Rebuild or make a new one

Related:
Create New Tag

10/18/2017 2:42 AM

Still debating if I want to build a fully new custom or just overhaul my current one, if I do the overhaul I'll be replacing almost everything other then bars grips and seat as there brand new
Photo

|

Ride till you die

10/18/2017 3:03 AM

Make a new one, if you have the space to keep more bikes.
Like that you'll have a spare bike, or you can sell it

|

10/18/2017 3:55 AM

Depends on your disposable income. I buy parts I want then sell the old to recoup some of my money. I sometimes buy parts just because I like them with no real intention of ever using them, and I've always got parts I don't need but won't sell for what they're worth, so I keep them as spares. Photo
I mocked this up out of spares yesterday. All it needs is brake mounts, a headset (I've got a new one on the way. So my current will be spare). And a wheel set. I either bought the parts new and don't want to sell at a loss, got them in a good deal, or I like em too much to get rid of them. But I kind of decided I don't need any of it so I'll probably sell it all.
I can't afford to build a new bike though. But my bike is dialled so even if I could I wouldn't

|

10/18/2017 12:49 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Depends on your disposable income. I buy parts I want then sell the old to recoup some of my money. I sometimes buy parts just because I like them with no real intention of ever using them, and I've always got parts I don't need but won't sell for what they're worth, so I keep them as spares. Photo
I mocked this up out of spares yesterday. All it needs is brake mounts, a headset (I've got a new one on the way. So my current will be spare). And a wheel set. I either bought the parts new and don't want to sell at a loss, got them in a good deal, or I like em too much to get rid of them. But I kind of decided I don't need any of it so I'll probably sell it all.
I can't afford to build a new bike though. But my bike is dialled so even if I could I wouldn't

KEEP IT FOR YOUR KID!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/18/2017 1:29 PM

Im thinking of rebuilding for now then at some point get a new frame transfer the good stuff and make a spare out of the used stuff

|

Ride till you die

10/18/2017 1:49 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

KEEP IT FOR YOUR KID!

Yeah that was another thought, some bits I'll keep, but others will be too big for him. Like the frame is 21", cranks are 180mm. And he's not having the seat or the bottleneck haha

|

10/18/2017 3:27 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah that was another thought, some bits I'll keep, but others will be too big for him. Like the frame is 21", cranks are 180mm. And he's not having the seat or the bottleneck haha

Touche'.

I like having setups that are different-brakes VS none, pegs VS none etc.

I had a front brake only, 4 peg coaster setup for a while along with my rear brake only, gyro and cassette bike with 2 pegs. Fun times.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/18/2017 3:29 PM

Cam-bmx wrote:

Im thinking of rebuilding for now then at some point get a new frame transfer the good stuff and make a spare out of the used stuff

That's the way to do it!

|

10/18/2017 11:47 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

KEEP IT FOR YOUR KID!

grumpySteve wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Touche'.

I had a front brake only, 4 peg coaster setup for a while along with my rear brake only, gyro and cassette bike with 2 pegs. Fun times.

Yeah I'm still tempted to build this and have it as a commuting and cruising bike. Might even grow balls to ride trails next year. Plus it would be fun to play with a brake again. But having 2 bikes just so I can have a brake seems a bit excessive!

|

10/18/2017 11:58 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

Touche'.

grumpySteve wrote:

Yeah I'm still tempted to build this and have it as a commuting and cruising bike. Might even grow balls to ride trails next year. Plus it would be fun to play with a brake again. But having 2 bikes just so I can have a brake seems a bit excessive!

Does your current frame not have brake posts or threads to install brake posts?

|

10/19/2017 12:39 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Was gonna say, looks trailsy!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

10/19/2017 12:43 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Touche'.

grumpySteve wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Nah, I've been brakeless for nearly 15 years. So thought there's no point in having all the ugly bits on my frame that I'll never use. Tried a brake for a couple of days a few years ago and hated the feeling of the lever on my bars. I've already built this frame up with a brake at the beginning of summer. But it didn't feel as nice so it only lasted about 10 minutes

|

10/19/2017 12:47 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

Nah, I've been brakeless for nearly 15 years. So thought there's no point in having all the ugly bits on my frame that I'll never use. Tried a brake for a couple of days a few years ago and hated the feeling of the lever on my bars. I've already built this frame up with a brake at the beginning of summer. But it didn't feel as nice so it only lasted about 10 minutes

I get you, if youve been riding that way for 15 years, seems pointless to run brakes in your case.

|