rear tire keeps rubbing

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2016 10:26 AM

Yesterday I went to my local bike shop and had my rear wheel fixed, they adjusted the spokes, and my rear tire stopped rubbing, now it started rubbing again. Whenever I do a 180 it starts rubbing. And yes I can tell my rear wheel isn't straight. I am now considering to get a new frame and rear wheel, can anyone help me with me problem?

|

M A V R I C K _

8/8/2016 12:29 PM

There's a few reasons it could rub. It's not true, it's not in straight, or your tyre is too wide for the frame. Get a narrower tyre, then it won't rub even if your wheel isn't in straight or is bucked

|

8/8/2016 1:03 PM

When you 180 , your wheel will shift place in the dropouts causing the tire to rub on your frame . You probably landed wrong , and didn't tighten your wheel down a lot . Loosen both bolts and aim your tire to be centre with your frame , and be careful while trying and keep the chain right because it's easy to get it angled to that side .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

8/9/2016 9:38 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

When you 180 , your wheel will shift place in the dropouts causing the tire to rub on your frame . You probably landed wrong , ...more

A new rear wheel and frame is totally not necessary. Take this advice, maybe a slimmer tire as well.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/9/2016 10:05 AM

Mavrick_ wrote:

Yesterday I went to my local bike shop and had my rear wheel fixed, they adjusted the spokes, and my rear tire stopped ...more

I have had this happen when doing my 170's (like a 180...but I don't quite make it all the way around). You need to tighten the rear wheel more, and a chain tensioner will help too.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

8/10/2016 1:29 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

There's a few reasons it could rub. It's not true, it's not in straight, or your tyre is too wide for the frame. Get a ...more

the bike shop only trues the wheel but doesn't tension the spokes so when you do a 180 the spokes might not have enough tension and cause it to rub

|

8/10/2016 1:42 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

There's a few reasons it could rub. It's not true, it's not in straight, or your tyre is too wide for the frame. Get a ...more

Probably your dad wrote:

the bike shop only trues the wheel but doesn't tension the spokes so when you do a 180 the spokes might not have enough ...more

Err, what kind of shop do you go to where they only do half a job? A true should always end up with a proper tension.

|

8/10/2016 5:13 PM

Get a smaller tire

|

8/10/2016 6:13 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Probably your dad wrote:

the bike shop only trues the wheel but doesn't tension the spokes so when you do a 180 the spokes might not have enough ...more

Mychaylo wrote:

Err, what kind of shop do you go to where they only do half a job? A true should always end up with a proper tension.

This. In RARE cases due to a wheel being damaged I have seen them go out with slightly off tension, but it was at customer request and acknowledgement that it was essentially a bandaid on a bullet wound that might buy some time before a replacement rim and spokes were needed.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/10/2016 6:36 PM

Mychaylo wrote:

Ah, he must go to a "bi shop" instead. It's like a bike shop, but everything there is half off and that's how they do their job there as well.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/11/2016 12:10 AM

It depends how bad the buckle is. Sometimes it's not possible to true with perfect tension. However, they should've explained that and said it's not perfect. And they should've suggested a new rim/wheel. I see it all the time. However, if it's truable, it should be dished and tensioned properly

|

8/12/2016 5:51 AM

1.95 tire in the rear...no more tire rub

|

It’s all bmx