Redline 24 pro flight for a big guy

Related:
Create New Tag

5/22/2019 11:27 AM

Hello im new here and new to riding. thanks to those who make this place possible.

My kids have started riding street and we have a pretty good pump track here in okc and i want to get in on the fun. But im 6’1 270 Im athletic work out every day. Im one of those guys who at 235lb is getting into single digit body fat. So im always gonna put alot of stress on a bike.

i saw a redline pro flight 24 for sale locally. Im not gonna do anything crazy and get hurt to begin with.
I just dont want to buy something that will fold under my weight. Usually in the summer i drop down to 245-250. Will this thing hold up

|

5/22/2019 2:21 PM

Just because a 24 inch is bigger than a 20 doesn't necessarily mean its going to be stronger. Just throwing that out there. But if you're set on that size I'd go for a Sunday Model C instead. Or even a Kink Drifter if you want to try a 26"

|

5/22/2019 9:08 PM

The Redline is a racing bike. Not really meant for abuse. Something like the Model C mentioned above would be better. Although the Model C is almost all hi-ten and not chromoly. There are other 24s that are similar but have better specs like the Stolen Saint XLT or the Colony Eclipse. WTP also make a full chromoly 24 but it is more race inspired than the other 2. There's probably a few others. Sometimes Subrosa does a 24. I don't know if thet have one this year. Verde and DK also but not sure about this year.

|

5/24/2019 7:41 AM

Get the Redline and ride with you kids. Pro bmx'ers are 6'+ 200+ and ripped. They generate huge power and take massive jumps. They don't spin in the air, to the bikes aren't meant to take high side forces. But straight ahead, over the whoops, you will have no problem.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

5/24/2019 1:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/24/2019 1:47 PM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Just because a 24 inch is bigger than a 20 doesn't necessarily mean its going to be stronger. Just throwing that out there. But if you're set on that size I'd go for a Sunday Model C instead. Or even a Kink Drifter if you want to try a 26"

Sunday model C is expensive and not top quality, material-wise.

And yes, bigger does not translate to extra strength always.

|