Rear tire rubbing on the rear brake

Related:
Create New Tag

10/2/2020 12:08 PM

not on the pads but the arms that are holding the pads. I see a number of bolts not sure which to turn to try and loosen the arms.

Thanks in advance.

|

10/2/2020 12:54 PM

I wouldn’t be touching any of the brake hardware, the issue is likely with your wheel or tyre. It usually means 1 of 3 things:
- your tyre is too wide
- your wheel is buckled
- your wheel isn’t centred in the dropouts.

Is it consistently rubbing, or does it only rub in certain points of the rotation?

|

10/2/2020 1:16 PM

New Built Bike. Ill check for buckling but other than a few curb jumps and some bunny hops the bike is fresh out of the box.
Ill check that the wheel is centered.

|

10/2/2020 1:36 PM

BrodieB wrote:

I wouldn’t be touching any of the brake hardware, the issue is likely with your wheel or tyre. It usually means 1 of 3 things: ...more

On that note, you could also pull the wheel back and if that doesn't help and your wheel is true and centered and it's just that your tyres width is the issue you could (if you have experience) and there is enough meat on your brake arms, slightly shave of some material on the inner side where it's rubbing depending on how much needs removing obviously, if not then just get a smaller tyre that is the simpler quicker option.

|

10/2/2020 1:38 PM

Gsigma wrote:

New Built Bike. Ill check for buckling but other than a few curb jumps and some bunny hops the bike is fresh out of the box.
...more

Oh complete ? If it's complete you shoudn't have any issues and like Brodie said most likely trueness and centering will be the cause. If it's a custom could be any of the 3, then you go to modifying or just purchasing a new tyre which is smaller.

|

10/3/2020 10:42 AM

A photo might help, depending on what is touching the answers here may or may not be relevant. Which part of the brake arm, down near the pad or up near the cable? The side or the top of the tire? Is it one side or both arms?

|

Remember when you could ride all day and not be sore for a week?
Instagram: @theothermaj

10/3/2020 11:07 AM

The brake also may need adjusting. Moving the spacers will allow the brake to close more, moving the arms further from the tyre. You’d just need to pull more cable through to make up the difference.

But yeah, pics would help. Or just fiddle and see if any of these suggestions will cure it

|

10/3/2020 11:14 AM

My new Haro required A LOT of adjustment in the rear brake right out of the box as the brake was engaged with the wheel to the point where the rear wheel wouldn’t spin freely even with no weight on it.

Assuming that everything else looks good, check to see if the distance from the brake pad to the rim is even on both sides. If it’s not, there are tension screws on both sides that will allow adjustment to each side. I’d start there.

|

“Don’t quote me boy cuz I ain’t said shit” - Ghandi

10/4/2020 5:38 PM

.pegless. wrote:

The brake also may need adjusting. Moving the spacers will allow the brake to close more, moving the arms further from the ...more

This if it’s not the wheel being centered, I’ve had it where the arms rub it the spacers aren’t in the right spot on the pads. Same brake tension but different arm position cause the pads are closer or further from the brake arms

|

10/5/2020 5:25 PM

Photo

Here is what I am seeing. My wheel looks centered. its just seems like something happened when I was riding with the breaks. Never worked on brakes so any advice and or diagrams would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the feedback. Glad I signed up.
|

10/5/2020 7:02 PM

Check out the advice from pegless and SFOD above. If you can’t get them tensioned well enough you may have to get a lower profile brake, pull your wheel back a lil further or run a narrower tyre

|

10/6/2020 4:48 AM

Gsigma wrote:

...more

Cellmember wrote:

Oh complete ? If it's complete you shoudn't have any issues and like Brodie said most likely trueness and centering will be ...more

Haro had a run about 2 years ago where this was a huge issue. They cheaped out on the complete's brakes and ran some like 2.3's, and the tires rubbed the brake arms with the tread of the tire (not sides). The only option was replacement brake arms. They were a pain to deal with in getting something done at that time too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/6/2020 6:31 AM

Judging from the pic, the brake isn’t designed to be used on a frame with wide tyre clearance. My suggestion would be to upgrade the brake to an odyssey evo 2.5, which is specifically designed for wider frames. Some adjustments might help, but it looks like a design flaw to me as the brake arms already look about as closed as they can be before interfering with each other when the brake is pulled

|

10/6/2020 8:32 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Judging from the pic, the brake isn’t designed to be used on a frame with wide tyre clearance. My suggestion would be to ...more

The evos say they are good for wide tires but the tolerance for wide frames is iffy. I had a WTP revolver and the stays were to wide for the evos to operate properly.

|

10/6/2020 11:06 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Judging from the pic, the brake isn’t designed to be used on a frame with wide tyre clearance. My suggestion would be to ...more

BigMeanPunk wrote:

The evos say they are good for wide tires but the tolerance for wide frames is iffy. I had a WTP revolver and the stays were ...more

The 2.5 is designed specifically for wider frames, it’s wider than the regular evo

|

10/6/2020 11:51 AM

.pegless. wrote:

The 2.5 is designed specifically for wider frames, it’s wider than the regular evo

That is what they say... but on the revolver the arms were too far apart. They always would hit and operate like crap. I had an old thread about it somewhere. My old complete brakes (Eclat Talon) worked better on the Revolver than the evo 2.5s..

On my S&M ATF that I ride now... the Evo 2.5s are amazing.

|

10/6/2020 12:39 PM

.pegless. wrote:

This on a complete bike. The new CULT 2021 Devotion. Thanks for all of the replys I will take a look at it this weekend. Not ready to go brakeless yet.

|

10/6/2020 1:54 PM

BrodieB wrote:

Check out the advice from pegless and SFOD above. If you can’t get them tensioned well enough you may have to get a lower ...more

A lower profile brake wont do anything for him unless it's for chainstay mounts to get as much clearance from the chain as possible.

|

10/6/2020 7:37 PM

BigMeanPunk wrote:

The evos say they are good for wide tires but the tolerance for wide frames is iffy. I had a WTP revolver and the stays were ...more

.pegless. wrote:

BigMeanPunk wrote:

That is what they say... but on the revolver the arms were too far apart. They always would hit and operate like crap. I had ...more

Sorry mate, misunderstood. Thought you meant the regular evo 2

|

10/6/2020 8:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2020 8:18 PM

Get a smaller rear tire? You could also try flipping the spacers on the brake pad and pull the brake cable a little more thru the cable hangar piece

|

It’s all bmx

10/19/2020 2:00 PM

Since this was a complete bike I reached out to CULT and then sent me new break arms. I will install them this weekend and get back out there.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback and suggestions. Stay safe!

|

10/20/2020 1:21 PM

Also, from the pic it looks like it's rubbing on only one arm? And narrowly missing the other
Check if your wheel is out of dish
And yeah, get different brakes

Also, run a higher pressure as it will rub even more when you ride it, at low pressure

|